Sprint posts massive subscriber exodus in failing to compete with iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Butttttt!!!!. They sold my friend a service that didn't exist in the area he lived in!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Sprint not being reliable? Every carrier had dead spots and horrible service somewhere in the US. Go out to Walland, TN with your awesome iPhone and get no signal with Verizon or ATT. My Sprint HTC Arrive I not only can make calls but get on the web -- NO ROAMING. And Walland, TN is in the middle of no where. Google "BlackBerry Farm" and you can see some good pictures. However, I know somewhere in the US Sprint has no signal and Verizon or ATT do. That is normal. I can tell you I have trouble getting good signal in brick buildings (well, I did with my dumb phone Samsung Upstage in 2007/2008). And my ATT and Verizon friends, no problem. However I am still a happy Sprint customer because Sprint is mostly reliable in my city I now live, and even in my apartment -- which is all brick too, just like my old dorm room -- and I get great signal. So it's just a matter of where you are. http://www.pcworld.com/article/16739...ife_of_3g.html <-- And PCMag.com backs me up by saying Sprint has an up time of 90% while Verizon 89% and ATT 69%. Sprint is the slowest, but then again I would rather have signal and wait an extra ten seconds then not to have service at all.

Sprint doesn't really have a problem with texting, in general. However, there was an outage recently where texts would come sporadically from other carriers. However, a quick Google search finds ATT has similar issues (http://forums.att.com/t5/HTC/Texting...s/td-p/1445490) and another Google search finds multiple people complaining of texting issues with Verizon. It happens, the only difference is it has taken a while for Sprint to fix the issue -- because it was not every device, only some. I never had that problem people reported.

• Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Butttttt!!!!. They sold my friend a service that didn't exist in the area he lived in!!!

Unfortunately that's not a problem exclusive to Sprint. I know people who said similar things about ATT and I am Sure Verizon has done that, too. Salsmen over the phone only know what their computer tells them, and coverage maps can be deceiving.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    What happened with 4G WiMax? I still don't understand the problem.

What's happening with WiMax in the US? Being abandoned for LTE? Why exactly?

iPhone can't be the only reason Sprint is seeing a "massive subscriber exodus".
  • Reply 44 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LTE's better in every conceivable way, so if they weren't going to go bankrupt, they would have moved from Wi-MAX to that.

Quote:

Oh, uh, already answered that, I think. Besides, the rest of the planet chose LTE. Sprint had no hope for Wi-MAX from day one.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You do understand people can tell you a story like that about every carrier, but that doesn't mean its the norm.

[Horrible story about AT&T]

Now you might wonder why I spend so much effort dealing with this horrible company. Well, in my area I have two choices for high speed Internet. Comcast for cable, and AT&T for DSL. I changed to AT&T because I had a dispute with Comcast where it promised to send somebody out to fix my Internet, but the person would never show. This happened three times in a row. Further, I couldn't get Comcast to bury its cables it had wrapped around my trees. I was so upset at Comcast, I had it remove the cable from my property.

I am sure my experience isn't representative of the company as a whole, but that is my point.

Actually I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion. In fact they're all bloody awful, and not just american firms - internationally they're all bloody awful.

I had terrible experiences with British Telecom, and my current provider routinely drops my net and sometimes my phone connection for half an hour at a time. My theory is that almost everybody has a horror story but we all assume it's 'just us'
  • Reply 46 of 59
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPhone can't be the only reason Sprint is seeing a "massive subscriber exodus".

There are two competing 4G technologies: WiMax and LTE. It's up to the individual carriers to decide which one they will use.

Basically, WiMax is dead. The rest of the world is moving to LTE.

WiMax is the Betamax of cellular technology. LTE, like VHS, will be the winner.

American cellular customers are fickle and it looks like AT&T and Verizon's offerings (iPhone and others) are more attractive to consumers.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LTE's better in every conceivable way, so if they weren't going to go bankrupt, they would have moved from Wi-MAX to that.

Oh, uh, already answered that, I think. Besides, the rest of the planet chose LTE. Sprint had no hope for Wi-MAX from day one.

Actually NO. Lte is better in almost no ways... Its just that lte is the more widely accepted standard.

Besides that... they are pretty even.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

Actually NO. Lte is better in almost no ways... Its just that lte is the more widely accepted standard.

Besides that... they are pretty even.

Except that LTE has a roadmap for eventual expansion to 600 Mb/s, is lower-power, and can be transmitted farther, I believe.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    It can be transmitted farther because of the spectrum used. Thats the only reason wimax is failing when indoors. The power us looked to be the same in the article i read.

No clue about the road maps though.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

It can be transmitted farther because of the spectrum used. Thats the only reason wimax is failing when indoors. The power us looked to be the same in the article i read.

No clue about the road maps though.

Okay, forget Wi-MAX.

Forget LTE.

SUPER WI-FI. 802.22.

60 mile range. That's all most people need, really. No iCloud needed, either; just sync from home WHEREVER you are!
  • Reply 51 of 59
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Except that LTE has a roadmap for eventual expansion to 600 Mb/s, is lower-power, and can be transmitted farther, I believe.

I suppose you don't know that Wi-Max and LTE are 85% the same technology. Both are working toward the 1Gb/s threshold.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

I suppose you don't know that Wi-Max and LTE are 85% the same technology. Both are working toward the 1Gb/s threshold.

Well, only one of them is going to get there, so...
  • Reply 53 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

Only one of them is 100% LTE.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    So all ATT and Verizon have to do, is continue to expand their 4G services, and all apple has to do is release a 4G capable iPhone, and Sprint is screwed yet again.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

60 mile range. That's all most people need, really. No iCloud needed, either; just sync from home WHEREVER you are!

I think that's only suitable for rural areas.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I think that's only suitable for rural areas.

Which that? iCloud or a 60 mile radius?
  • Reply 57 of 59
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:

It has NOTHING to do with not having the iPhone. Nice try, though.

There may be other factors, but it's baseless to say that's it's got NOTHING to do with not having the iPhone. I, for instance, am very eager to see if the iPhone becomes available for Sprint before my contract is up in October. I've been with Sprint since 1998, but if they don't get the iPhone new when it's time to throw my BB into a stinking pile of crap (i.e., a pile of other BBs) then I'm switching carriers. I don't want a DumbBerry, I don't want an EVO wannabe; I want an iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

There may be other factors, but it's baseless to say that's it's got NOTHING to do with not having the iPhone. I, for instance, am very eager to see if the iPhone becomes available for Sprint before my contract is up in October. I've been with Sprint since 1998, but if they don't get the iPhone new when it's time to throw my BB into a stinking pile of crap (i.e., a pile of other BBs) then I'm switching carriers. I don't want a DumbBerry, I don't want an EVO wannabe; I want an iPhone.

What good would it do if the company's bankrupt before your contract is up?
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:

Which that? iCloud or a 60 mile radius?

The wireless WAN system.