Alleged 'iPhone 5' case shows larger home button area, curved sides

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Fake.

And a really bad one at that.

Some kid was playing around with his trial or pirated 3D CAD package. The apple isn't centered in the circle. You wouldn't lay out the drawing that way, especially with the 2 views overlapped in the lower right corner, with one face-down and another one face-up in the background.

I wouldn't even say 'nice try'....

I think you're right on.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    I think this is the new iPod Touch, not the new iPhone. (If indeed these are "real" designs)
  • Reply 23 of 53
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Fake.

Some kid was playing around with his trial or pirated 3D CAD package. The apple isn't centered in the circle. You wouldn't lay out the drawing that way, especially with the 2 views overlapped in the lower right corner, with one face-down and another one face-up in the background.

I suspect you're probably right, but I think the Apple actually is centered. The leaf going to the right often has an optical illusion to it. If you look at the center of the stem points on the top and bottom, it does look centered to me.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

The only way this (or any "case" leak) is true is if it is based on advanced access to production design plans, ie, the contract manufacturers who need to prep their manufacturing for new form factors. There is no way Apple gives specs to 3rd party case manufacturers - even trusted companies like Griffin and InCase - a full 2 months ahead of launch (assuming mid-september launch). We've seen Apple issue cease and desist orders before (such as for that iPad 2 case that leaked) which generally implies they are accurate, but I take these all with a HUGE grain of salt.

urrr... yes they do, incase always had cases ready at the Apple Store during launch, so they must've had measurements at the latest 6 months prior the shipping date.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member
    Maybe I'm being more careful with my iPhone 4, but I was constantly dropping my iPhone 3. Seems to me the iPhone 4's 'rectangular' design is easier to hold onto? Can't remember ever dropping my iPhone 4? (Knock on wood! ) In fact, I don't even have a case for my iPhone 4!
  • Reply 26 of 53
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Fake.

This is not an Apple case but an aftermarket case. Such renditions have surfaced before and turned out to be legit. Measurements will sometimes leak from manufacturers or trusted 3rd party manufacturers, no matter how much security you place in a factory, measurements can be memorized and written-down later, then sold for a pretty penny.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This looks completely wrong to me. Then again the iPhone 4 leak looked fake before we got the high-def images of the device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris.com View Post

You mean "farther," not "further."

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...s-farther.aspx

-Chris.com

I don't consider that to be incorrect despite the fact I'd have used 'farther' as described by GG. If you read the entire article you link to you'll see 'further' is also accepted by all but the most pedantic. Considering this is a tech forum the fact your entire post — and your second post on this forum — was to point out what you think is an incorrect word by a single letter I wonder what you expected to gain from your off-topic comment.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Maybe I'm being more careful with my iPhone 4, but I was constantly dropping my iPhone 3. Seems to me the iPhone 4's 'rectangular' design is easier to hold onto? Can't remember ever dropping my iPhone 4? (Knock on wood! ) In fact, I don't even have a case for my iPhone 4!

Same experience, my Og iPhone went a flying many a time and though the screen never cracked it did take the odd ding on the metal. My iP4 has blessedly remained firmly in hand.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't consider that to be incorrect despite the fact I'd have used 'farther' as described by GG. If you read the entire article you link to you'll see 'further' is also accepted by all but the most pedantic. Considering this is a tech forum the fact your entire post ? and your second post on this forum ? was to point out what you think is an incorrect word by a single letter I wonder what you expected to gain from your off-topic comment.

Well said! I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi myself but I don't ever call people out for misusage unless it somehow creates ambiguity. And as anyone who has studied language knows, the whole point of grammar is not to adhere to arbitrary rules, but rather to ensure clarity in communication. Swapping out "further" and "farther" creates no ambiguity, regardless of the nuances of difference in their definitions.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Re: farther vs. further ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... I don't consider that to be incorrect despite the fact I'd have used 'farther' as described by GG. If you read the entire article you link to you'll see 'further' is also accepted by all but the most pedantic. Considering this is a tech forum the fact your entire post ? and your second post on this forum ? was to point out what you think is an incorrect word by a single letter I wonder what you expected to gain from your off-topic comment.

Just because people are using a word incorrectly doesn't make it right.

I'm usually in favour of grey areas in grammar, but these words have (at least originally) completely different meanings. I mean why don't we all just exchange grunts and forget about grammar altogether if we are going to do this.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

if it's the new iPhone. It's also (again, if true) a kind of a direct admission that everything they said about the iPhone 4 antenna was a lie, which is a very unusual and very hard to believe move for Apple to make.

It's not impossible that the new iPhone-5 won't have the wrap-around antenna, changes might be required for them to move to a single CDMA/GSM model. The existing iP4 models have to have slightly different cases as I understand it in order to handle their different antenna needs.

This is all very hypothetical though, I freely confess to knowing nothing about modern RF circuits.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

I'm usually in favour of grey areas in grammar, but these words have (at least originally) completely different meanings. I mean why don't we all just exchange grunts and forget about grammar altogether if we are going to do this.

Indeed lets not take this any f*rther.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Just because people don't think a word is correct doesn't make it upright. As inkswamp astutely stated the purpose of language is to communicate.

Let's remember that all language is made up. That means that all rules, all spellings, all definitions, and even their associated phonemes and morphemes.

One day, perhaps even your lifetime, your use of the word 'grey' may be considered incorrect for your usage in favor of 'gray'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Indeed lets not take this any f*rther.

I'm ruther enjoying it.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    This is a case for a new Samsung phone, it just looks like it's for an iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Its probably a case for a fake iPhone sold at one of the fake Apple Stoer.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Unlike previous generations, these iPhone 5 rumors are all over the map.

That's because they are a mixture of rumors about "Plan A" (iPhone 5) and "Plan B" (iPhone 4S).
  • Reply 37 of 53
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I like the current iPhone 4 form factor.

I think it is classy.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Remember that there was talk about Apple still selling the iPhone 3GS as an entry level device that would be cheep without a contract and really cheep with a contract. Well if they were going to do that they would need to bring one to Verizon too...so this might be the new iPhone 3GS that would have that dual CDMA/GSM chip. That would also explain why the LED flash hasnt moved because they might use the 5MB camera module that is used in the iPhone 4, and the new iPhone 4S or 5 would then have the new 8MB camera module with dual LED flash. If you think about it if they do keep the iPhone 3GS around they would have to update the look and maybe some of the internals because if they plan on supporting the phone with later iOS updates they usually keep updates for a phone 3, 4 years after it has been out right? Moving this new iPhone 3GS to the A4 would also make more sense with all the new dual core chip phones coming out now...it would also allow the iPhone 4S to have the A5 and the new iPhone 5 and iPad 3 could run the rumored A6 or an updated beefier A5+

Just some thoughts off the top of my head...let me know what you think...
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruoppster View Post

Remember that there was talk about Apple still selling the iPhone 3GS as an entry level device that would be cheep without a contract and really cheep with a contract. Well if they were going to do that they would need to bring one to Verizon too...so this might be the new iPhone 3GS that would have that dual CDMA/GSM chip.

One problem with changing the 3GS shell too extensively is it impacts their litigation against samsung - which is another reason why I wonder if this might be the long fabled TD-SCDMA phone.

Quote:

Moving this new iPhone 3GS to the A4 would also make more sense with all the new dual core chip phones coming out now...it would also allow the iPhone 4S to have the A5 and the new iPhone 5 and iPad 3 could run the rumored A6 or an updated beefier A5+

I think we can safely assume that any new model of phone, will have at least an A4, but other than that it's not clear. Lots of rumours, but no real data.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Whatever the shape of the thing I just hope it is thicker so that it will have more battery space. The anorexic look gets in the way of functionality.