Chinese counterfeiting extends to full-blown fake Apple retail stores

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    And that is why I live in America...
  • Reply 82 of 89
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    This particular store is selling genuine Apple products, maybe grey market, but genuine Apple products.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Apple iPhone5 (32GB) (Unlocked)

Item No.:

Package Size: 15.4-Inch

Gross weight: 9.2 (Kg)

Price: US$1152 US$752

Quantity:

Product Description

Product Description

Concept Design: Bar

Network mode: GSM, CDMA2000

Touch screen: capacitive screen, multi-touch

Camera pixels: 800 million pixels

The main screen size: 4.0 inches

Operating System: iOS 5

Bluetooth: Support

CPU Frequency: 1536MHz

GPS Navigation: Support

Available space: 16GB/32GB/64GB

Video Player: Support MP4/3GP/AVC/AVI/MPEG-4 other formats

E-book: Support

CPU Type: Apple A5

CPU Frequency: 1536 MHz

Body color: black, white
  • Reply 84 of 89
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alew View Post

And that is why I live in America...

....but still get products from China. America is just a show and tell place (sales/marketing) for the Apple products. The actual building and quality control things are done in China. Yes, I do know the design and developments are done in America. Not everything that is formulated and conceptualized come out to the way the designers or engineers predicted. Apple's products become reality in China, not in America.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

priceless

Yeah, I mean check out the swagger on that Chinese "Apple employee" in the blue shirt... They even managed to duplicate that perfectly!
  • Reply 86 of 89
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If that is the case, Apple should do nothing.

Er, no. Apple Authorized Resellers and Apple Premium Resellers are under tight regulation around the world (well, most of it outside of China, anyway). Apple Premium Reseller stores look very close to Apple Stores but there are significant controls and measures to ensure the "pure" official Apple Store experience remains intact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

Will fake Steve Jobs be visiting this store?

Nice one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I am actually sorry for the poor "employees" who think they work for Apple. Look at that chinese guy posing for the picture... Some day soon he'll be coming home to his wife and explaining he lost his job and actually never had what he thought he had...

It is better to have loved and lost... yada yada yada. Perhaps it is better to have thoroughly believed and experienced working for "Apple" than not at all.

I'm sure he'll be fine. What's his wife going to do, take back all the "I'm so proud of you" sex?
  • Reply 87 of 89
    Despite all the naysayers.

It IS an Apple reseller.

It looks like a store selling Apple products - much like any other store selling apple products.

They *are* selling apple products.

No big story here.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanghailoz View Post

Despite all the naysayers.

It IS an Apple reseller.

It looks like a store selling Apple products - much like any other store selling apple products.

They *are* selling apple products.

No big story here.

It's not an Apple authorized reseller, and apparently the customers who thought they were buying from a legit Apple Store think it's a big deal.

If people bring their purchases in for warranty repair, they're fucked, since Apple isn't going to accept this "reseller just like any other" as a legitimate sales channel, any more than they'd accept a street vendor's goods for warranty repair. That's pretty much the entire point of "authorized." So unless this store cloned the entire hardware/software support system, it most certainly is a big deal.

I'm sort of fascinated that you can't seem to bring yourself to even begin to understand the underlying problem-- that you imagine that if a store sells Apple's stuff, by any mechanism they choose, then they become a proper "reseller" and all is well.

I'm also not sure why I'm supposed to trust the proprietors of this store. If they think it's perfectly fine to copy an Apple Store to the point that they have fooled and confused their own customers, why wouldn't they think it was fine to sell counterfeit Apple gear, as long as, in their judgement, those counterfeits were "just as good" as Apple's stuff? That's the standard, right? As long as you figure stuff is a good enough clone, it doesn't really matter if it's real or not?
  • Reply 89 of 89
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Unless the policy has changed, Apple will honor their warranties no matter who sells you the product. (This may be required by law in some countries, but I'm uncertain.) I'd be wary of grey market goods for other reasons, however. They could be used, repackaged, or stolen.