Netbook maker Acer accuses Apple of starting 'patent war'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 146
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

So apple is the bad guy for trying to protect its property? Just because these companies can't come up with there own ideas. They feel intitled to other people's.

Owning patent don't necessarily make it one's property; a lot of patents are being successfully challenged in court.

Of course Apple should protect their IP, but it is very wide opinion some of their patents are too general to be issued in a first place.

That being said, I'm not holding it against Apple; they are just using system to their advantage, but they didn't create system. At the end of a day, have they not patented all that, someone else would (and in many cases that someone else would be some anonymous patent troll) and would sue Apple and others anyway.
  • Reply 142 of 146
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Never seen the other ones. Clearly google was gunning more for blackberry type use case. Even if there was a touch screen device we dont know if it was before or after google snooped out the iphone design. And even if before it shows that this was not the main direction they were going in or focusing on.

Keep in mind out of the 5 prototypes G1 was a touchscreen. So clearly apple's vision had a big impact on android as they chose to launch a form factor that had only 1 in 5 chance, instead of a design with 4 in 5 change of being first.

Yeah, well. Apple touch screen vision is based on Windows mobile PDA vision which is based on Palm PDA vision which is based on Apple Newton vision... and it probably goes all the way back to IBM Simon touch-screen "smart-phone" vision.

And then, a lot of that vision was already envisioned by Arthur Clark, Asimov, Star Trek creators or writers... take your pick.

At the end of the day, the only important thing is if IP stands trial at court... some do, dome don't. Both make a lot of money for lawyers, regardless. Which is likely the most annoying thing for me.
  • Reply 143 of 146
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Keep in mind out of the 5 prototypes G1 was a touchscreen. So clearly apple's vision had a big impact on android as they chose to launch a form factor that had only 1 in 5 chance, instead of a design with 4 in 5 change of being first.

Well the first Android phone was a slider with a qwerty keyboard, so does that mean that Google's main inspiration was Nokia?

• Reply 144 of 146
    Acer is not that bad of a company. I won a acer iconia a500 at a raffle a few days ago and it is a really good tablet. It is a very nice machine. The when people buy an acer product they should be well aware they aware that they are purchasing a budget product.

Why do people still claim that google copied apples iOS. The it seems quite clear that android was based off of palm os, black berry os, and sambian. In its development cycles it went through multiple iterations not just of the the black berry looking one that is so often flashed on this site. The is had to be changed however with changing consumer demand. If you use an android device you will find it really closer to sambian ans
  • Reply 145 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Apple didn't start the patent war - the violators started the patent war.

Innovate on your own. How many years did HTC push out bland Windows smartphones and Acer pimp out bland MS tablets?

You want to be successful like Apple? Innovate! Pay attention to customers and the user experience instead of geek-oriented checklists and maybe people will be rabid fans of your products too.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

This seems to be so obvious but the gee.kdom of andirt users seem to hate Apple for everything they do.

Put it this way, if I created something then I would want to be the beneficiary.

If somebody stole my idea then I would go after them.

And YES... Before the iPhone came out there NEVER existing a fully touchscreen smartphone. Now there are hundreds. These companies should be thanking Apple for creating a market which used to belong to RIM and the business world.
  • Reply 146 of 146
    up to it. A ban of the device shows that Apple wants to rid the world of its competitors, when it should just make money off them!

That statement is wrong on a fundamental level.... The"BAN" is a routine call of action in this type of lawsuit. Samsung turned around and asked for the same thing, for an American company which invented the darn thing to stop importing products into America.