Users report issues installing Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    eh, i don't want excuses i want results. they need to beta test this stuff longer and/or with a wider test base. at this stage in O/S development, there should be few, if any, install issues.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    bslaghtbslaght Posts: 40member
    installing on my 2007 iMac could not find my magic mouse or trackpad. Plugged in USB mouse, everything went smooth.

Then connected magic mouse and trackpad after. Minor glitch, but the fact it was with Apple hardware seemed odd.
  • Reply 83 of 111
    After upgrading, I can't log in... please let me know how...
  • Reply 84 of 111
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    The software is excellent, the delivery method could use some work...
  • Reply 85 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

I never had a problem. I installed it on my MacBook Pro (2010) then went and installed it on a 2005 or 06(Mostlikely 05) MacBook and worked fine. Never had a problem installing or anything.

I'm certain you didn't install on a 2005 MacBook. Lion requires a 64 bit capable intel processor - Apple announced the transition to Intel processor the summer of 2005 at WWDC but the first computers with Intel chips inside did not ship until January of 2006. If you bought the first Core 2 Duo macbook in the summer of 2006, I think even that first rev of the chip had 64 bit capability.

- Blurp
  • Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

How hard is it for you to type with Jobs' balls on your chin?

Can you see the keyboard?

LOL!!! That is awesome! So good Samwell, you're my hero. :-)
  • Reply 87 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Be serious, now.

How hard is it for you to type with Jobs' balls on your chin?

Can you see the keyboard?

LOL. Tallest Skil, you should have said "No. They are very, very big balls."
  • Reply 88 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm waiting until 10.7.2 so all you early adopters can find all the glitches and bugs in 10.7.1.

I'm holding out until 10.7.8.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter777 View Post

It took 4.5 hours to install Lion on my iMac (late 2010), starting at 8:45 in the morning yesterday. The download was slow; after the download it started to install the program, but when it reached "9 minutes" remaining, it stayed on that message for at least 1.5 hours until I turned the machine off. I then restarted the machine. At startup it seemed to run okay at first. After an hour it froze and I had to restart it. I had to restart it so far 5 times in one day because it freezes. This machine is a quad4 (i5) with 16 G of memory. I have shut down most of my programs this afternoon and so far so good. I think maybe, just maybe my Fusion program may be at fault, but that is just a wild guess. I now have Fusion powered off.

But my MacbookPro (2011) downloaded Lion and installed Lion in less than an hour. So far no problems with this machine and the Lion OS. I don't have VM Fusion on this machine.

Now after 24 hours my iMac is working perfectly. Does it (Lion) fix itself??? Even VM Fusion is working better than on the old OS.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    edoardoedoardo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humanifestation1 View Post

"The new install has rendered my Adobe Pro suite completely useless. I know this is referenced in another thread, but seriously folks. I can't open a PDF without the whole program hanging up and crashing, let alone any serious work."

Hmmmm. Did you not think of doing any research about program compatibility with Lion BEFORE you decided to purchase, download, and install the software? This sounds to me like nothing more than USER ERROR. I am sorry your apps don't work correctly at present (though I believe Adobe has posted a temporary fix for this concerning installing Java files), but you could have avoided the whole mess simply by doing a little online research. Don't blame Apple. They didn't point a gun to your head and force you to do anything.

Hmmmm... I did do research, but nothing in the literature said "your shit will stop working". It is Adobe's fault for not anticipating, but also Apple's for doing what it wants however it wants and demanding that users conform to it. USER ERROR would have been if I had been at fault in somehow deficiently installing software... but I was not, so it is by definition PRODUCT error caused by two companies that don't know how to play together in the sandbox.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    edoardoedoardo Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edward J.W.Han View Post

After upgrading, I can't log in... please let me know how...

Was your password <blank>? If so, that may be it. I had a master password set to <blank>, changed it to something with a value, and presto.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    jace88jace88 Posts: 37member
    I have a choice of doing the download either on my iMac or my Macbook Air 11". If I do it on the iMac, does that mean I can burn some kind of recovery DVD to reinstall it in the future (I don't like relying on others if I can have a local copy or image file).

Any thoughts on which one I should do first (i.e. make the purchase on) or does it make absolutely no difference?
  • Reply 93 of 111
    My 18 month old Mac Mini 2.26 was in the middle of the Lion install and it stopped working. Nothing I did could save it. It is totally fried. Even my Mac technician is puzzled. I paid over $800 for what amounts to an expensive paperweight now. I should have gotten the Apple Care extended warranty. Has anyone else experienced problems like this.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

1) This is 100% Adobe's fault and not Apple's

2) Without telling us which of the many hundreds of Adobe suites it is, no one can suggest solutions for you.

3) The biggest change vis a vis Adobe for Lion is that all the crappy Java stuff and Flash stuff they use will be screwed up.

Try updating the Java (it's not automatically updated anymore), and it will likely work again as long as it's not CS4 or before.

Not buying it. If CS4 worked yesterday with the older OS, it should work today with the newer OS. This isn't like the transition from PowerPC to Intel. It isn't like Adobe is some tiny software company working out of a garage. I couldn't care less about Apple and Adobe's CEOs squabbling like the immature egotists that they are. Photoshop, Illustrator, et al are major software applications and Apple should have worked out the details with Adobe before releasing the software. And I shouldn't have to buy every release of Adobe products. CS4 isn't that old.

If Apple doesn't want their browser to support Flash, that's their business. There are other alternative browsers. But they should not be releasing an OS that corrupts the use of major applications. I've been using Apple since the introduction of the Apple II+, but Apple is lately getting me more and more pissed off. Their success is driving up their arrogance.

It's almost as if Apple could care less about users of professional applications. They seem to care much more about users of games and silly iPad and iPhone apps and those who waste their days sending tweets and obsessing over Facebook. Unfortunately, in an Apple OS vs. Windows world, there's no one else to fill the gap.

I will not be upgrading until those problems are worked out. I understand that my Nikon software isn't going to work either. My machine works fine as is - I'm perfectly ok with waiting.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Apple should have worked out the details with Adobe before releasing the software.

It's the responsibility of the developer to conform to the OS.

Quote:

CS4 isn't that old.

All the more reason to be angry at Adobe for not writing a modern program.

Quote:

But they should not be releasing an OS that corrupts the use of major applications.

Strike that. Reverse it. Then you have the real world. Also it doesn't corrupt CS5.

Quote:

It's almost as if Apple could care less about users of professional applications.

No, really? And the past three years haven't shown you that?

Quote:

I will not be upgrading until those problems are worked out.

They won't be. Apple isn't going to put Rosetta in Lion and Adobe won't release an update to CS4.
  • Reply 96 of 111
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

eh, i don't want excuses i want results. they need to beta test this stuff longer and/or with a wider test base. at this stage in O/S development, there should be few, if any, install issues.

Grow up 'tard. There seems to be way less issues than almost everything else ever released.

They've already tested it for ages with thousands of people. Small (and easily fixed) errors aren't an issue and certainly not worth another round of testing.

Go and install a newly released Windows OS on a PC, that might put your petty moaning into perspective.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    I installed it the first day on my late 2009 iMac with no problems. The download took about 35 minutes and the install maybe 40 minutes. Everything seems to work and Safari in particular seems snappier. I did loose some programs but I knew beforehand that they were Classic ones.

I have yet to download it on my wife's Mac Mini or my 2006 MacPro. I'll probably do the MacPro later today.

When it comes to the MacPro I have one problem that will keep me from getting the most from Lion; this is the original MacPro and didn't come with Blue Tooth installed. Does anyone know if there is any way to add Blue Tooth at this late date?
  • Reply 98 of 111
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

I never had a problem. I installed it on my MacBook Pro (2010) then went and installed it on a 2005 or 06(Mostlikely 05) MacBook and worked fine. Never had a problem installing or anything.

Do you have multiple partitions on your drive?
  • Reply 99 of 111
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I agree. I'm surprised this installation issue didn't pop up during beta testing. Betas are buggy so it is recommended that you use a computer where you don't have your data on or a separate partition. If this is in fact a installation issue due to partitions, you would think this problem would have come up/dealt with then.\
  • Reply 100 of 111
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I got locked out of my Mac.

Dowloaded Lion from the App Store. Installed it. And then couldn't log in. It showed a guest account with a password. Tried my own user password. Didn't work.

Apple support was closed already so I waited until yesterday. They had to talk me through using OS X utilities and root access to regain control of my machine and reinstate my user profile.