Users report issues installing Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    eowadeeowade Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Apple have posted a KB article for this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

It involves resizing the partition to 128MB smaller than it is, installing Lion, then resizing it back.

HTH.

This solution works: http://www.lovefortech.com/2011/07/2...ding-problems/

I had triple-boot functionality using rEFIt in control. I deleted rEFIt, resized the boot partition ( -128MB), restarted, was now able to install Lion, resized the partition back again, reinstalling rEFIt shortly to restore triple boot.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The whole idea of creating a new partition just for installing is asking for trouble in my opinion. Partitions are a big deal. Maybe when Bertrand left the sensible left with him.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The whole idea of creating a new partition just for installing is asking for trouble in my opinion. Partitions are a big deal. Maybe when Bertrand left the sensible left with him.

Disk Utility has been able to make and resize partitions on the fly a long as I can remember. The power of Unix! It's only 650MB and it's a great method for allowing users access to things that before required an external boot partition. It's a good thing.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Disk Utility has been able to make and resize partitions on the fly a long as I can remember. The power of Unix! It's only 650MB and it's a great method for allowing users access to things that before required an external boot partition. It's a good thing.

The on the fly ability arrived 10.4-ish, just before Boot Camp. I'm not against the concept of a recovery partition, but think a better way would be to have a small amount of cheap/slow flash ram on the motherboard for that dedicated purpose, an internal 1GB thumb drive in effect.

Putting a partition on the main HD/SSD may be cheaper but it is not compatible with everybody, such as people with very full disks or enthusiasts with multiple OSs installed.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    I've got a 2 core 2009 MacBook, specs say it can install Lion. Well, I downloaded, started the install, then suddenly it restarted. On restart, I get the Apply logo, a file folder image with a question mark, and a flippin "wrong way" type sign (circle with a slash) all flashing in rapid succession on the start up screen!!! First EVER problem I've had in 7 years of Mac use, so I have NO IDEA what to do next.

Any clues?
  • Reply 106 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sommer182 View Post

I've got a 2 core 2009 MacBook, specs say it can install Lion. Well, I downloaded, started the install, then suddenly it restarted. On restart, I get the Apply logo, a file folder image with a question mark, and a flippin "wrong way" type sign (circle with a slash) all flashing in rapid succession on the start up screen!!! First EVER problem I've had in 7 years of Mac use, so I have NO IDEA what to do next.

Any clues?

Either your hard drive instantaneously went bad or the install went bad. Reinstall Snow Leopard or if you burned a Lion disc, install that.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either your hard drive instantaneously went bad or the install went bad. Reinstall Snow Leopard or if you burned a Lion disc, install that.

As soon as I can get the thing to boot up so I can stick a CD in it, I'll try to reinstall. It's the wife's machine now and she doesn't back up as much as she should. Oh well, live and learn I tell her.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, was able to get Snow Leopard Install disk into the machine, apparently my HD decided to crash at the exact same moment I was installing Lion. Was able to get to disk utility and run First Aid. Said there were "missing thread record (id=2567201), Keys out of order." Tried to repair, said the volume could not repaired. That sucks.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    don.macdon.mac Posts: 1member
    Installed and all running just fine

No problems at all

Not thrilled about mail client, but otherwise good stuff
  • Reply 110 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don.Mac View Post

Not thrilled about mail client, but otherwise good stuff

1. What's... wrong with it, exactly, considering it's leagues better than the original Mail?

2. Turn on classic mode and your Eudora-esque workflow is back. Everyone's happy.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    Some people (me included) are having significant problems with dropping wifi connections. There are quite a few threads at Apple Support Communities on this and no-one has found a solution yet.

Here is one thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15716433#15716433

Basically for most posters, the wifi connection gets lost after waking from sleep.

Be interesting to see if any AppleInsider posters see this after putting their system to sleep.