Users report issues installing Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

(30'' ACD each space is rendered larger than 13'' macbook pro screen)

Depends on the number of Spaces you had, obviously. This isn't always the case.

Quote:

In Lion spaces is integrated into expose and previews are tiny. You have to switch to the space to see what's going on in there.

I can tell. You should definitely look at them.

Quote:

I'm openly calling Lion Apple's Vista.

Be serious, now.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvavvas View Post

I installed LION yesterday on a quad core iMac, eight core Mac Pro and Last generation MacAIr

It was the easiest install ever. 10 -15 minutes for download per machine and 30 minutes for installation.

It recognized that I had bought it and did not charge me.

In all machines it did say that there is an error in downloading and asked me to retry. The download icon o the Dock did not reappear but it did download it and installed it without a glitch

I doubt that was enough test cases, go get yourself a macbook pro, macbook and a new macbook air and report to us
  • Reply 63 of 111
    It certainly appears that the problems are fairly light for a release of this magnitude, but the popularity seems to be causing some delays. For more than an hour the download icon has been showing a "waiting" message.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A handful of Mac users have reported problems upgrading their system to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, with various error messages, problems and quirks stemming from the Mac App Store download.

• Reply 64 of 111
    No problems with the install for me.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    mex4ericmex4eric Posts: 48member
    Download took about 2 hours via my 4.2 Mb/s DSL connection. Copied and burnt the installer onto a DVD and then ran the installer on my machine. Took twice as long as promised, an hour instead of the 30 minutes it promised.

The took the DVD and installed on my wife's machine to avoid the second download. Worked like a charm, and I still have the DVD for whatever. (didn't have a 4 GB stick handy.)

Both machines are running just fine. Stripping out a few old PPC programs and drivers that no longer work and getting used to the reverse scrolling. Hence, no installation issues using two different methods, of course, my disks are not partitioned funny or defective.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

...getting used to the reverse scrolling.

You, uh, can change that back to be a sane way to scroll, you know.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Well Well, I've had Mac's long enough to know to wait till all the bricks are thrown in. You guys find all the glitches and bugs an I'll wait for 10.7.1 comes out. I won't be long.

Here here! Apple are a great company, they make really great hardware and software, but if one is depending on his/her machine for a living then it's almost idiocy to upgrade straight away.

If I didn't depend on my machines I'd probably take a punt at it, but I'm sorry if you need to work on your mac, don't upgrade yet! Wait for the kinks to be ironed out I say!
  • Reply 68 of 111
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm waiting until 10.7.2 so all you early adopters can find all the glitches and bugs in 10.7.1.

I'm waiting until 10.7.2 because that's how long it will take for me to replace all my PowerPC software.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Depends on the number of Spaces you had, obviously. This isn't always the case.

I can tell. You should definitely look at them.

Be serious, now.

How hard is it for you to type with Jobs' balls on your chin?

Can you see the keyboard?
  • Reply 70 of 111
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoardo View Post

The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work.

I guess a graphics professional should maybe have checked software compatibility before upgrading? I guess this is where u revert to your back up from time machine.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Can you see the keyboard?

That's the weirdest insult I've ever heard. I'd quote it except it's absolutely horrible.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    biggbigg Posts: 7member
    I like having an actual install disc of some kind. Which is Why I will be doing this with a flash drive and or DVD.

I'm betting that the problems people are having are coming from the way the downloaded Lion installer makes an invisible partition on the user's hard drive to install from. That might work for most setups, but there's bound to be issues with that. Call me old school, but no me gusta.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    "The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work."

Hmmmm. Did you not think of doing any research about program compatibility with Lion BEFORE you decided to purchase, download, and install the software? This sounds to me like nothing more than USER ERROR. I am sorry your apps don't work correctly at present (though I believe Adobe has posted a temporary fix for this concerning installing Java files), but you could have avoided the whole mess simply by doing a little online research. Don't blame Apple. They didn't point a gun to your head and force you to do anything.
  • Reply 74 of 111
    I have several partitions, and no problem at all.

Turns out that there is no patch to stupidity. If your retarded with computers, take your mac to an apple store, and say you bought Lion and is having trouble to install.

Ppl who don't even know the difference between buying an application at the app store and LAUNCHING the thing from their HD should not even be using computers. Buy an iPad, ONLY and iPad...
  • Reply 75 of 111
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoardo View Post

The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work.

Sounds like your copy of acrobat pro is either not up to date or is a pirate copy. CS 5.5 working fine on Lion on my mac.
  • Reply 76 of 111
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the weirdest insult I've ever heard. I'd quote it except it's absolutely horrible.

Maybe Steve deigning to rest his sack on one's chin is in fact the highest of honors. Now Ballmer's sweaty nuts, that can only be an insult.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

Download took about 2 hours via my 4.2 Mb/s DSL connection. Copied and burnt the installer onto a DVD and then ran the installer on my machine. Took twice as long as promised, an hour instead of the 30 minutes it promised.

The took the DVD and installed on my wife's machine to avoid the second download. Worked like a charm, and I still have the DVD for whatever. (didn't have a 4 GB stick handy.)

Both machines are running just fine. Stripping out a few old PPC programs and drivers that no longer work and getting used to the reverse scrolling. Hence, no installation issues using two different methods, of course, my disks are not partitioned funny or defective.

Doesn't fit on a 4gb stick anyway.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    First off, OSX Lion installed perfectly fine and without incident on my wife's MacBook. My MacMini was nearly flawless, I did have to resign into my Apple ID but aside from that--I had no issues there.

However, my MacPro was another beast entirely. I use FileVault to secure my hard drives as I'm a business owner with very sensitive client data. I didn't think twice of having an issue with this, but I did. My user account on my MacPro was unable to be logged into. I could log into other user accounts without a problem but not the user account I mainly used. The user password and master paswords just simply refused to let me into the computer. Resetting passwords didn't work either.

I ended up restoring my system using Time Machine to the moment before I installed OSX Lion. I then decrypted my user folder & turned off all FileVault features. I then was able to reinstall OSX Lion and get into my user account without any problems.

The other problem, which I'm still looking into, is USB ports. I have two USB PCIX cards and they weren't working properly. Some ports worked & then suddenly stopped working. I also noticed that the native USB ports that came with the MacPro had issues. For example, I could have the keyboard plugged into the front USB port but the mouse wouldn't work properly if plugged into the keyboard. The mouse still had a light on it, but did not work.

It just seems that there's some weird issue with power and USB ports, mainly my aftermarket ones, but also somewhat the original ports. Again, I've only had OSX Lion installed on the MacPro for less than 2 hrs so I'm still trying it out.

Chris Powers

[email protected]

www.powersbydesign.com
  • Reply 79 of 111
    mcdaviesmcdavies Posts: 43member
    I 2.16g 20" iMac. No issues. Then I tried to log into government (Air Force) site with my CAC. No go. quick search reveal that CAC are no longer supported out of the box. Snap!.

Another search and i found PKard. Paid my money, installed and now works with no issue. I did not wan't to spend the money but the site said OWA would work. Tried it and it worked. Great, now i can work from home.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    The only problem I had installing Lion on my 2010 Air, was making Lion work more like Snow Leopard! I had a ton of prefs and changes I had to do to make it work like a ...... well, a Mac!

Otherwise, all installed well and is Aok.