Photos claim to show Apple's lighter, cheaper iPhone 4 prototype

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

With a budget phone they have to ensure top of the range sales do not suffer.

Its has to be a fine balance in the design decisions.

Agree. I worry that Apple's old reliable business model of differentiating itself by offering the premium product is being compromised in a way that will bring negative unintended consequences. Would rather see Apple create a different brand for "burners."
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _BeAsTMaSteR_ View Post

This seems cool and all, but how much of decrease in price will this thing ultimately have? Because no doubt the iPhone 4 will become cheaper once the 5 is launched, so in essence you'd actually have two "cheaper" iPhone 4's, the current model and the new plastic model.

Actually Apple would do it this way:

8 or 16 GB plastic iPhone 4 = entry level

16 or 32 or 64 GB glass front and back iPhone 4s/5 (same design with updated internal hardware) = 2011 premium models

I am fully expecting the next gen iPhone to look the exact same as the current iPhone 4. It is a big seller, no need to change the design.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Apple engineers gotta stop 1) taking their work home with them and 2) stopping at the local pub on the way.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Btw, am I the only one clueless as to what benefits a gesture-based home button would bring? I guess the only logical advantage I can see would be enabling task switching through swiping across it, but this seems too niche to compromise a physical button for.

The gesture home "button" on the Palm Pre/Pixi was probably one of the best parts of the phone. You could easily do so much and see so much by just using your thumb. Sucked that their hardware was so much of a complete failure. I still don't know why they insist on having a VERTICAL keyboard slider with tiny keys that are hard to press.

That said, with all the patent slinging, I wonder if Apple really can do gestures through the home button.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Apple engineers gotta stop 1) taking their work home with them and 2) stopping at the local pub on the way.

They have. This isn't one.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have. This isn't one.

I forgot the <joke> tag on my comment. Sorry. Heh.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Wow, those are some of the most conclusive photos AI has ever published. They are ipso facto photos of the new cheaper iPhone; the photos provide conclusive proof. There is no way that those photos are simply photos of current iPhone 4's with little marks that align with the antenna slits.

Good find, guys.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I was thinking the iPhone 4 rectangle shape should be very easy to manufacture, with yield rate to have improved over the year. Apple would properly have some thoughts on cost saving as well. However i wonder if these savings and go without Glass plate is really enough for a $350 devices. After all we are talking about $250 cost savings from current iPhone 4.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I can tell you straight away this wont work. If both of them look the same then Most people will buy the plastic 16GB model.

If this is indeed a cheaper model. Then it is VERY likely iPhone 5 will be a new design. Old production facility can continue to make the cheaper iPhone 4, with its yield rate worked through out the year and expansion in capacity. It should be able keep up with demand on the lower end market.

New production line would properly be an upgrade from the previous iPhone 3G line, which actually has less capacity then the iPhone 4 production line, this should work well for the Higher Priced models.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why would they make the cheap version white? White iPhone is a status symbol of sorts, so I doubt they would be giving these away for 49 bucks any time soon.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

Besides, I don't doubt Apple's plastic screen would no doubt be "magical" in some way... Bulletproof, scratchproof, etc. Considering many of the entry level models end up in the hands of the younger set, a plastic screen makes some sense. As log as the touch screen operates up to Apple's standards, and the problem of scratching or hazing is addressed, why not plastic for the screen, especially for the "starter" iPhone?

If the average entry-level consumer can get them some iPhone 4 for under $50, I don't think they're going to care.

I think you are forgetting a huge factor here: Steve Jobs. He will not sell something cheesy or cheap feeling for the best margin in the world. This is a brand that is his baby. Not to many companies in the world with Apples size and value that was started with his buddy and another guy in his Mom's garage that have there original CEO. Lets see there is Apple and then there is?oh I guess it is just Apple.

Steve had the original first run (I think it was 40k units) sent back because the plastic was not the right fit. It did not have the right feel. What has changed that would make him take the classiest phone in the world and do a cheap feeling version? I don't buy plastic for the final product. We don't even know if this is a EVT unit or a DVT. It certainly isn't up to final build standards.

No way on a plastic screen.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

If they release that shitty looking thing and that's what finally comes to TMobile instead of the iPhone5, I'm gonna be pissed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

Perhaps... perhaps not. If the next entry level model is based on the iPhone 4 design, it's becoming harder and harder to differentiate entry-level from top of the line. A plastic screen is one way to do it. I've used phones with plastic screens, and they do feel cheaper, but they get the job done.

Besides, I don't doubt Apple's plastic screen would no doubt be "magical" in some way... Bulletproof, scratchproof, etc. Considering many of the entry level models end up in the hands of the younger set, a plastic screen makes some sense. As log as the touch screen operates up to Apple's standards, and the problem of scratching or hazing is addressed, why not plastic for the screen, especially for the "starter" iPhone?

If the average entry-level consumer can get them some iPhone 4 for under $50, I don't think they're going to care.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by _BeAsTMaSteR_ View Post

This seems cool and all, but how much of decrease in price will this thing ultimately have? Because no doubt the iPhone 4 will become cheaper once the 5 is launched, so in essence you'd actually have two "cheaper" iPhone 4's, the current model and the new plastic model. The iPhone 4 is pretty fast right now, so is a "seemingly" faster iPhone 4s really going to be all that great? I know having last years model as the cheaper version of the iPhone (as opposed to having a lower end yet newer model) isn't exactly the same thing, but it seems to have worked out so far. I don't know I guess what I'm wondering is how much better will a cheaper plasticy (newer) iPhone be when compared to a year old model that is still a very nice phone and cheaper because of age? I guess time will tell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The iPhone 4 is currently quite cheap to manufacture right. iPod touches too. They are carrying >41% gross margin on the product. So, they can put in a downclocked A5, use the iPod touch display, 16 GB storage, etc, and hit a $350 price point, no contract, with 35% margin quite easily I think.

Replacing the glass front and back is also a nice change for a so-called iPhone "lite". This would be the iPod touch w/3G and a cheap pre-paid iPhone. A lot of kids will be using it and it needs to be durable.

The difference between the two isn't all that great here. If this is the new low end version (3GS:4::4S:5), it's just the same old strategy of using last years phone as the budget model. If that is all Apple is doing, it'll be business as usual.

A big change would be if this model was a no-contract model for $350 or less. That's iPod touch w/3G category and selling into prepaid market territory, which is something like 70% of the cell phone market out there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I was thinking the iPhone 4 rectangle shape should be very easy to manufacture, with yield rate to have improved over the year. Apple would properly have some thoughts on cost saving as well. However i wonder if these savings and go without Glass plate is really enough for a $350 devices. After all we are talking about $250 cost savings from current iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I can tell you straight away this wont work. If both of them look the same then Most people will buy the plastic 16GB model.

If this is indeed a cheaper model. Then it is VERY likely iPhone 5 will be a new design. Old production facility can continue to make the cheaper iPhone 4, with its yield rate worked through out the year and expansion in capacity. It should be able keep up with demand on the lower end market.

New production line would properly be an upgrade from the previous iPhone 3G line, which actually has less capacity then the iPhone 4 production line, this should work well for the Higher Priced models.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Why would they make the cheap version white? White iPhone is a status symbol of sorts, so I doubt they would be giving these away for 49 bucks any time soon.

You guys don't get that this is a PROTOTYPE.

The finished phone probably won't look anything like this. They probably only made this phone look like an iPhone 4 to throw people off. If this is a real prototype, Apple was likely testing the feasibility of a plastic touch screen and the durability of using plastic in general. The plastic screen and back have to match Apple's standards hence why they would be testing the plastic in the wild like this.

My guess is the actual phone will look like an all plastic 3GS, more or less, like the Samsung Galaxy S.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

You guys don't get that this is a PROTOTYPE.

No, it's a conversion kit for existing phones.

Quote:

The finished phone probably won't look anything like this.

Because these images have nothing to do with anything that even remotely concerns a future product.

Quote:

They probably only made this phone look like an iPhone 4 to throw people off.

No, it's a conversion kit.

Quote:

If this is a real prototype,

It isn't.

Quote:

Apple was likely testing the feasibility of a plastic touch screen

They did. In January 2007. It sucked, so they went with optical quality glass before the first-gen iPhone even went into production. For a REASON.

Quote:

My guess is the actual phone will look like an all plastic 3GS, more or less, like the Samsung Galaxy S.

"If you see a plastic screen, they did it wrong."
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Wow, matte finish on the display. What is that, scratch-easy plastic? LOL, reverse Apple's obsession with shiny, reflective displays
  • Reply 35 of 43
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"If you see a plastic screen, they did it wrong."

I agree with your assessment?Apple will never go the cheap plastic route.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wow, matte finish on the display. What is that, scratch-easy plastic? LOL, reverse Apple's obsession with shiny, reflective displays

Scratch-easy plastic! Quick, somebody patent it!! LOL.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Scratch-easy plastic! Quick, somebody patent it!! LOL.

Maybe they want to make it look so bad Samsung won't even want to rip it off.

Although the people posting these pictures have had accurate leaks in the past, this could be a false prototype sent through to weed them out but I suspect it's just a hoax. By running jailbroken software, they can detail the processor, RAM, storage capacity etc.

Couple this with the fact Apple said they are doing a product transition in September suggests this isn't genuine.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Is it just me? but these photos look like they are just glass paneled iPhone 4 with those anti-glare protective screen films attached to.

I see borders around the home button and speaker hole.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Apple has said several times it will address the need for an iPhone on prepaid networks, Apple does a ton of business overseas, and prepaid in much more popular overseas.

Apple needs a "cheap" phone for BIC, Brazil, India, China...

Hmmm mm mm........
  • Reply 40 of 43
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    The cheap version of iPhone should simply be a smaller version of the iPhone. Like the first iPod mini that caused the real explosion in sales numbers for ipod back in 2004.

I for one would actually prefer a smaller phone that fits better in you pocket.

iPhone mini (or nano). 2 inch screen. 3G

iPhone 4 inch screen 4G

This would be a major success.