First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Microsoft can polish the turd known as Windows Mobile/Windows Phone/whatever they call it this week, and it is still a turd. Horrible UI, no apps, no ecosystem, terrible Zune service, forced integration with the terrible BING search, etc....

Microsoft should just stuck to what they know...how to maintain their illegally obtained Windows and Office monopolies and stop pissing away shareholders money on money sinks.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

presumably coordinated to directly compete with Apple's next-generation iPhone.

More likely coordinated to be availible as a present for the holidays, and coordinated to when that actually finished writing it. After all it was announced in January a long time before there was anything certain about iPhone 5.

Obvioulsy most people on here prefer iPhones, this is an Apple site after all. But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Personally when I was looking at Android phones the other week, most of them looked a bit rubbish but as most of them were also very cheap I kind of understand why there selling so well.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post

Not for nothing, but MS didn't write the BIOS on your PC's motherboard.

I though MS / Bill Gates wrote MS-DOS - the Operating System of the first Intel based PCs - that is not the same as BIOS - sure they had to have BIOS and it was the reverse engineering of the BIOS that allowed the PC clone market to erupt all over the technology landscape wreaking the havoc that has reigned through the land since.

Not quite sure about in the beginning - but nowadays I think American Megatrends and Phoenix Software Associates have an awful lot of THAT market tied up.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They won't be challenging the iPhone. That's a losing battle. It'll be against Android.

I agree. All 'Mangle' will do is further fragment the Apple haters share.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At least Microsoft is kinda starting anew.

Just got the message on my PC during BIOS startup:

No Keyboard Detected. Press F1 To Resume

Windows Phone could have said:

No Signal Detected. Call 1800-WP7 To Activate

Or as they get cloned and ripped off ... "Detected another device in use with the same licensed number. Shutting down.

BTW are they shipping a bown version?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I don't love Microsoft but Mango is starting to grow on me.

I don't think even your master is gonna pull this one off (see his info) i.e., pull MS butt from the fiery hell of the phone wars. As far you signature line, that makes you sound like a basher. If you have some reasonable comments to make or share about what you think is cool about mango go for it, if not your just here as a heckler.

Best wishes. Peace.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I can't wait to see monkey boy do the mango dance.

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango.,M ango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Ma ngo, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango…

Take it away Ballmer!

Edit: after my previous post I guess I sound just a wee bit hypocritical. But hey I didn't say I was perfect.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

I think the company in the MS crosshairs is not Apple, but RIM.

There are squillions of corporate types who need cheap messaging devices, often QWERTY, that hook up to Exchange without the cost and complexity of BES.

Nokia is an ideal handset partner in this space and, unlike Apple, MS owns the whole enterprise messaging ecosystem.

Interestingly we know that this is not the case, because Microsoft have told us. For a while now they've been talking about the consumerization of IT and specifically smartphones. Even Redmond is saying that people want nice consumer smartphones that integrate enterprise functionality, rather than clunky enterprise smartphones that they have to carry around in addition to their main phone.

This is why so many shops are rolling out Good.

Microsoft, far from fighting against consumerization is rolling with the trend, so we have to assume that their hope for WP7 is squarely with the consumer market.

There's even a microsoft document on smartphone consumerization
  • Reply 29 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango.,M ango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Ma ngo, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango?

Take it away Ballmer!

Edit: after my previous post I guess I sound just a wee bit hypocritical. But hey I didn't say I was perfect.

• Reply 30 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    This is a non-event. Windows 7 phones will not be challenging Apple. The only platform that has shown it's remotely capable of that is Android.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Come on guys...a little competition is good. I personally own an Android and an iPhone 4. I like them both in their own ways. As a MS developer by day, I think it's great that I could leverage my C# skills to quickly port existing code over to WP7. I'd imagine there's great value in this for the enterprise. I'm not sure where the dev platform is at now for WP7 but when it was demoed to me last fall, it was a POS. It didn't even have any sort of SQL support. I hoped that has changed now. And it was up to the dev to emulate multitasking through a concept called 'tombstoning'. YIKES!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Looking at 'Mango' I'd put Windows Phone ahead of anything else in the "not an iPhone" group.

However one of the WPx problems that is bugging me at the moment is how long Microsoft's development cycle is.

The huge number of improvements included in a 12 month major release cycle make for good news stories, but it's not very friendly to consumers.

It's not a great feeling when you think about buying a brand new 'Mango' phone for Christmas 2011, and then not having the next major release with cool new stuff to play with until Christmas 2012.

Things like Skype integration (messaging, chat, VOIP, video), consolidation of various cloud (Live Mesh/Skydrive) and media (Zune, Xbox Live) properties, deeper integration with Xbox Live (chat/video etc)... these are things we won't see from Microsoft until the end of 2012 if they stick with the 12 month release cycles.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Obvioulsy most people on here prefer iPhones, this is an Apple site after all. But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Personally when I was looking at Android phones the other week, most of them looked a bit rubbish but as most of them were also very cheap I kind of understand why there selling so well.

I think the hardware will be very similar (I think WP7 has three buttons whilst Android phones have four) so if you think the Android phones look a bit rubbish then you'll probably think the same about WP7 phones.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,

Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,

WINDOWS! WINDOWS!

Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,

Argh Apple, Apple oh no it's an Apple!

Take it away Ballmer!

Fixed
  • Reply 35 of 48
    For someone who famously dismissed the iPhone in 2007 for their Windows Mobile OS, Steve Ballmer sure is trying hard to out-iPhone the iPhone
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I though MS / Bill Gates wrote MS-DOS - the Operating System of the first Intel based PCs - that is not the same as BIOS - sure they had to have BIOS and it was the reverse engineering of the BIOS that allowed the PC clone market to erupt all over the technology landscape wreaking the havoc that has reigned through the land since.

Not quite sure about in the beginning - but nowadays I think American Megatrends and Phoenix Software Associates have an awful lot of THAT market tied up.

Bill Gates didn't write MS-DOS. He bought what became MS-DOS, QDOS from Tim Paterson, which was in fact a re-write/update of Gary Killdall's CP/M. Paterson went to work for Microsoft a couple of years later.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    ...reclaiming marketshare lost to Android, second priority is going after RIM and Apple. However, if RIM doesn't restore their leadership in the market, it may only be Apple that Microsoft focusses on. M/soft would like to see fewer of the BES in corporate data center between handhelds and their Exchange servers, so RIM may remain targeted for some time in spite of declining share.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Now, now, everyone. Ballmer's an older and wiser man than he was during the Monkey Boy routine.

Emphasis on the older. He has to watch what he eats now, so he'll have a much classier performance to put on. Something like this:

• Reply 39 of 48
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I think the UI design of Windows Phone 7 is a dead end.

Talking from a visceral level, WP7 is visually asymmetric (and specifically along the vertical axis), and we do not like asymmetry. There's just something inherently ugly about how the phone UI is laid out. The information design of the WP7 is information scarce. The home screen has something like 8 tiles, with many of them of mono-color with basically a number indicating the number of new things for the service associated with the tile.

The animation performance of WP7 appears very good, iOS good, so the guts of it appear well designed. But I think the UI design is uninspiring and makes it hard to advertise the product well.

So, I don't think consumers will voluntarily flock to WP7. There maybe a lot of handsets out there through the machinations of carriers and the OEMs, but I don't it will ever take off until MS redesigns the UI.

So, easy call. iPhone 5 w/iOS 5 will utterly destroy WP7-Mango handsets.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I think the hardware will be very similar (I think WP7 has three buttons whilst Android phones have four) so if you think the Android phones look a bit rubbish then you'll probably think the same about WP7 phones.

It wasn't so much the hardware with android phones (at the high end at least, lot's a low res screen on cheap phones that MS don't allow with WP7) that was an issue but the actual graphics on the screen. People are claiming Samsung have copied the iPhone but the real problem is that they haven't. The icons and layout actually look like every Samsung phone for the last 8 years but the phones are now just touch screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I think the UI design of Windows Phone 7 is a dead end.

Talking from a visceral level, WP7 is visually asymmetric (and specifically along the vertical axis), and we do not like asymmetry. There's just something inherently ugly about how the phone UI is laid out. The information design of the WP7 is information scarce. The home screen has something like 8 tiles, with many of them of mono-color with basically a number indicating the number of new things for the service associated with the tile.

The animation performance of WP7 appears very good, iOS good, so the guts of it appear well designed. But I think the UI design is uninspiring and makes it hard to advertise the product well.

So, I don't think consumers will voluntarily flock to WP7. There maybe a lot of handsets out there through the machinations of carriers and the OEMs, but I don't it will ever take off until MS redesigns the UI.

So, easy call. iPhone 5 w/iOS 5 will utterly destroy WP7-Mango handsets.

Everyone different when it comes to WP7s UI, but when you say the tiles are all the same colour that really depends on what apps you have installed as the tiles are apps or shortcuts to part of apps. Mine currently has 10 different colours (unless you count the ones that are pictures and then its millions).