iPhone 4 and...T-mobile (switching inquiry)?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi.

I have an iPhone4 on an AT&T family plan with my wife whose plan is up and wants to jump ship. Since T-Mobile has announced new unlimited data plans starting next week (http://tinyurl.com/3duxrb5), I'm curious about possibly "switching" my iPhone 4 to T-Mobile. I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of the year.

I run the current software and am going to upgrade to iOS 5. I also know that unlocking my phone and switching to another carrier is totally legitimate, but it has been a while since I really looked into it. So, I don't know the current state of affairs. So, sorry if not being on AT&T or Verizon somehow offends you. Also, for some reason the "search" function on the site is turning up 404's, so I haven't been able to search similar topics.

Anyway, I would like to know what experiences/thoughts/etc y'all may have on running an iPhone4 on T-Mobile. If the plans T-Mobile releases next week are good enough, it may be worth it to jump with my wife and just pay the ETF. It's not like AT&T is that amazing.

I am also curious about what problems I may face in making this "switch". I also know that I will have to unlock (right?). I suppose that I will also need to wait for updates to be broken/unlockable too.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Unlimited EDGE, sure. It's wireless dial-up, basically. You want to pay for that, go right ahead.

Can iPhone 4 with the most recent OS even be unlocked? If not, you'd have to buy old models.

iOS 5 doesn't look like it will ever be untethered jailbroken, much less unlocked, so that's not going to happen for you.

Good luck. You'd really be better off buying two first-gen iPhones off eBay and using those.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    107 views and one comment? Damn, that's pretty poor. So none of the 1mill+ that are walking around with t-mobile iPhones read this site, I guess.

I think the ios5 tethered jailbreak thing will be solved. But the right to unlock is federally protected, sooo

But edge doesnt sound too good
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

107 views and one comment? Damn, that's pretty poor. So none of the 1mill+ that are walking around with t-mobile iPhones read this site, I guess.

No, I've just covered every fringe case.

Quote:

I think the ios5 tethered jailbreak thing will be solved.

Okay. But that has nothing to do with unlocking.

Quote:

But the right to unlock is federally protected, sooo

So what? So you can't just whine to your congressman and he'll magically unlock your device. Unlocking is legal. Companies and carriers DO NOT HAVE to provide a way to unlock devices. And if no one else can figure it out (like right now), then it just isn't possible. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Quote:

But edge doesnt sound too good

That's right; it's fairly terrible. Rumors say the iPhone 5'll have the 1700MHz band for T-Mobile's 3G, but we can't possibly know that yet. Guaranteed, though, is one phone for both AT&T and Verizon.