Apple's iPhone 5 rumored to launch during 2nd week of Sept., iPad 3 reportedly pushed back

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new unverified report suggests that Apple intends to release its next-generation iPhone between Sept. 6 and Sept. 15 with an initial shipment of 4 million units, while suggesting that component shortages may have delayed the release of the next iPad until after this year's Thanksgiving holiday.

The Chinese-language China Times reports that suppliers indicate an initial test shipment of 400,000 handsets has been sent to Apple ahead of the rumored September launch. According to the report, Apple plans to launch the so-called iPhone 5 during the second week of September, which the publication notes as Sept. 6 to Sept 15.

The report also claimed that the rumored release of a next-generation iPad later this year is experiencing delays because of component issues. As such, sources told the publication that the device is not expected to be released until late November.

Persistent rumors have suggested that Apple will release another iPad later this year. On Tuesday, anonymous industry sources suggested that Apple has added four Taiwanese integrated circuit makers to its supply chain for the iPad 3. One analyst claimed earlier this month that Apple could introduce an "iPad 2 Plus" with a high-resolution display later this year.

In March, the publication claimed the iPhone 5 will sport an improved antenna, 4-inch screen and NFC e-wallet. It should be noted, however, that the China Times has a mixed track record with Apple predictions.

For its part, Apple said last week it is planning a "future product transition" during the current September quarter. Industry watchers have largely presumed that the product in question is the company's fifth-generation iPhone.

According to one report earlier this week, wireless operator AT&T is preparing for a mid-September launch of the next iPhone. Apple Stores in the U.S. and U.K. are also reportedly gearing up for the expected launch by bringing on seasonal staff in August and September.

Apple's next iPhone is expected to be thinner, lighter and include an 8-megapixel camera. The handset will likely debut alongside the release of iOS 5, the next major update to the iPhone maker's mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    It's still unclear to me why there needs to be two iPad launches in a single year. Other than a subpar camera the specs on the iPad 2 are fine IMO and it's the software that needs to mature (iOS 5) rather than another hardware rollout.

my $.02
  • Reply 2 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The iPhone 5 data sounds reasonable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's still unclear to me why there needs to be two iPad launches in a single year.

The only plausible reason I can conceive would be Apple acting very aggressive to make sure the iPad is another iPod, not an iPhone, in unit percentage for the market. I have doubts of the iPad 3 but there is precedence for changing up release cycles of the iPhone and they were very vocal (read: aggressive) during the iPad 2 special event regarding their competition.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    I just love how it has now seemingly been taken as fact that we're getting another iPad this year...
  • Reply 4 of 56
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you think? The 4million number sounds far too low. It's not even enough to match current demand levels if this is supposed to replace the iP4. Never mind the initial post-launch demand.

I would imagine they'd need more like 10million in place for a launch, maybe more.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    China Times also said the iPhone 5 will have a 2MP front facing camera.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple said last week it is planning a "future product transition" during the current September quarter. Industry watchers have largely presumed that the product in question is the company's fifth-generation iPhone. ...

Oh come on, you guys aren't even making sense here.

Since when is the new version of a regularly expected product ... a "product transition." If that's a product transition then they need to announce it for every product they produce, every single year that they produce them.

The only time Apple has previously used this "product transition" term, is when they drop a product, create a new product, or merge it into a different product line. It may be they were referring to the dropping of the MacBook and replacing it with the Air, or it may mean something we don't even know yet, but it sure is not the arrival of this year's iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think the iPhone 5 would benefit from having a Facetime HD camera as well since pretty much all new Macs are coming with HD versions of Facetime.

Really hoping to see the Siri integration done right from launch. Dragon Go is pretty interesting but Siri has the potential to be even better.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Since when is the new version of a regularly expected product ... a "product transition." If that's a product transition then they need to announce it for every product they produce, every single year that they produce them.

The only time Apple has previously used this "product transition" term, is when they drop a product, create a new product, or merge it into a different product line. It may be they were referring to the dropping of the MacBook and replacing it with the Air, or it may mean something we don't even know yet, but it sure is not the arrival of this year's iPhone.

I think you might be confusing a transition with an introduction. The very definition of transition is a change, as though from one product to another (for example, iPhone 4 to iPhone 5). To introduce an entirely new product line would not fall under the commonly understood meaning of the word "transition".
  • Reply 9 of 56
    How does an unannounced product get pushed back from an unannounced date?
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezylstra View Post

How does an unannounced product get pushed back from an unannounced date?

With an unannouncement of course.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Apple never releases new product after September so as not to disrupt holiday sales.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

Sure, but every new iPhone model since the 3G has come with termination of an old model, hence a transition. These aren't just modified versions of previous phones after all, the iP 4 is a completely different beast to the 3GS.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Apple never releases new product after September so as not to disrupt holiday sales.

Oct 01 - iPod

Oct 04 - iPod Photo

Oct 05 - iPod 5G

I can't think of any November releases, but a late October release is not unprecedented.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:

It's still unclear to me why there needs to be two iPad launches in a single year. Other than a subpar camera the specs on the iPad 2 are fine IMO and it's the software that needs to mature (iOS 5) rather than another hardware rollout.

my $.02

I can understand another iPad -- Either (or both) a HD model and an entry model. Apple needs to take control of this market [that it created] while the taking is there.

I am still hoping for an iPad offering to address the OLPC/OTPC One Laptop/Tablet Per Child market.

As for the iPhone... I Have an iP4 and can't think of much it doesn't do well. I will, likely, buy an iP5 but I can't think of a compelling feature lacking in the iP4 (I run the iOS 5 beta). The A5 and more RAM would be overkill, IMO.

Realize, though, this is from someone who uses an iPad for most all his mobile needs.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only plausible reason I can conceive would be Apple acting very aggressive to make sure the iPad is another iPod, not an iPhone, in unit percentage for the market. I have doubts of the iPad 3 but there is precedence for changing up release cycles of the iPhone and they were very vocal (read: aggressive) during the iPad 2 special event regarding their competition.

"[T]he whole point of grammar is not to adhere to arbitrary rules, but rather to ensure clarity in communication."

Could you explain the meaning of your sig
  • Reply 16 of 56
    From PR Perspective... I don't think Apple would release anything Big before 9/11/11... Given that it's the 10th Anniversary of that Horrible Event, I don't think Apple needs that topic to drown out it's Happy New Product Announcement, add the Security Concerns around that date, given that it's the 10th Anniversary... So I really doubt that it would be before 9/12/11, which falls on Monday!

But in general... Worrying about the exact date of a Product Release is a waste of time!!! Sometimes Rumors, or Opinions are just that, or a Spin, stock manipulation, or games that some play in order to get their names into the news!!!

I so respect Apple as a Company! I agree with its Secrecy, and PR Management! Clearly, they have tons of talented people working at Apple, led by smart people, all working under well sculpted Big Visions, Road Map etc... And to put it all together and execute on a Worldwide Scale repeatedly, as they have for for years?! Amazing!!!

I can't wait to buy the Next iPhone!!! Hopefully it'll be good enough for the Consumer Reports !!!
  • Reply 17 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

my $.02

There likely won't be. This will end up being the tech version of the gossip stories that this or that rumored celeb couple broke up. The stories are really to cover up that they were never a couple at all, which is why no one could get any proof. By the same token, the tales of delays are probably just to cover up that the rumors were wrong. In November there will be another delay until Spring 2012, right when the iPad was always going to come out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

From PR Perspective... I don't think Apple would release anything Big before 9/11/11... Given that it's the 10th Anniversary of that Horrible Event, I don't think Apple needs that topic to drown out it's Happy New Product Announcement,

Beware of giving Apple too much credit. After all, this is the company that released the iPad 1 on Easter weekend (woe to all the Christian Apple employees that might have wanted that day off for religious reasons cause they likely didn't get it)
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

@PP I agree! Product Transition == new product in an existing market or new product in a new market!
  • Reply 19 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

With an unannouncement of course.

funniest post
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@PP I agree! Product Transition == new product in an existing market or new product in a new market!

Except it doesn't seem that's what Apple meant because they implied it would result in reduced revenues, whereas a wholly new product would result in increased revenues.