Apple rumored to eventually introduce ultra-thin 15-inch notebook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Actually, the new MacBook Airs that were just released are quad core machines.

Not according to the Apple website:

Processor

Enjoy incredible performance from the latest dual-core Intel processors ? the Core i5 and Core i7 ? that boost MacBook Air performance up to two times faster than before. Choose the speed and processor you want.

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 [Add $100.00]

http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/...co=MjMzOTQzNjM
  • Reply 42 of 159
    I wonder if the price of the 13 inch mba would drop if the new 15 and 17 inch laptops are marketed as an extension of the MacBook Air line?
  • Reply 43 of 159
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

it says dual core on the tech specs unless I'm missing something.

I sincerely hope they intend to keep the anti glare option for these future MBPs, or there's no MBPs in my future.
  • Reply 44 of 159
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    My prognostication:

As Steve Jobs said a year ago with the release of the redesigned Air, "this is the future of the Macbook line." So I think the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro lines will blur and become one.

I really like the direction of the Google Chromebook. I think Apple will surprise us with an iPad3-based device that will be like a Chromebook. No touchscreen, but with a keyboard. Running iOS on an A5 chip. This will dovetail with the whole iCloud initiative. And it'll be a step up from the Chromebook because it will run more than Safari -- it will run the rest of iOS.

And this new iOS keyboarded device will be the true descendent of the original Macbook Air -- it won't be a powerhouse, but it'll be light, and fast enough for basic tasks like web, email, videos, etc., with 10 hour battery life.
  • Reply 45 of 159
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is an AIR alternative to the current 15" machine. If done right I could see myself going that route for my next laptop upgrade. Personally I'd wait for Ivy Bridge but still a 15" AIR will be very desirable.

I Wasn't up to speed on Ivy Bridge. Were you? Here's an Executive Summary on Ivy Bridge:

Intel's New Tri-Gate Ivy Bridge Transistors: 9 Things You Need to Know

Learning this makes me want to wait for Ivy Bridge too.
  • Reply 46 of 159
    oric00oric00 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I am guessing that Apple will do with the MacBook Pro what they did with the Mac mini. Remove the optical drive and offer a hard drive or SSD or both. And, make it thinner. Everything else can remain the same - dedicated GPU, super-fast processor, etc. Offer only the 13" with a built-in optical drive to differentiate it from the Air.

What about FireWire. Will Apple force everyone to upgrade to a thunderbolt external device?
  • Reply 47 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oric00 View Post

What about FireWire. Will Apple force everyone to upgrade to a thunderbolt external device?

Tech changes. Get over it.

Thunderbolt is twice as fast as the fastest FireWire even specced: FireWire 3200. And absolutely nothing even uses FireWire 3200, anyway; your computer and accessories are, at best, 800.

You (or your clients) will be BEGGING for Thunderbolt over FireWire.
  • Reply 48 of 159
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Here's what's likely to happen based on how Apple has worked in the past:

3) FireWire 800 will be removed from the laptop completely. Few people ever use it and for those that do, I'm sure there will be a Thunderbolt->FireWire 800 adapter out by then.

4) Ethernet port will either be moved to the opposite side of the laptop or removed completely. If I had to guess, it's probably going to be the latter since Apple assumes most people use their laptop wirelessly. As an appeasement, they'll likely create their own Thunderbolt->Gigabit Ethernet adapter to prevent a huge uproar.

If they remove FW800 and Ethernet without a single Thunderbolt adapter for both (or daisy chained) for less than $50 for both, I'll have to buy the previous model. The idea that few use FW800 is not fact. And the hard wired Ethernet is far faster than 802.11 n.
  • Reply 49 of 159
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is an AIR alternative to the current 15" machine. If done right I could see myself going that route for my next laptop upgrade. Personally I'd wait for Ivy Bridge but still a 15" AIR will be very desirable.

Ditto. An Ivy Bridge equipped 15" Pro/Air would be my preference for my next machine.
  • Reply 50 of 159
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, which kind? The ODD or an HDD?

Because both are useless and outdated. The former can be bought externally for $30.

I still find having an HDD in my laptop useful.

(p.s. - pls stop being such a douche and speaking for others)
  • Reply 51 of 159
    The missing product in Apple's lineup is a 20" Macbook Pro. Battery life is not that important if it's a desktop replacement, you are never too far away from a wall outlet.

It's surprising Apple hasn't introduced such a laptop yet.
  • Reply 52 of 159
    I am one of the guys who uses the DVD Drive a lot. I use it to burn CDs and DVDs of a lot of Pink Floyd concerts. Luckily I have a drive in my iMac and my MBP. I am planning to buy the new MBA along with an external Superdrive as well. So, let Apple go ahead and show us the way by removing the disc drive from all future Macs. Who am I to stand in the way of progress!!
  • Reply 53 of 159
    vijayvijay Posts: 2member
    I understand that everyone are leaning towards a tapering macbook pro 15" and 17" in the next revision similar to the current macbook air 13" without the optical drive. But I have a different take on this subject and believe the next macbook pro's would be without the optical drive without an iota of doubt but it will be boxy, squarish similar to the current macbook pro but much slimmer say 0.65" to 0.70" all around instead of tapering like the current macbook air. Even the slimmer boxy look of the current macbook pro would have a charm of its own and apple might be able to cut down the weight by about a pound or so.
  • Reply 54 of 159
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I guess maybe I am alone in needing to do actual computing work on my laptop computer. So I view this non-optical drive, non-terabyte laptop idea with suspicion. Basically the work I do, could not be done on an Air. What is the point? To run Word? What would this machine be for? FCP editing, seriously?
  • Reply 55 of 159
    vijayvijay Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I guess maybe I am alone in needing to do actual computing work on my laptop computer. So I view this non-optical drive, non-terabyte laptop idea with suspicion. Basically the work I do, could not be done on an Air. What is the point? To run Word? What would this machine be for? FCP editing, seriously?

I believe if there are many users out there who cannot do without the optical drive then apple might just keep one model say 17" Macbook pro with Optical drive for one more generation to cater to their needs but lets face it in a couple of years time an optical drive would be redundant as technology advances and the work would be done over cloud computing or means of USB drives and/or through portable HDD/SSD disks.
  • Reply 56 of 159
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

No, they're not. The current MacBook Airs are dual core:

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Even if they have hyperthreading, you can't call that a quad core machine.
  • Reply 57 of 159
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spytrdr View Post

The missing product in Apple's lineup is a 20" Macbook Pro. Battery life is not that important if it's a desktop replacement, you are never too far away from a wall outlet.

You might need an upgraded lap though to accomdate it
  • Reply 58 of 159
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Most likely the 17inch will stay fat, portability is not its strong suit. We could see it lose the ODD though and get a choice of either second HDD or SSD in that bay. That would be very tasty for heavy users.
  • Reply 59 of 159
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

As much as I like the sleek and slim design of the MBA the thing that has always detered me is the lack of disk drive.

When do you find yourself needing it? For software installation? Movie DVDs?

With AppleTV and Netflix, etc., I have not watched a DVD in over a year. With most apps downloadable, I also rarely need the optical drive for installation.
  • Reply 60 of 159
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spytrdr View Post

It's not a surprise at all, IMO. First of all, you don't see that many such beasts around (at least I don't). Second, Apple does not have a habit of trying to span the entire range of a product market. The only exception is their iPod family.