Users report issues installing Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Well Well, I've had Mac's long enough to know to wait till all the bricks are thrown in. You guys find all the glitches and bugs an I'll wait for 10.7.1 comes out. I won't be long.

I'm waiting until 10.7.2 so all you early adopters can find all the glitches and bugs in 10.7.1.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoardo View Post

The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work.

And how is this Lion's fault? How is this even Apple's fault?
  • Reply 23 of 111
    haineuxhaineux Posts: 5member
    If Lion says your disk has S.M.A.R.T. errors, it probably does.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/ is excellent software. Install it.

You can configure it to have no UI -- it'll then use no CPU except once every hour or so, when it asks the drive about its SMART status. If the drive reports a problem, SMART Reporter emails you.

Note that some drives do not report SMART errors unless the drive is already very very badly broken, and pretty much all drives last about two years these days, so you really, REALLY need a backup solution.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    edoardoedoardo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And how is this Lion's fault? How is this even Apple's fault?

Let's not start fanboying it up so quickly, cowboy.... Just making an observation. Did Apple walk into my house and pistol-whip my Adobe? No. Did Lion call my Acrobat up with a bomb threat? No. But it worked yesterday and now it does not. Relax.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    haineuxhaineux Posts: 5member
    Quote:

The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work.

Adobe has published a detailed article about Lion compatibility for their products.

Maybe it explains how to fix your situation.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    It took 4.5 hours to install Lion on my iMac (late 2010), starting at 8:45 in the morning yesterday. The download was slow; after the download it started to install the program, but when it reached "9 minutes" remaining, it stayed on that message for at least 1.5 hours until I turned the machine off. I then restarted the machine. At startup it seemed to run okay at first. After an hour it froze and I had to restart it. I had to restart it so far 5 times in one day because it freezes. This machine is a quad4 (i5) with 16 G of memory. I have shut down most of my programs this afternoon and so far so good. I think maybe, just maybe my Fusion program may be at fault, but that is just a wild guess. I now have Fusion powered off.

But my MacbookPro (2011) downloaded Lion and installed Lion in less than an hour. So far no problems with this machine and the Lion OS. I don't have VM Fusion on this machine.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    edoardoedoardo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haineux View Post

Adobe has published a detailed article about Lion compatibility for their products.

Maybe it explains how to fix your situation.

I wish it did... just the typical 'we are aware' bs. thanks!
  • Reply 28 of 111
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexxcream View Post

What the problem with this picture? Not that I will be installing it anyway (because Spaces is gone) but it is nonetheless interesting:

http://content.screencast.com/users/...b/00001103.png

Spaces is still there. It's now part of Mission Control and works quite well.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No install problems!!!

TextEdit seems to be buggy as hell but no problem as I don't use it much at all. Some of the new behavior takes some getting use to but I'm already getting the hang of it.

On the positive side it does look like Lion will extend the life of my Mac Book Pro a bit. In general it seems to be faster and when things do beach ball it isn't for long. Somethings have considerably improved behavior with iTunes being significantly snappier. Really it is noticeably quicker, and of course Safari is snappier.

Speaking of Safari this is a major upgrade, I'm surprised they only bumped the release number to 5.1. Take a look at the new features for some of us it is worth an upgrade to Lion all oN it's own.

Python gets upgraded to 2.7.1.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

And thus why to always wait for a .x release. Thanks for the good work beta testers!

In this case I think you are wrong about waiting. This is a massive release no doubt but it immediately brings a bunch of valuable features to users. Considering this Lion appears to be surprisingly stable. For me it has breathed new life into old hardware, that is a good thing.

As a side note installation does take a long time. The thing here is that you have to upgrade multiple apps, install Java if you need it and otherwise futz around. On the bright side some of those upgrades are offering up new Lion functionality.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Have you purchased Lion? The download is an installer, so you have actually installed the installer app in your Applications folder. This is not incorrect.

According to my bank account I have not purchased Lion.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Spaces is still there. It's now part of Mission Control and works quite well.

Not if you work in grid mode with 16 desktops.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:

Users who have experienced that particular issue tend to have multiple partitions on their Mac, which could be causing the problems. Users utilizing Apple's Boot Camp software to run both Windows and Linux installations in addition to OS X have reported problems with installing Lion.

I figured this would be a problem because of the "recover partition" that is supposedly created.

Always backup first!
  • Reply 33 of 111
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Installed fine for me. I made my own Lion thumb drive. Did a clean install - living it up now...
  • Reply 34 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I had no problem upgrading my wife?s 2008 iMac, which I first upgraded to 10.6 (she was worried about printing problems which I had after upgrading my Mac Pro to 10.6 at first). Then I updated it to 10.6.8 with the combo updater I kept around, then Finally to 10.7.

But I updated my 2009 Mac Pro, also without issues, and then have had two, still unresolved.

The first is that I haven't been able to update iTunes to 10.4. I tried it twice, but both times had a message of an unexpected problem. I turned the machine off, and then back on, but with the same problem. So I've got 10.3.1 still.

Then I tempted to update my iPad to 4.3.4, but keep getting the message that it couldn't begin a session.

Haven't looked to see the iTunes version on my wife's machine, and she hasn't tried to update her iPad, because she did that a couple of days ago.

Otherwise, so far, all is well.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    tslynntslynn Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter777 View Post

It took 4.5 hours to install Lion on my iMac (late 2010), starting at 8:45 in the morning yesterday. The download was slow; after the download it started to install the program, but when it reached "9 minutes" remaining, it stayed on that message for at least 1.5 hours until I turned the machine off. I then restarted the machine. At startup it seemed to run okay at first. After an hour it froze and I had to restart it. I had to restart it so far 5 times in one day because it freezes. This machine is a quad4 (i5) with 16 G of memory. I have shut down most of my programs this afternoon and so far so good. I think maybe, just maybe my Fusion program may be at fault, but that is just a wild guess. I now have Fusion powered off.

But my MacbookPro (2011) downloaded Lion and installed Lion in less than an hour. So far no problems with this machine and the Lion OS. I don't have VM Fusion on this machine.

I have a MacBook (the one thats now being discontinued....)

For me, it took 5-5.5 hours (from 6 pm to 11-1130 PM) and at the last minute it gave me the message: "Error has occurred. Unable to install. Please check your network connections," or something to that effect. I freaked out for a couple minutes, and hit the install (and this was just for downloading, not the actuall installing) button on my Purchase screen, totally thinking it would restart from the very beginning-- but, it just continued and finished the download... Not sure if i'm ready to Install it yet....
  • Reply 36 of 111
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Downloaded and installed fine on my //e.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Downloaded and installed fine on my //e.

Also confirmed for the eMate 300; works fine here.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

1) This is 100% Adobe's fault and not Apple's

2) Without telling us which of the many hundreds of Adobe suites it is, no one can suggest solutions for you.

3) The biggest change vis a vis Adobe for Lion is that all the crappy Java stuff and Flash stuff they use will be screwed up.

Try updating the Java (it's not automatically updated anymore), and it will likely work again as long as it's not CS4 or before.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Let's not start fanboying it up so quickly, cowboy.... Just making an observation. Did Apple walk into my house and pistol-whip my Adobe? No. Did Lion call my Acrobat up with a bomb threat? No. But it worked yesterday and now it does not. Relax.

Seriously you need to realize that some software will have issues. If you are running apps from a company known for producing crap don't you think it would have been a good idea to be conservative with your upgrade.

Look at it this way, I upgraded to Lion without even doing a backup. I did so knowing that if I did have issues I would need to either delete a software package, upgrade it or find a replacement. So far no huge problems. That includes both commercial and open source software. So don't expect us to feel sorry for you because Adobe sucks.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    I had the same problem when I was installing the preview from WWDC. I had to boot in single user mode and run fsck -y to repair my disc. It was the only thing that worked for me... but once I did that it installed perfectly.

I'm running a MacBook 5,1 - 8 gb ram.