Launchpad issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have just upgraded to Lion and the only real issue I have is with launchpad;

My Macbook dual boots Lion/XP using bootcamp

When I use Launchpad it shows apps for BOTH Mac and XP programmes. Obviously clicking on the Windows icons just reports an error.

How can I hide the windows icons?

Secondly, is it possible to make the icons larger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHWeaver View Post

When I use Launchpad it shows apps for BOTH Mac and XP programs.

Because you have Parallels, VMWare, or some other virtualization software that lets you run Windows applications in OS X.

Quote:

How can I hide the windows icons?

By removing that virtualizing software.

Quote:

Secondly, is it possible to make the icons larger?

No.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    NO!

I don't use any virtualisation software, I have a separate partition (dual-boot) using bootcamp. So I either boot into Mac OSX or Windows.

Launchpad is ignoring the fact that windows is on a 'separate' drive and showing the icons for the windows partition.

I have found a temporary solution by putting all the windows related icons into 3 folders (there are that many) called XP1, XP2, XP3 then placing the folders to the far right hand side screen (out of the way). BTW if you didn't know, folders are created using a similar method used for iPhone/iPad, drag one icon on top of another and it automatically creates a folder, which you can rename if you wish.

Still haven't found a way to increase the icon size though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow! Weird that it's picking up the Windows Bootcamp apps.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow! Weird that it's picking up the Windows Bootcamp apps.

Particularly since it CAN'T...

Take a screenshot of your Launchpad showing this, man. It's really really curious.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    One issue with Launchpad... The trackpad gesture is actually pretty tricky. Launching LaunchPad (LOL) is kinda okay, but the spread-fingers method to make it go away is not always recognised.

For now Launchpad is just a pretty way for me to see all my apps instead of using the Finder.

To open apps I'd just start it from the Dock or use Spotlight.

Really digging full-screen apps though, I love the elegance of it.

Was a bit sckeptical about "Resume" after Shut Down but will probably give it a go.

The rubber-banding in scrolling in various apps is kinda cute and fun. I wonder when or if the novelty will wear off.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Ad one time I setup BootCamp and then deleted this partition. At a later date I downloaded and setup a trial version of Parallels and I installed Windows XP as a virtual machine. Again, at a later date I got rid of the Parallels trial as I bought VMWare instead, however, I was unable to get rid of the Parallels icons in LaunchPad.

Eventually I found a way to clean up my LaunchPad by finding the following directory: "Windows XP Applications" and delete it. Note: Your directory may be different depending on what flavour of Windows you installed.

To find where the directory was I typed into spotlight "internet explorer" without the quotation marks.

NOTE: To open the containing folder of "internet explorer" I held down the Command key and click on "internet explorer".

I then dragged the folder "Windows XP Applications" that was containing "internet explorer" to the Trash Bin.

Then I opened a terminal session and typed the following: rm ~/Library/Application\\ Support/Dock/*.db sudo killall Dock

That cleaned up my LaunchPad.

Note it took about 10 to 15 seconds to for LaunchPad reindex the correct applications.

Doug
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougpan View Post

Ad one time I setup BootCamp and then deleted this partition. At a later date I downloaded and setup a trial version of Parallels and I installed Windows XP as a virtual machine. Again, at a later date I got rid of the Parallels trial as I bought VMWare instead, however, I was unable to get rid of the Parallels icons in LaunchPad.

Eventually I found a way to clean up my LaunchPad by finding the following directory: "Windows XP Applications" and delete it. Note: Your directory may be different depending on what flavour of Windows you installed.

To find where the directory was I typed into spotlight "internet explorer" without the quotation marks.

NOTE: To open the containing folder of "internet explorer" I held down the Command key and click on "internet explorer".

I then dragged the folder "Windows XP Applications" that was containing "internet explorer" to the Trash Bin.

Then I opened a terminal session and typed the following: rm ~/Library/Application\\ Support/Dock/*.db sudo killall Dock

That cleaned up my LaunchPad.

Note it took about 10 to 15 seconds to for LaunchPad reindex the correct applications.

Doug

Yes good point. I just discovered that .db clean you mention, that's great for re-ordering all your LaunchPad items alphabetically.