AT&T preparing for mid-Sept. launch of Apple's iPhone 5 - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You have the new iPhone. It offers... Who knows but it offers something to get people standing in lines for 10 hours all over the nation to get one.

Then....

1-2 months later, you provide a boost to demand with the new OS and get people standing in line for 1 hour all over the nation to get the phone with the new OS. Those that did not want the phone without the new OS simply wait. Great headlines.

I don't think so. My bet is that the iPhone5, even if not a major update, won't run on anything less than the new OS. So the new iOS has to get released first or simultaneously with the phone. And aside from geek and rumor sites, a new OS doesn't get headlines anyway in the general press.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Definitely ready for this. I've been testing my apps on the companies iPhone 4's, my 3gs, my old 3g. I love my 3gs, but I bought it from a friend so I didn't up my contract for iPhone 4.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    I believe it. My contract wasn't up until mid August. I'm still using a 3GS... and all of the sudden early this month I got an email from AT&T telling me I could upgrade to a iPhone 4 early. I'm guessing they are trying to dump their inventory of iphone 4's before no one wants them.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

I believe it. My contract wasn't up until mid August. I'm still using a 3GS... and all of the sudden early this month I got an email from AT&T telling me I could upgrade to a iPhone 4 early. I'm guessing they are trying to dump their inventory of iphone 4's before no one wants them.

Actually, I doubt this. One idea I've heard is that Apple may be moving to a 3 tier model approach with the iPhone line. The 5 will be the new "high-end" model while the 4 is the "mid range", and the 3GS is the "entry level". This makes sense, and even if they do end up dropping a model I would assume they will drop the 3GS and keep the 4 as the low end model.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Actually, I doubt this. One idea I've heard is that Apple may be moving to a 3 tier model approach with the iPhone line. The 5 will be the new "high-end" model while the 4 is the "mid range", and the 3GS is the "entry level". This makes sense, and even if they do end up dropping a model I would assume they will drop the 3GS and keep the 4 as the low end model.

Why would Apple want to make four different phones at once? It also makes NO sense to lock Verizon users out of having the lowest-end phone.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I have an iPhone 3GS with AT&T. My current 2-year contract doesn't end until 4/21/2012, but when I ask AT&T if I am eligible for an upgrade, they say I will be eligible for an iPhone upgrade on 9/20/2011, a full 7 months before my contract ends. I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with an imminent iPhone launch in September. Would enjoy hearing whether my upgrade date is consistent with anyone else.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airjay81 View Post

...9/20/2011...

Ooh. Neat. iPhone 5 on my birthday. And it's a Tuesday post-BTS special, so iPods then, too.

Still can't get one. Whatever. I'm fine with my LG VX5300+iPhone 2G combo.