Alleged 'iPhone 5' case shows larger home button area, curved sides

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A schematic claimed to be for a case for Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone shows a larger area for the home button, a slightly larger screen, and the return of curved sides like on the iPhone 3GS.

The documents allegedly come from a Chinese case manufacturer, and were obtained by MobileFun.co.uk (via Cult of Mac). They show a design with curved sides, similar to iPhone models released before the current iPhone 4.

On the front, the case appears to have a larger, oval-shaped opening for where the device's home button would go. That could lend support to rumors from earlier this year that Apple's next-iPhone would feature a multi-touch "gesture area" in place of the current home button.

That same report also predicted that Apple's next iPhone would have a slightly larger 3.7-inch edge-to-edge screen. The images that claim to show a so-called "iPhone 5" case also suggest that the device may have a larger screen.

The photos show the handset's volume buttons and SIM card slot in the same place, but also show placement of the vibrate switch on the opposite side.

The case also suggests the device will feature an unmoved LED camera flash, which would contradict purported fifth-generation iPhone parts (1, 2), which leaked in May and suggested the camera lens and flash would be moved further apart to improve picture quality. Separating the camera flash and lens can reduce the red-eye effect seen in photographs.

The alleged schematic would contradict other rumors that the next iPhone will have a design largely similar to the current iPhone 4, with one of the biggest changes being a new, higher-resolution 8-megapixel camera and the addition of the A5 processor. Some reports have characterized the device as an "iPhone 4S," in references to the alleged minor changes.

Though the next iPhone will arrive later than usual this year, reports from Apple's supply chain have been picking up, indicating that the company is preparing to begin mass production of the next-generation device. Last week, during the company's quarterly earnings conference call, Apple executives revealed that an unnamed major product transition is in the cards to take place by the end of September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Thank god! I hated the rectangular shape!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    camcam Posts: 35member
    I actually LOVE the current, more rectilinear design.

The design in this article seems like a real step backwards... here is hoping it's not real.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CAM View Post

The design in this article seems like a real step backwards... here is hoping it's not real.

+1 I can see no way that Apple would produce a device looking like that as a premium phone, I can see it conceivably as a replacement for the 3GS as an entry level phone.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Unlike previous generations, these iPhone 5 rumors are all over the map.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Where is a microbrew quaffing field-tester when you need one eh?
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

I suspect that after the iPhone 4 leak, they re-doubled their efforts to maintain security and/or misinformation.

I just hope that Apple can maintain people's expectations. They will have waited an unprecedented 15 months since the debut of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 was a huge leap, so I suspect that this iteration will not be quite so big.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

+1 I can see no way that Apple would produce a device looking like that as a premium phone, I can see it conceivably as a replacement for the 3GS as an entry level phone.

ya i was gonna say this could be a 3gs remodel for the entry level than the 5 would keep the rectangular shape of the 4, while also upping screen size and separating the flash.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Where is a microbrew quaffing field-tester when you need one eh?

I think they went extinct a little over a year ago.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

and suggested the camera lens and flash would be moved further apart to improve picture quality.

You mean "farther," not "further."

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...s-farther.aspx

-Chris.com
  • Reply 10 of 53
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Ugly rendering. Can't believe Apple would ship an iPhone with the screen asymmetrically positioned vertically. Probably not true. The image strangely has the front view upside down.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The picture also suggests the new phone will be fatter at one end. Its not very clear but the last image on the right could be showing two profiles next to one another.

I love the shape of the ip4, though I have to admit it is impractical to have such a sensitive fine featured design on what is basically a utilitarian device which is guaranteed to be dropped. And don't start going on about cases because once you put a case on the damn thing design becomes irrelevant. Unless we are talking case design, of course.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    dr_ragsdr_rags Posts: 1member
    Did any one else notice that the thickness appears to vary from side to side and top to bottom?

On the CAD image on the lower left, the left side is thicker than the right (headset side). Also on the bottom right, the image that is cut off appears to show two cases laid one behind the other top to bottom to illustrate the difference in thickness.

Does this mean that the crazy curved iPhone rumors were true?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...een_rumor.html
  • Reply 13 of 53
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    The only way this (or any "case" leak) is true is if it is based on advanced access to production design plans, ie, the contract manufacturers who need to prep their manufacturing for new form factors. There is no way Apple gives specs to 3rd party case manufacturers - even trusted companies like Griffin and InCase - a full 2 months ahead of launch (assuming mid-september launch). We've seen Apple issue cease and desist orders before (such as for that iPad 2 case that leaked) which generally implies they are accurate, but I take these all with a HUGE grain of salt.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Of course, since Apple?s famous secrecy applies to peripheral & accessory makers, then clearly this has nothing to do with reality, especially some unnamed case maker in China

Cheers !
  • Reply 15 of 53
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    double post
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ardrilling View Post

ya i was gonna say this could be a 3gs remodel for the entry level than the 5 would keep the rectangular shape of the 4, while also upping screen size and separating the flash.

Another possibility is the oft-rumoured TD-SCDMA phone for china.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Fake.

And a really bad one at that.

Some kid was playing around with his trial or pirated 3D CAD package. The apple isn't centered in the circle. You wouldn't lay out the drawing that way, especially with the 2 views overlapped in the lower right corner, with one face-down and another one face-up in the background.

I wouldn't even say 'nice try'....
  • Reply 18 of 53
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CAM View Post

Yeah, I love the current design. This is indeed a step backwards.

I'm thinking this must be the new iPod touch instead in that the touch is really just a small iPad so the idea of it getting a SIM and keeping the same form factor makes sense. Perhaps there will even be a 7" intermediary size to make a family of three sizes for iPad.

I'm not against change, but this reeks of change for changes sake alone, if it's the new iPhone. It's also (again, if true) a kind of a direct admission that everything they said about the iPhone 4 antenna was a lie, which is a very unusual and very hard to believe move for Apple to make.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    I don't want to see a SCHEMATIC of a case - I want to see a case.

Schematics are just renditions or concepts. Let me see something that someone had to actually manufacture to put any validity to rumors.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Must mean Apple fired or "took care" of the leakers.