Apple rumored to consider bid for Hulu video service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if their sucktastic streaming content was anywhere near their DVD-by-mail selection?

Agree wholeheartedly. I just recently put my Netflix account on suspension. I was sick of the constant buffering, pixelation, SD being (seemingly) passed of HD, etc. I'll check back a couple of months from now and see if their quality has improved. If it hasn't, I'll kiss them goodbye.

Quote:

Old Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited): $9.99 + tax

New Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited): $15.98 + tax

Ignoring any small rounding error, that's close enough to 60% in my book.

You were also correct in saying "60%".
  • Reply 22 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And Apple can outbid them all if it really wants Hulu. That's the beauty of having almost $80 billion in the bank.

The real beauty is that they would want it to get it off the market. Taking away a choice that would prevent the networks from playing ball with Apple. They wouldn't be able to 'stick with hulu for now', cause there would be no hulu
  • Reply 23 of 59
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Wouldn't it be great if you stopped assuming people kept the rips? Once you've seen a movie, you've seen it. The difference is that the rips don't force you to watch spoonfed trailers, etc.

VLC will also skip all the crud without needing to bother ripping.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The real beauty is that they would want it to get it off the market. Taking away a choice that would prevent the networks from playing ball with Apple. They wouldn't be able to 'stick with hulu for now', cause there would be no hulu

This is a great point.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agree wholeheartedly. I just recently put my Netflix account on suspension. I was sick of the constant buffering, pixelation, SD being (seemingly) passed of HD, etc. I'll check back a couple of months from now and see if their quality has improved. If it hasn't, I'll kiss them goodbye.

You were also correct in saying "60%".

Just have to say in NetFlix's defense that at home I have never seen it buffer other than a second or two at the start and most is in HD with no pixelation, even SD is pretty good. I am on an uprated 30/30 FiOS and using AE. However, when I tried the same set up while on vacation I saw what you do, that was using Time Warner Road Runner.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This makes no sense at all.

Hulu is not even in the top three, is USA only, and generally when you buy a company like that you *don't* buy it's agreements and contracts with providers, so Apple would be in effect buying nothing but the name (and the name is not that popular or useful).

If you live in the USA and like to watch "The Office" then maybe hulu means something to you, but for the most part it's a tiny also ran company that isn't really worth much. Apple could buy Netflix at triple the going rate and not even blink, but they want to buy hulu instead?

Ridiculous.

I think the agreements in place would continue, else there is no point.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just have to say in NetFlix's defense that at home I have never seen it buffer other than a second or two at the start and most is in HD with no pixelation, even SD is pretty good. I am on an uprated 30/30 FiOS and using AE. However, when I tried the same set up while on vacation I saw what you do, that was using Time Warner Road Runner.

I don't have FiOS, unfortunately. But my (cable) download speeds are pretty decent, much higher than the national average. And, I use an ethernet connection, not wifi, so that I get better download speeds.

I think that it's a pipe width problem at their end.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Rather it were in the hands of Apple (mac+win) than Kabletown.

Kabletown.....how many on here get that reference?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Not sure how this article fails to mention Crackle...
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

wow, you must live in net fix's upstairs apartment!!

netflix streaming laaaaaaags soooooo bad on my 35 mbit smoking cable internet. nothing else does...
  • Reply 31 of 59
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

wow, you must live in net fix's upstairs apartment!!

netflix streaming laaaaaaags soooooo bad on my 35 mbit smoking cable internet. nothing else does...

Never had any real issues with Netflix - we love it in our household and ditched cable long ago.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Kabletown.....how many on here get that reference?

Or is it really Cabaltown?
  • Reply 33 of 59
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    No way Apple will be buying Hulu (and especially not for $2B.)

What possible sense would it make? Apple could offer a similar service with little effort or money.

Why pay so much for something you can do better and far cheaper and build from the ground up they way you want it?
  • Reply 34 of 59
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wouldn't it be great if you stopped stealing video content from discs you don't own?

I know for myself that I ripped my collection of DVD's so they would be available on demand for me and I would not have to find the DVD to play it. Not all ripped movies are stolen.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

No way Apple will be buying Hulu (and especially not for $2B.)

What possible sense would it make? Apple could offer a similar service with little effort or money.

Why pay so much for something you can do better and far cheaper and build from the ground up they way you want it?

For the service agreements alone perhaps?
  • Reply 36 of 59
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

For the service agreements alone perhaps?

Perhaps, but $2 Billion for that?

Apple can easily negotiate any service agreements they desire on their own. They don''t seem to have had any difficulty doing it so far.

Definitely doesn't sound like Apple. They never pay dear for what they can make for themselves.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

VLC will also skip all the crud without needing to bother ripping.

IDK, would VLC allow me to easily format shift to watch the movie on my iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I know for myself that I ripped my collection of DVD's so they would be available on demand for me and I would not have to find the DVD to play it. Not all ripped movies are stolen.

I ripped DVDs myself but he talked about rented DVDs and he got a point. I wouldn't rip something I didn't intend to keep.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I ripped DVDs myself but he talked about rented DVDs and he got a point. I wouldn't rip something I didn't intend to keep.

No, he doesn't have a point. He made a blatant blanket accusation which, in this case, is patently untrue. Unless he's against format shifting content, in which case he should probably ditch any application that's Airplay enabled.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    we also ditched cable last year. We use an antenna for network, and use TV for all the obvious reasons: apple's streaming, picture and sound quality are the best thing available short of blu-ray. MLB.TV works great on my TV too.

Netflix is unavailable very often, 2-3 times a week i would bet. We have NEVER watched anything on netflix that didn't choke and buffer, no kidding. At least they finally have a few HD titles, although they don't look as good as 's, and I have yet to view a netflix HD with 5.1 sound.

We will probably just go back to basic cable soon and ditch netflix altogether since we get a discount for having more services from our cable company,

Cable with 30mbit + basic cable $80 add HBO for $17 or get a package deal for $100 with a few different premium services.

30 mbit cable alone is $80... no shit man. Then you include Netfix old price for us which was $10.... other than netfix being totally on demand it will be hard to justify their price for such shabby service and mostly old and b-movie selection