Re: Apple prepping 64-bit, full-screen iTunes 10.4 and iWork updates

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

why do i always get the "can't open in 64bit mode" warning the first time i open 10.4? i'm on snow leopard, and there's no "open in 32bit mode" checkbox in the get info....?

help? it's a bit annoying

I had the same problem, that was my original post above, but I got it to work. I deleted iTunes from the app folder then downloaded iTunes itself from apple.com not via software updates and that fixed it now it works on my snow leopard. Took a while to install, maybe 10-20 min, but I let it sit and it eventually installed and I was good to to go. Maybe it's a glitch/bug Apple didn't know about. I'm getting 1 or 2 bugs with it on Snow Leop but hope it will be okay and it mostly works. Think I'll start saving d/l's versions in case a newer version isn't right (for me).

Good luck.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    FWIW, I experienced a noticeable speed improvement in iTunes 10.4 on my iMac. Much, much snappier. Likes.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

Apple are the first to moan if someone doesn't follow the Mac development ideas, their PC apps need to be developed properly
  • Reply 64 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Any chance we'll see Office for Mac 2011 updated to support full-screen, versions and resume, and perhaps Adobe CS5 to support full-screen?

That's up to Microsoft and Adobe, respectively.

The latter will charge you $5,000 for that update, though, so get ready to pony up for CS5.6.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

That is a very good argument. I don't know if .NET is the the right tool as I'm not a developer, but fully agree that if MS rewrites their software so should Apple instead of some simple porting.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Funny, I personally know at least 4 died-in-the-wool Windows users who say that iTunes runs just fine on their XP, Vista, and 7 systems. I guess it's just you. Fix your Windows box would be my advice.

To me, you are making an assumption as you don't have all the facts. Perhaps this user has a very large library? If yours is small iTunes will be fast. Mine used to be, but now it's over 350GB and has its issues.

I'm running iTunes on a fast Mac (MacPro 2010, 8 cores, stuffed with RAM and all) but iTunes remains unresponsive at times. Can't find the cause. I'm good at housekeeping, don't install junkware (almost completely limited to Apple software) yet iTunes is still unresponsive at times. Or downright slow.

Perhaps the people you know that have iTunes running on Windows have SSD? I'm still using HDD, and definitely need to migrate to SSD. Supposedly Aperture flies on SSD, but strangely enough that software runs just fine on a HDD.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

As someone who edits tags on a daily basis and dreads waiting for iTunes to advance to the next track, I am thrilled to report 10.4 is radically faster than all versions to date. Finally an iTunes that is as fast as humans. (

Bloody hell am I glad to read this! I'm on a fast Mac Pro, stuffed and all, but dislike the unresponsiveness quite often while editing tags. I am however keeping the media on a HDD. Moving my 350+GB lib to SSD is going to be a bit expensive. But if that's what it takes to get a snappy iTunes I'll do that in a heartbeat.