First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On the heels of news that Microsoft's "Mango" update for Windows Phone 7 has been released to manufacturing, industry sources claim HTC, Samsung and LG will launch the first Mango-based smartphones in September, presumably coordinated to directly compete with Apple's next-generation iPhone.

Sources told Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes that handset vendors plan to launch their new Mango devices in September, even as Apple is expected to release the iPhone 5 during the same timeframe. For its part, the Redmond, Wash., software giant announced earlier this week that it had sent Mango to handset and carrier partners on schedule for a fall release.

Acer, ZTE And Fujitsu Toshiba have also recently shown off Mango phones that are expected to arrive this fall. For instance, the report notes that Fujitsu Toshiba is working with Japanese carrier KDDI to bring to market the IS12T, which features a "Qualcomm MSM 8655 processor, 3.7-inch touch screen and 13.2-megapixel camera."

Insiders noted that HTC is expected to release "a number of Mango phones, powered by Qualcomm 1.5GHz single-core CPUs with display sizes ranging from 3.8- to 4.7-inch."

Meanwhile, Nokia, arguably the vendor most committed to Windows Phone 7, will reportedly unveil its first batch of Mango devices at Nokia World 2011 in October. According to the report, sources implied that the Finnish handset maker's strategy may be to release its first Windows Phone 7 handsets "at a time when fellow vendors have already heated up the market for Mango phones."

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said last month that he has "increased confidence" that the company will launch its first Windows-based device later this year and begin to ship in volume next year. 2011 and 2012 are to be "transition years" for the company, which for years reigned the global smartphone market until Apple's iPhone displaced it last quarter.

Microsoft first showed off Mango in May, touting "more than 500 new features."

Notable additions to Windows Phone 7 Mango include Conversation View for emails and threaded conversations that bring together text, instant message and Facebook chat all into one conversation. The update will also introduce app multitasking and Internet Explorer 9, with support for new HTML 5 web sites.

Though recent data from Nielsen shows Microsoft has held onto just a 9 percent share of the U.S. smartphone operating system market, the Windows maker is betting that its stable of partners will provide the momentum needed to challenge the iPhone and Android when Mango arrives this fall.

Several recent rumors have pegged the iPhone 5 for a September launch. On Wednesday, the China Times claimed that suppliers have said Apple will release a next-generation iPhone during the second week of September. Also, AT&T is reportedly preparing for a mid-Sept. launch.

The new handset is said to be thinner and lighter, with the A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera. Recently discovered photos also suggest that Apple is working on a cheaper, lighter and faster revision of the iPhone 4 that could become the company's entry-level model alongside the fifth-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though recent data from Nielsen shows Microsoft has held onto just a 9 percent share of the U.S. smartphone operating system market, the Windows maker is betting that its stable of partners will provide the momentum needed to challenge the iPhone and Android when Mango arrives this fall.

worse it's mostly old win-mo handsets. WP7 is more like 1%
  • Reply 2 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    They won't be challenging the iPhone. That's a losing battle. It'll be against Android.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Mango will get slaughtered by the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Game on.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Zzzzzz... Nothing to see here folks, move along. As a poster mentioned Android is doing all the challenging to iOS, not WP7.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Microsoft suuuuuuuuuuckkkksssssaaaa!!!!! Mango's are for eating!!!!!

• Reply 7 of 48
    I think micrsloft is awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    I predict that in 2 years Apple will have lost a couple of percent to WP7 and Android will have lost 10 percent or more to WP7.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I love microsloft

I don't love Microsoft but Mango is starting to grow on me.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

From all the times you've used it, probably.

Good luck to Microsoft. I'm sure investors will love hearing why Microsoft decided it was a good idea to launch against the most anticipated phone year in and year out.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Good luck to Microsoft. I'm sure investors will love hearing why Microsoft decided it was a good idea to launch against the most anticipated phone year in and year out.

Just one of the many ways in which microsoft has managed to totally screw up the marketing of WP7.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Apple must be terrified. What ever will they do??
  • Reply 13 of 48
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

the investors have a better idea;

• Reply 14 of 48
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    i hope it comes in the brown color
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Not Microsoft but Microsloft. Slofs are cute. I think they eat mangos.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 48
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:

the investors have a better idea;

...Okay.

And while the investors daydream about peeing on Apple, Apple continues to eat Microsoft's lunch and take a massive dump on their heads.

Bathroom humor is the fun.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    If this turns out like everything else MSFT has done the only challenge is going to be Microsofts Steve Balmer trying to find another job.

• Reply 18 of 48
    I think the company in the MS crosshairs is not Apple, but RIM.

There are squillions of corporate types who need cheap messaging devices, often QWERTY, that hook up to Exchange without the cost and complexity of BES.

Nokia is an ideal handset partner in this space and, unlike Apple, MS owns the whole enterprise messaging ecosystem.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    At least Microsoft is kinda starting anew.

Just got the message on my PC during BIOS startup:

No Keyboard Detected. Press F1 To Resume

Windows Phone could have said:

No Signal Detected. Call 1800-WP7 To Activate
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At least Microsoft is kinda starting anew.

Just got the message on my PC during BIOS startup:

No Keyboard Detected. Press F1 To Resume

Windows Phone could have said:

No Signal Detected. Call 1800-WP7 To Activate

Not for nothing, but MS didn't write the BIOS on your PC's motherboard.