Apple testing Mac OS X 10.7.2 alongside iCloud for Lion beta 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Probably 10.7.2 is only enabling iCloud. So, in principle could come out very soon after 10.7.1, which will be about fixing issues.

What people need to realize is tha iCloud wasn't ready to ship with 10.7 so it has been a work in progress for some time. As to 10.7.1 they have been working on a bug fix release well before the golden master. It isn't like they have all of a sudden discovered the bugs and started to fix them.

Of course timing is everything and it wouldn't surprise me to see the whole works rolled into one update. Ideally I cloud would be out before iOS 5 hits the market.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

So no syncing anytime soon in Europe then?

Only lip-syncing. Most notably evident during the Eurovision Song Contest.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Fingers crossed for wake on trackpad motion. Clicking or striking a key is Pre post pc era craziness.

Pre post pc era? There may be a simpler way to express that...
  • Reply 24 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

10.7.2 indeed sounds like it will be there to just "enable" iCloud, much like 10.6.6 enabled access to the Mac App Store.

These are my thoughts also. It will be a bigger update than the App Store Update, but will simply deliver what was not ready for 10.7. Depending upon timing though I could see them wrapping the bug fixes in with the iCloud updates.

Quote:

My guess is Lion shipped in "July" because it was promised in past announcements and any delay would have looked bad. Any known bugs unfixed since the Gold Master have probably had their bugfixes already been rolled into a "10.7.1" update once the "public beta test" (i.e. first adopters who blindly upgrade without researching) is complete.

Lion is not a beta release. To the contrary it is probably one of the more solid release to come from Apple in sometime. Does it have bugs - of course it does, all operating systems do. The thing is the vast majority of those bugs are already known to Apple. The reality is they can't wait for perfection to release, because that will never happen, so they release when it is suitably stable. Lion simply gives Apple a base upon which to build from for another two to three years possibly longer.

Quote:

Look for 10.7.2 to not only enable iCloud but to also address any UI-related complaints (not bugs) about default behaviors.

there is some quirkiness to be dealt with but user complaints are a funny thing. Fix something for one set of users and you are sure to piss off a few others. User satisfaction is actually a difficult subject in the context of GUIs.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Look for 10.7.2 to not only enable iCloud but to also address any UI-related complaints (not bugs) about default behaviors.

That would be silly as the new defaults actually make more sense to anybody who is coming to mac from an iPad and anybody who is a long time mac user is quite capable of finding the preferences panel.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angevil View Post

It sucks that iTunes Match will not be available in Europe. And what about non Europian Union countries in Europe?! It is driving me mad. Apple better deal with that soon.

Copyright was left out of the EU legal system at the express demand of France to protect their language from being subsumed by the increasing power of English. They were afraid that in a single market for music, film, television and literature French would disappear. Their fear has become a reality in spite of all their efforts to prevent it.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Yeah, where's 10.7.1? Forget about .2 until the bugs are fixed and .1 is released.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, where's 10.7.1? Forget about .2 until the bugs are fixed and .1 is released.

Look 7.1 is nothing more than a bug fix. It's been stated on numerous sites. 7.2 should bring icloud. Steve wants to make sure icloud can handle the onslaught better than mobile me, and so wants developers to focus on icloud rather than wasting time on some miniscule bugs that can be ironed out without much testing.

BTW where is the TV rumor, I wanna discuss that.

Edit: sounded like I was pissed there. Im pissed about something else.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Copyright was left out of the EU legal system at the express demand of France to protect their language from being subsumed by the increasing power of English. They were afraid that in a single market for music, film, television and literature French would disappear. Their fear has become a reality in spite of all their efforts to prevent it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrig...European_Union

Contrary to your bizarre claims EU copyright law is actually mostly harmonized but that's neither here nor there. Historically distribution rights have been granted on a national basis, so existing rights for a work will rest with different publishers in different EU member states. There's no amount of EU regulation going to change that because to change it would imply changing previous contracts.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Please tell me that was sarcasm.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Pre post pc era? There may be a simpler way to express that...

There is. It's called the PC era aka the dark ages.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

There is. It's called the PC era aka the dark ages.

Just to clarify, that's the age that Apple not only pioneered in 1976 but revolutionized not just once in 1984 but again in 1997, right?

The... dark ages...
  • Reply 33 of 44
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Any known bugs unfixed since the Gold Master have probably had their bugfixes already been rolled into a "10.7.1" update once the "public beta test" (i.e. first adopters who blindly upgrade without researching) is complete.

If there were no first adopters, how would there be anything for us intellectually superior people to research? This is just like the Final Cut Pro X situation where so many Apple defenders were saying "sucks to be you, you should have researched before buying". If nobody bought FCP X, how would anybody have known about all the limitations in the official release? It's not like Apple volunteered this information on their own.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

That would be silly as the new defaults actually make more sense to anybody who is coming to mac from an iPad and anybody who is a long time mac user is quite capable of finding the preferences panel.

Assuming that the features in question can be configured in the preferences at all.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Probably 10.7.2 is only enabling iCloud.

No "probably" about it.

"Apple reportedly told developers. "This pre-release version of OS X Lion is being provided solely for testing iCloud."
  • Reply 36 of 44
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    What??? I'm already running OS X 10.8, Liger...bought it at the Fake Apple Store in Kunming!!

• Reply 37 of 44
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angevil View Post

It sucks that iTunes Match will not be available in Europe. And what about non Europian Union countries in Europe?! It is driving me mad. Apple better deal with that soon.

What about Japan?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member
    Well, I think this is good news, bcz they care about the users, this is one of reasons why apple win. So they generated a cool encosystem with their customers' high loyalty.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    I also think that 10.7 is the most stable release I can remember from Apple. There seem to be no major problems at all.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    I'm running 10.7.2 with iTunes 10.5 beta 2. After I installed 10.7.2 itunes took forever to load. This beta seems a bit slower than 10.7 GM. No bugs so far.. but I'm only 30 minutes in.