Apple leases 1,300-worker Cupertino office space amid growth surge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has signed a deal to take over 373,000 square feet of office space in its home town of Cupertino, Calif., even as it plans new headquarters that will take up a mammoth 1 million square feet.

The San Jose Mercury News reported on Wednesday that Apple has "struck a deal to lease a big office campus" in the city that could provide 1,300 of its workers with space.

City officials have confirmed the deal, which will allow the iPhone maker to rent 373,000 square feet of the former Measurex campus, now known as Results Way Coporate Center.

"This is all good news for the city," said Kelly Kline, who serves as the city's economic development manager. "Apple is the premier corporation in Cupertino." Kline expects Apple to perform renovation work before it moves in.

"Apple is going through remarkable growth," said Todd Shaffer, a senior vice president with realty firm Cornish & Carey Commercial. "Results Way is one of the few large campuses that they could lease. Apple has been expanding aggressively in Cupertino."

Results Way Corporate Center

Space has grown tight in Silicon Valley as major tech companies wrangle to grab space as they expand. One commercial real estate agent told the Mercury News the area hadn't seen this kind of expansion since the dot-com boom era in the late 1990s.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs presented his solution for the space squeeze last month: a massive circular building a curved glass exterior intended to house roughly 12,000 employees. By comparison, Apple's current headquarters at One Infinite Loop, which Jobs intends to keep alongside the proposed new campus, holds about 2,600 employees.

"Apple's grown like a weed. And, as you know, we've always been in Cupertino." Jobs said at a city council meeting. The company struggled to find space for its 12,000 employees based in the area, resorting to renting offices "at an ever greater radius" from its headquarters.

Jobs compared the proposed building to a spaceship, noting that Apple may "have a shot at building the best office building in the world." The new building would sit on nearly 150 acres of land, 80 percent of which would be landscaped.

The company had for years planned to build a new 50-acre Cupertino campus, but got held up in the rezoning process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    80% of 150 acres will be landscaped. That's 120 acres!!!! You have shortage of land yet u are using those lands for landscaping. Don't u have better option, Steve?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I wonder if it would make sense to open an east coast office, maybe in Boston or research triangle in North Carolina? It would give them better access to the east coast labor market and provide some geographical diversification (which could be handy for reducing risks from natural disasters).
  • Reply 3 of 22
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

80% of 150 acres will be landscaped. That's 120 acres!!!! You have shortage of land yet u are using those lands for landscaping. Don't u have better option, Steve?

No. They needed the land rezoned. Green space makes that easier. And this isn't Manhattan. Landscaping is good.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if it would make sense to open an east coast office, maybe in Boston or research triangle in North Carolina? It would give them better access to the east coast labor market and provide some geographical diversification (which could be handy for reducing risks from natural disasters).

The east coast office is in Virginia. Most of engineering is centralized in Cupertino however.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

No. They needed the land rezoned. Green space makes that easier. And this isn't Manhattan. Landscaping is good.

Not saying that they don't need the open space to get city approval, but suburban sprawl is only green on the surface.

And I thought the proposed new campus with the Spaceship Apple on it was a very recent proposal, which does not align with the quoted spent years in rezoning in the post. Perhaps the rezoning reference is to another proposed location?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Of course, but then they wouldn't be called Designed in California, would they?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It's the new LEGAL department.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    since NYC accounts fot 1/2 of APPLE sales in the USA

Brooklyn Ship yards should get the next server farm / office space .

kidding
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Not saying that they don't need the open space to get city approval, but suburban sprawl is only green on the surface.

Let's not get that started again! This area was already sprawled, Apple is just increasing the density on the land and increasing the greenery.

Quote:

And I thought the proposed new campus with the Spaceship Apple on it was a very recent proposal, which does not align with the quoted spent years in rezoning in the post. Perhaps the rezoning reference is to another proposed location?

I guess it's referring to this

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=6415

which is the same location apparently - presumably the rezoning is from light industrial to commercial.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

• Reply 11 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yes you could well be correct there.

BTW.. have to say ...Your footer is total BS. Maybe it's a joke? If Google innovated as opposed to copying it would be far better for all. What if Apple had just copied others? We'd have no true smart phones as we do today and no tablet market only crappy netbooks. Defending Google copying as some how a noble act is the most absurd statement I have seen since Fox called their daily soap 'news'.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

BTW.. have to say ...Your footer is total BS. Maybe it's a joke? If Google innovated as opposed to copying it would be far better for all. What if Apple had just copied others? We'd have no true smart phones as we do today and no tablet market only crappy netbooks. Defending Google copying as some how a noble act is the most absurd statement I have seen since Fox called their daily soap 'news'.

Well said!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:

Another thought -- maybe a European office? London or Paris? Then their products could read "Designed in California and London/Paris", which would sound pretty good...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    His Steveness describing Apple's growth as "like a weed" has to be one of the greatest Steve head-scratchers of all time. Not exactly the best chosen words from someone who usually chooses his words more carefully.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

His footer is just a pointed variant on the actual quote: "If Google didn't act, it faced a draconian future where one man, one phone, one carrier were our choice."
  • Reply 16 of 22
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Don't be so shortsighted .... it's not necessary to "build the future" all at once.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Another thought -- maybe a European office? London or Paris? Then their products could read "Designed in California and London/Paris", which would sound pretty good...

I think it could work, any city with a good base of design and technical talent might work well. I wonder how much it really matters to have all your design & development facilities in one city. The reasons I can think of are more emotional in an age of video conferencing, screen sharing and next day air shipping eating away at the logical reasons for centralized design.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Besides the mothership in Cupertino, they should also design a daughtership(smaller scaled down version of the main HQ). Then to get the most bang for your buck, build daughterships in every major city in which Apple has large corporate offices. They should all be almost identical like the retail stores.

New York

Austin

Los Angeles

London

Paris

Tokyo

Beijing

Sydney
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Besides the mothership in Cupertino, they should also design a daughtership(smaller scaled down version of the main HQ). Then to get the most bang for your buck, build daughterships in every major city in which Apple has large corporate offices. They should all be almost identical like the retail stores.

New York

Austin

Los Angeles

London

Paris

Tokyo

Beijing

Sydney

None of your feminine toroids for us in London please, we prefer our curved glass buildings to be phallic.

or at least testicular.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it could work, any city with a good base of design and technical talent might work well. I wonder how much it really matters to have all your design & development facilities in one city. The reasons I can think of are more emotional in an age of video conferencing, screen sharing and next day air shipping eating away at the logical reasons for centralized design.

eight hours time difference

As somebody who has worked as part of a global team with people in NY and HK, trust me it becomes a huge pain.