Apple makes Xcode free to all with release of 4.1 on Mac App Store

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I know lots of people that got XCode for free under the free dev account. You only had to pay if you wanted to actually post an app to the stores or load an app on a phone.

Yeah you could get XCode for free, but if you where a serious developer you really needed to be involved in the developer program. So no it wasn't truly free.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

:sigh: Will you please re-read what i wrote? I did NOT say ONLY way, I said EASIEST. I'm starting to get irritated with you questioning me being a developer for words you're putting into my mouth. Are you always this confrontational?

Frankly I interpreted what you said in the same way. Frankly I had the same puzzled look, because there are many free ways to develop on the MAC.

Quote:

4.99 from the few people that paid it isn't going to make up for their development costs. I'll admit I'm not an accountant or anywhere near it. But this has been discussed in depth on other forums, none of which points to 4.99 making up for any additional costs. Especially when a great number are already paying $99 or $198 for both Mac and iOS accounts. Nor does it point to the returns on gaining developers who are interested in the platform but are then forced to pay 4.99 to learn about it where it used to be free.

Actually it is $4.99 in revenue and considering the current climate at Apple it is just a drop in the bucket. In any event I will repeat a common refrain, if $5 is to much for you you are in the wrong business.

Seriously folks $5 bucks is pocket change. You should work on projects where the IDEs cost thousands of dollars for each controller in a machine.

Look at it this way I don't know why Apple charged $5 for the IDE, but it is simply hilarious to complain about what is effectively peanuts. Or to try to state that $5 keeps developers away.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Wow, instead of arguing over a dollar a finger did anyone notice it is now half the size of4.0? What does it drop?
  • Reply 44 of 52
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!

Yes, free if you buy Lion.

Not saying I'm a cheapskate as I'm trying to download Lion and it is failing miserably. I'd like to play with both. Figured I could at least download Xcode but it stops you saying Lion is required.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The 30% cut on every app is the real developer fee. Making Xcode free is great for people who just want to write programs for themselves and never sell them.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

someone mentioned before that because of Sarbanes-Oxley act apple has to charge nominal amount for some new features or goodies to their customers who purchased apple products when future new features were not yet announced or announced on later products but want to port it for early versions.

i don't know how the amount is calculated, though.

Before September 2009, the generally accepted practice was to set aside nearly 100% of the entire purchase price for deferred recognition.

After September 2009, the generally accepted practice was to come up with an estimate of what percentage of the product's expected future value (due to anticipated future feature enhancements) had not yet been incorporated into the product as of the date it shipped to the customer, and set aside that only that percentage for deferred recognition, freeing the company to recognize the remainder of the purchase price immediately.

In either the old or the new case, the company would then take whatever amount they had set aside, and divide it up into equal monthly portions of recognized revenue, covering the full duration of the product's supported lifecycle.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Wow, instead of arguing over a dollar a finger did anyone notice it is now half the size of4.0? What does it drop?

It's Lion-only. That means it will only ever need to run on 64-bit Intel CPUs. Therefore, it doesn't need to hold on to the extra baggage of being a Fat Binary capable of running in 32-bit mode anymore. (This isn't to say that its output cannot necessarily still be configured produce Fat Binaries capable of targeting, for example, customers running Snow Leopard on 32-bit machines -- that's a separate issue.)
  • Reply 48 of 52
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
  • Reply 49 of 52
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    I'm running SL (won't be buying Lion), the app store doesn't have XCode 4.0 or 4.1 for Snow Leopard. Hmm
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

I'm running SL (won't be buying Lion), the app store doesn't have XCode 4.0 or 4.1 for Snow Leopard. Hmm

The "native" version of XCode to target Snow Leopard was XCode 3.2, and it is available on your Snow Leopard install DVD. It is also available to free members of Apple's developer website.

Paid members of the Mac or iOS Developer Programs can (I think) still download the Snow Leopard-compatible version of XCode 4 (4.0) from the relevant website.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

So, can I get my $4.99 back?

I contacted the Mac App Store and they credited my account for my Xcode for Snow Leopard purchase.

While the Mac App Store terms state all purchases are final and they "do not provide price protection or refunds in the event of a price reduction or promotional offering," perhaps Apple took pity on me and considered that I bought Xcode two days before they released Lion...
  • Reply 52 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

I don't think you can get it. For the following reason: