Apple begins testing over-the-air updates with iOS 5.0 beta 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Friday afternoon released iOS 5.0 beta 4 to developers via the software's new over-the-air (OTA) Software Updater, marking the first time it's tested the functionality externally.

Previously, developers and users would first have to download iOS updates via iTunes or Apple's web-based developer portal, then tether their iOS device to a computer running iTunes in order to apply the update.

Although developers are able to begin downloading the update over a WiFi or 3G connection with low battery life, installation of OTA updates are prohibited unless an iOS device is plugged into a power source or has at least 50% of its battery life remaining -- the installation button is simply grayed out (as can be seen below).

Friday's OTA beta is a delta update weighing just 133MB, which saves users from having to download an additional 730.8MB of redundant data that was distributed as part of the previous iPhone 4 GSM release, which weighed in at 863.8MB.

In a set of release notes reportedly accompanying the latest beta, Apple noted that developers using the OTA software update from beta 3 to beta 4 will need to re-sync their photos with iTunes.

The Cupertino-based company also noted that with iOS 5.0 beta 4, wireless syncing is now available on Windows as well as the Mac and file names in iCloud are case sensitive.

For those developers testing their applications with AirPlay and Apple TV, Apple also reportedly noted that there is no new build for AppleTV for beta 4 of iOS 5 and recommended that developers continue using beta 3 of the Apple TV update.

People familiar with the beta have also noted that some portions of iCloud data syncing are now active. Documents from recent Mac versions of iWork, for example, can now reportedly be synced through the service.

Additional discoveries in the new beta will be reported when and if they become available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    iTunes beta 4 brought back iTunesHelper for whatever reason.

Shame. I liked not having it.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The OTA update went flawlessly for me. However I did have to resync my photos.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iTunes beta 4?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:

I'm still on Beta 3, and iTunesHelper is in my Activity Monitor...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Weird, I am on b3 and do not. I am running Lion GM.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

iTunes beta 4?

Yes. The one that goes with the software mentioned in this article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

It was gone in betas two and three for me, but is back now in four.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Downloading as we speak. Seems to be stuck towards the end here but anxiosely awaiting iwork sharing capabilities and unlikely but still gesture support for the ipad 1. The icon with gears is crazy realistic. Its like retina on steroids realistic.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Yes. The

Solipsism is the most pro, along with maybe ireland.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I just installed iOS 5 beta 4 "over the air" and it went very smoothly on both my iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS. So easy, my mom could have done it. The last "minute" or so took about 10+ minutes. But when it was done everything looked perfect - so much so that I had verify the version to be sure the new version was really installed. Simply put, it worked beautifully!!

iOS 5 + iCloud = Simplicity and Elegance
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Feels much snappier on verizon iPhone. Just used it for a few minutes but is much closer to the final though typing is still not quite there. Gonna go try the iPad now.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkWagner View Post

The last "minute" or so took about 10+ minutes.

Yea that last minute was like 15 minutes for me. But I am used to that now cause that seems to be true of any install since I had a 486.

I got a question. Before Ota did the Mac do the installation and just send the processed data onto the phone, did the phone do processing. This Ota seemed a bit longer than tethered install
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yea that last minute was like 15 minutes for me. But I am used to that now cause that seems to be true of any install since I had a 486.

I got a question. Before Ota did the Mac do the installation and just send the processed data onto the phone, did the phone do processing. This Ota seemed a bit longer than tethered install

That's a good question. I don't know for sure, but the iOS 5 beta 4 OTA download is much smaller (133 MB for iPad 1) compared to the full image download (745.5 MB for iPad 1) that is installed via a Mac and hard wire connection. I'm guessing the OTA install has to replace bits on a file-by-file basis which could, in some cases, be slower than writing a single complete new image - which would be the case for any computer, iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC.

For me, the OTA download was the slowest part of the whole install process, yet the total download and install time was probably not more than 30 or 40 minutes at most; very reasonable in my opinion. This was the case for both my iPhone 3GS and iPad 1. What I like most is how simple it was to install, and I did not have to go through any restore or sync afterward, which must be done when doing a full install.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    rtkanertkane Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkWagner View Post

That's a good question. I don't know for sure, but the iOS 5 beta 4 OTA download is much smaller (133 MB for iPad 1) compared to the full image download (745.5 MB for iPad 1) that is installed via a Mac and hard wire connection. I'm guessing the OTA install has to replace bits on a file-by-file basis which could, in some cases, be slower than writing a single complete new image - which would be the case for any computer, iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC.

For me, the OTA download was the slowest part of the whole install process, yet the total download and install time was probably not more than 30 or 40 minutes at most; very reasonable in my opinion. This was the case for both my iPhone 3GS and iPad 1. What I like most is how simple it was to install.

OTA download was the slowest for me as well with both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 easily taking 45 minutes or more on each device. I'm definitely looking forward to using beta 4 as 3 was VERY unstable for me on both with frequent browser crashes on the iPad and constant "resets" on the iPhone (not quite a reboot but a black screen pause that would interrupt whatever I was doing--stopping apps and "pausing" but not disconnecting phone calls).
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Before Beta 4, it had to be a full "tethered install". So the Mac did all the work, as far as I can tell anyway.

I skipped Beta 3 with my iPhone 4, so I had to do the full tethered install for Beta 4.

It was almost flawless on my iPad over the air. Although for a while it kept prompting that it couldn't verify because it had lost an internet connection, even when I could still use the browser...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

I'm definitely looking forward to using beta 4 as 3 was VERY unstable for me on both with frequent browser crashes on the iPad.

Yea safari would crash all the time on beta 3 on the iPad. This version is a bit more stable though still not quite there.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Yea safari would crash all the time on beta 3 on the iPad. This version is a bit more stable though still not quite there.

There's lots of apps that crash, or don't show the full detail. I'm still checking out Safari.

I'm wondering if the apps need to have their code optimized for iOS 5. So far I haven't seen any updates for the new OS. Anyone here see any? They're getting the same betas we are...
  • Reply 17 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    iPad 2 WiFI OTA update came in at 130MB and worked flawlessly. So are these still not "PCs"?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

The Cupertino-based company also noted that with iOS 5.0 beta 4, wireless syncing is now available on Windows as well as the Mac and file names in iCloud are case sensitive.

Is this case sensitivity going to be a problem for both Mac and Windows users?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But what about:

Let the backtracking begin.

I'll start it out with a trip-up: I believed there shouldn't be patch updates and I continue to believe there shouldn't be patch updates.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    are the folks posting here my fellow registerd devswho are breaking NDAone after another, or is there some hack to bybass the device activation based on UDID...