Apple's white legacy MacBook pulled from website and online store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fortunately, the 11" MacBook Air isn't a netbook. And it's obviously worth $1,000 for its users. Millions of them.

The 11 inch MBA is an ultraportable though, which means that I can't see many people using it as a primary computer without increasing the SSD capacity. I know a lot of music teachers that use Macbooks to record auditions to that simply won't be able to function without more space.

I guess they'll need to pick up refurbished MBP's.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HardBall View Post

Nah, it's probably a reasonable move, given that Apple never really wanted a laptop to dip into that price category and kill its margins which is very important for its slew of investors. Given their recent emphasis on iOS, there is very little motivation for them to compete with certain SKUs of iPads, which is what an $800 Mac laptop would have done. iOS products will take gradually more prominent role in Apple lineup in the next few years, with Macbooks relegated to more niche areas.

I think you say it very well here HardBall. Add an upgraded / up-priced iPad in the next couple of months and you have it covering the low end.

You're guess that iOS devices will gradually take a more prominent role in Apple's lineup in the future seems very sound - totally where Apple has been moving and talking over these last several years.

Personally, I'm guessing Apple won't be making the Mac Pro for too many follow on models either (its not where they are as a company these days or where they seem to be going and not giving them large sales numbers like MB's did). I'm planning on grabbing the next model of the Pro after its released as I don't have faith there'll be a follow on model (there might be one, but I can't feel confident about that anymore).
  • Reply 43 of 63
    rhombusrhombus Posts: 6member
    Apple's certainly pulling out of the student market here in the UK, intentionally or not.

After the educational discount, £860 ($1389) is the minimum a student needs to spend for a 13" laptop. 11" is just too small for a primary computer. With tuition fees going up, it's a no-brainer not to get a Mac...
  • Reply 44 of 63
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    As Mr. Cook talked about on the call, the iPad was already cannibalizing Mac Book sales numbers for the last quarter.

With what HardBall said, the rumors of a slightly higher end iPad coming (+ regular iPad) that appears to be Apple's new low end computing solution (displacing the area for the Mac Book) - those that really need a Mac can buy the Air, but it would seem Apple has just made this iPad territory to grow into and let the low margin PC market have whatever else.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm happy with the removal of the MB as I think the MBA is clearly the way forward but it should have had 128GB on the entry model. What are you supposed to do when the 64GB iPhone comes out?

I wouldn't say it's a dumb move but premature. To only have 64GB in the model at the most accessible price point in the most popular computer category is going to have a negative effect. I can see a lot of people paying $200 more and buying the MBP instead, which won't help bring the storage prices down.

How much of a financial hit could it possibly be to stick in 64GB storage using 19nm NAND? $100? They could have recouped some by pricing the other models a bit higher.

I'm with you on this. This would have been a very smart move, but for the fact that the storage in the entry level MBA does seem too low.

The thing is, flash memory prices are already dropping, and will likely go further as the cloud takes over more and more. I think Apple would have been better off making the $1000 machine with 128Gb and taking a hit on margin for a few months, while the price of flash drops.

As for the optical drive argument, IMO Apple always seem to pull a "legacy" device a little too early, then in a matter of weeks nobody notices anymore. I suspect this will be the same. I do feel sorry for people who still use DVD drives and don't want to carry about an external drive, but Apple have a history of leaving some peoples needs by the wayside as they progress - it's hard on the people that are left aside, but it does drive adoption of new technology faster than the PC market would.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The fact that the white plastic MacBook is still available through educational channels suggests that Apple still have some inventory to liquidate. It may be that Apple will be introducing new aluminium MacBooks later this year to serve the market segment caring most about low price, rather than ultimate performance (the MacBook Pro segment) or light, thin, and sexy (the MacBook Air segment).

I don't believe the assertion that Apple dropped the MacBook to avoid cannibalizing iPad sales. Apple have been able to sell as many iPads as they have been able to produce. I don't see any serious threats to the iPad market.

ya think

we may never know why it was killed

but there is a hole right now .

maybe this was the last polluting mac left ???

• Reply 47 of 63
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Except the MacBook Air is cheaper than the MacBook ever was.

How do you work that out?

In the UK the white MB was £850 versus the cheapest 13" MBA which is £1100. Add on the cost of the MBA Superdrive (£66) and the difference is over £300.

I know the 11" is £850 now but that's too small to use as your main machine.

It would make more sense if Apple dropped the price of the 13" MBP to £899 and made that the direct replacement for the MB.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    By discontinuing the polycarbonate MacBook entirely, I was thinking there might have been a slight price drop for the entry level 11'' Air model. But that apparently was not the case.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I have always liked the plastic MacBook. The aluminum looks like one has to be careful, whereas the plastic looks durable. It is nice for just hanging around.

The point I raised here is a psychological point. I like the feel and look of the plastic, and the image it evokes is one that makes you think it is durable, that you do not have to be careful.

I associate metal with scratches, electrical conductivity, don’t let it get wet, etc.

I am not sure Apple has made the right decision here. And, as mentioned above, the $999 Air has too small a screen to be considered a real laptop. And also, as mentioned above, I think the move is premature.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I am not sure Apple has made the right decision here. And, as mentioned above, the $999 Air has too small a screen to be considered a real laptop. And also, as mentioned above, I think the move is premature.

Some of us still remember early "laptops" like the Osborne 1. Heck my ex had an old 386 laptop and we were lucky if that screen was even 7". Laptops used to have a tiny screen in teh center of a bunch of plastic. An 11" screen is fine for a laptop, especially when the size category you are speaking of is the ultra-portable.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Some of us still remember early "laptops" like the Osborne 1. Heck my ex had an old 386 laptop and we were lucky if that screen was even 7". Laptops used to have a tiny screen in teh center of a bunch of plastic. An 11" screen is fine for a laptop, especially when the size category you are speaking of is the ultra-portable.

You forgot to mention an eMate 300.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1960 View Post

Still have mine! Though it's really a Newton, so it doesn't exactly count.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

Still have mine! Though it's really a Newton, so it doesn't exactly count.

Right it is a Newton
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1960 View Post

I was going way older. eMate 300 was 1997. Osborne 1 was 1981
  • Reply 55 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I was going way older. eMate 300 was 1997. Osborne 1 was 1981

Now you've gotten me nostalgia-ing. I had to go find mine. Great little machine. Battery's dead, though; has been for years. Still works on AC!

Images are crap, as they're with a first-gen iPhone, but they serve the purpose.

Oh, as an aside, that's a matte screen. And it's that reflective. So I REALLY don't get what those people's deal is.

LOVELY green backlight.

Oh, and the different 'tick' sounds for every time you touch something so it doesn't get maddening. Except there are only around seven sounds, so it still gets pretty maddening.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    I am going to go out on a limb, here.

I think that this all stems back to the issue in using Nvidia boards with intel.

The old 13" machines packed an intel processor with an integrated, but very powerful, Nvidia GPU (powerful for the size of the machine, anyway).

The new 11" and 13" intel i3 & i5 machines all use the crappy integrated intel GPU, whcih is substantially less powerful than the Nvidia GPU. However, in the 15" and 17" MBP's, aplpe has enough room to implement a dedicated ATI GPU.

So, instead of making 11" and 13" high-powered computers (which is now impossible because Apple cannot use Nvidia dedicated GPUs in the smaller computers), Apple is phasing out the Macbook, and soon the 13" Macbook Pro.

Thus, within 6-10 months, I can almost promise, Apple will ONLY offer an 11" MBA, a 13" MBA, a 15" MBP, and a 17" MBP. Now that the 13" MBP only has the intel 3000 HD graphics, it's really no more powerful than a 13" MBA at the vast majority of tasks. Why keep the 13" MBP around?

for those saying an 11" screen is too small for daily use, that is just ridiculous. I have used a 10.1" netbook screen for a year, and then an 11.1" netbook screen for a year. Zero problems.

I currently own the 11" MBA, along with the 13" MBP. I can tell you that in day-to-day tasks, the MBA is actually faster, because of the SSD.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Personally, I'm guessing Apple won't be making the Mac Pro for too many follow on models either (its not where they are as a company these days or where they seem to be going and not giving them large sales numbers like MB's did). I'm planning on grabbing the next model of the Pro after its released as I don't have faith there'll be a follow on model (there might be one, but I can't feel confident about that anymore).

You think that as well heh> Well, I certainly hope not. And got the summer 2010 model, but probably won't upgrade this year as it will be just a year old. But if they're gonna drop it in 2012 what am I to do? I got it because I didn't want a glossy screen, so the iMac was out. I believe a laptop is too slow for my large Aperture library and a Mini would be too slow as well. It also has to drive my 30" ACD which I quickly grabbed when it was EOL-ed.

So what are we supposed to buy if the MP gets 'suddenly' pulled? Don't want to take the Hackingtush road...
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

So, instead of making 11" and 13" high-powered computers (which is now impossible because Apple cannot use Nvidia dedicated GPUs in the smaller computers), Apple is phasing out the Macbook, and soon the 13" Macbook Pro.

Thus, within 6-10 months, I can almost promise, Apple will ONLY offer an 11" MBA, a 13" MBA, a 15" MBP, and a 17" MBP. Now that the 13" MBP only has the intel 3000 HD graphics, it's really no more powerful than a 13" MBA at the vast majority of tasks. Why keep the 13" MBP around?

No, a 2.3 i5 and 2.7 i7 are way more powerful than the cpus in the Air. For video games, I don't know how big a difference it would be, but that would depend if the game is more cpu or gpu bound. I know I'd rather encode video or other similarly cpu intensive tasks on the MBP than the MBA.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

No, a 2.3 i5 and 2.7 i7 are way more powerful than the cpus in the Air. For video games, I don't know how big a difference it would be, but that would depend if the game is more cpu or gpu bound. I know I'd rather encode video or other similarly cpu intensive tasks on the MBP than the MBA.

I understand that. But the 15" MBP will handle the task fine.

Remember, Apple has never been a company to keep overlapping items around. They will start focusing the 11" and 13" segment as protable, and focus on making them as thin and light as possible.

The 15" and 17" MBP's will stick around for those who require workstation power on the go.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I strongly suspect that it wasn't even average consumers who bought the MB white. I think it was likely to be students. And I have a feeling most of these students will easily transition to the low end MBA or the low end 13inch MBP (if they want a drive). The education discounts and iTunes gift cards will help them along.