Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

c'mon nobody got the pun?

not many musicians on this board.

It is a nice pun.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How hard would you have to tap to make 26 positions sound different? But it should be ok as an addition/ambiguity resolver for a traditional touchscreen.

Personally I think we speak with our tongues, so the most natural keyboard would be some kind of thing where you touch different teeth with the tip of your tongue to make letters. Or, maybe we can subvocalise faster than we can talk, so some sort of bow tie keyboard.

I worked on a keyboard encoder for Smith Corona back in the early 80s that used a similar principle but limited to the technologies of the time. Below is the Patent Abstract.
    A simplified, symmetrical encoding apparatus of the acoustic rod type with polarized output signals, e.g., where key-actuated strikers impact an acoustic bar having a number of differently-shaped tabs on the bar, the impact giving rise to divergent acoustic waves sensed by a transducer at each end of the bar. Providing paired sets of a non-polarizing tab and oppositely-oriented raked (polarizing) tabs in mirror image form at desired locations on right and left halves of the bar, preferably with a first tab located at the bar's midpoint, facilitates distinguishing between impacts on the different tabs.

Don't know if this patent is still active since it's 30 years old but it could be the source for another patent infringement lawsuit
  • Reply 23 of 40
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

not many musicians on this board.

It is a nice pun.

Maybe some music glue will help.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I worked on a keyboard encoder for Smith Corona back in the early 80s that used a similar principle but limited to the technologies of the time. Below is the Patent Abstract.
    A simplified, symmetrical encoding apparatus of the acoustic rod type with polarized output signals, e.g., where key-actuated strikers impact an acoustic bar having a number of differently-shaped tabs on the bar, the impact giving rise to divergent acoustic waves sensed by a transducer at each end of the bar. Providing paired sets of a non-polarizing tab and oppositely-oriented raked (polarizing) tabs in mirror image form at desired locations on right and left halves of the bar, preferably with a first tab located at the bar's midpoint, facilitates distinguishing between impacts on the different tabs.

Don't know if this patent is still active since it's 30 years old but it could be the source for another patent infringement lawsuit

They both use sound but the patent blurb you quoted seems very specific putting it out of the scope of Apple's patent.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

it's hard to laugh at such a minor pun...

I didn't even C it
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I don't like flat keys, they're not natural.

. This is about innovation, Apple way to leave competitors far behind.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Personally, I'm old-school, I guess. I would miss the keyboard if it was replaced with this fancy, new-fangled, haptic tech.

If you were truly old-school, you'd be clamoring for a quill, inkwell and parchment.

Quote:

Then again, mice (mouses??), touch pads and multi-touch were new at some point as well. And those big, clunky Olivetti typewriters are part of ancient history now.

Point being, if/when "traditional" keyboards are phased out and replaced with haptic keyboards or whatever, we, and the generations that follow us will adapt or get left behind.

Exactly. If you think about the things we do today (and not just with high-tech stuff) most of it is "fancy" and "new-fangled." We adapt when it makes sense and the benefits outweigh the cost of change.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

If you were truly old-school, you'd be clamoring for a quill, inkwell and parchment.

Nah, If you were truly old-school, you'd be chiseling hieroglyphics on sandstone.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nah, If you were truly old-school, you'd be chiseling hieroglyphics on sandstone.

Touché!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Does pen/paper count? I still do a lot of writing/note-taking that way. Then later, I compile my notes on my computer.

Quote:

Exactly. If you think about the things we do today (and not just with high-tech stuff) most of it is "fancy" and "new-fangled." We adapt when it makes sense and the benefits outweigh the cost of change.

Or, we adapt when Uncle Steve uses his Jedi Mind Tricks on us and tells us to (you do not need floppy drives... Netbooks are crap...)

ZING!! .
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Or, we adapt when Uncle Steve uses his Jedi Mind Tricks on us and tells us to (you do not need floppy drives... Netbooks are crap...)

ZING!! .

Whatever it takes.

Seriously though, think about all of the things we use and do today that would have seemed insane a generation ago.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Seriously though, think about all of the things we use and do today that would have seemed insane a generation ago.

Or vice versa.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Or vice versa.

Good point.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

it's hard to laugh at such a minor pun...

Any humor is purely accidental.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    As some have stated, and I hope to clarify - The idea its not about generating a unique sound when striking a key and then using the differences in each sound to resolve a 'key press'. This idea is about using three receivers to triangulate exactly where the sound originates to resolve the key press. Just as GPS uses the minute differences in time code from three separate signals to triangulate a coordinate, this system uses the distances from the source to triangulate the key position and map it back to the keyboard configuration.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

It was pretty obscure. I have a Masters in Music and I didn't pick up on it at all.

Now I feel diminished
  • Reply 37 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

... [several other good points]... Point being, if/when "traditional" keyboards are phased out and replaced with haptic keyboards or whatever, we, and the generations that follow us will adapt or get left behind.

Perfectly stated. I was thinking "ye olde school mechanical-keyboard-typers will need to die off before technology can move beyond us."

Another thing to consider is that Apple is heavily promoting multi-touch across all their product lines. Even Macs, with the Magic Trackpad. Apple has done "Back to the Mac" with iOS features. Now they're doing "Back to the Desktop" with MacBook trackpads and gestures. Especially in Lion.

But trackpads, either on MacBooks or as Mac accessories, are still only an interim step. No, I don't think Apple will ever ship a full touchscreen MacBook or Mac. "Gorilla Arm" would be the result. It's a very well-known and unsolvable problem in touchscreen interface design (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_arm#Gorilla_arm).

When you think about it, using a trackpad is just as inconvenient, from a time and motion standpoint, as using a mouse. You type away, then move one of your hands several inches to grab the mouse. Then you slide the mouse around to move the on-screen cursor, then you click and/or drag, then you release the mouse and move your hand back over the keyboard, then you re-position your hand to the correct typing position, then you continue typing. All of that takes time. If you do it hundreds of times a day, that time adds up.

The solution? Build a keyboard that can also be used as a trackpad. Instead of moving your mousing hand all the way off the keyboard etc. you can just do your multi-touch gestures right on the keyboard itself. This requires either a totally flat surface for pixel-perfect cursor positioning, or some way of precisely detecting finger positions even with physical keys in the way. Sure, it's far harder to type on something without haptic feedback. But Apple has the solution: auto-correct. And it could be extended into detecting how big any user's hands are, and compensating for missed keys etc.

The result? Instant switching between old-fashioned typing and new-fangled multi-touching and mousing. And, as multi-touch gestures evolve, two-handed gestures could be developed. Gestures that can't be done on a small trackpad. (E.g. "sleep" could be a 10-finger gesture: pinch all 5 fingers of each hand together.)

The first typewriter was invented in 1870, the keyboard was designed to slow down typing to reduce jamming of the mechanicals, and precious little has changed in keyboards since then. It will be pretty hard to make the next big step beyond the comfortable if awkward status quo. And by then, maybe voice commands will be how we control computers anyway. No need to learn how to touch type or to hunt-and-peck. (But that's a different post...)
  • Reply 38 of 40
    I remember my Razr, yes the cell phone, had this flat metalic look to it. although you could press the buttons in a bit, i liked the look and feel, of the metal and how the little bumps let your fingers know they were in the right position. Not to mention that when it lights up it looks cool.

If apple did a flat keyboard like that, i would not mind it, with an OLED display, SUPER THIN MACBOOK PRO!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    If it's anything like the on-screen keyboard on the iPad, it's going to slow down your typing speed by half. Not practical.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Perfectly stated. I was thinking "ye olde school mechanical-keyboard-typers will need to die off before technology can move beyond us."

Another thing to consider is that Apple is heavily promoting multi-touch across all their product lines. Even Macs, with the Magic Trackpad. Apple has done "Back to the Mac" with iOS features. Now they're doing "Back to the Desktop" with MacBook trackpads and gestures. Especially in Lion....

Yes, all well considered points & well appreciated. I would like to take it a step further and say that Apple is positioning around the END of the fixed keyboard entirely. Just like iOS, the surface of the device becomes a fully flexible input layer that maps real-time to each specific input need for the task at hand.

Take that philosophy to the desktop computing experience and our "keyboard" goes away and is replaced with a 'task specific surface' that seamlessly combines the best aspects of type, touch and gesture to interface with the computer.

One surface - all forms of input. It kind of boggles my mind with the possibilities.