Google purchases IBM inventions as patent arms race looms

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Google voice, search as you type, Google docs, Google books, youtube, gmail, chrome, and chrome os. Remember that innovate does not mean invent it means to improve on, and yes Google innovates a lot they are one of the most innovative technology companies in the world.

What is so damn innovative about gmail or chrome other than they are paid for by the advertisers? That right there shoots your credibility. Goggle books is theft, so I guess the innovation there is that they get away with it. The only thing unique about search is the scale of what they do.

Beyond that I totally reject your assertion that being innovative is simply a matter of refactoring somebodies else's work. Innovation is invention.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Sure, Google is no Apple, it's never brought complete disruption to a consumer market the way Apple has. But Apple is also no Google, they've never brought the same levels of disruption to server side or datacenter that Google have.

As to Goggle and data centers. I have to disagree, they have done little to disrupt traditional data centers. Likewise Apple has never been successful in data centers.

Quote:

Google is, from a comp-sci perspective, the most interesting firm today. They're pushing concurrency and distributed computing to a level that nobody else is even close to. Maybe as a consumer you don't see that, maybe as a consumer you don't care, but it's still true.

Frankly this is garbage, goggle is only of interest if you are web focused. Beyond that I'm not sure why Apple doesn't get any respect in the community for the open source they support. Things like cups that they more or less adopted, or lib dispatch that they innovated with. Then there is the stewardship of OpenCL, LLVM, CLANG and other tools.

I just don't see balance or even rational thought in this discussion. It isn't that Googgle doesn't invent it is just that they don't do it on a scale that many seem to think is the case. As others have pointed out much of what we see as the face of Googgle was simply purchased from another firm.

Quote:

Google is following in the footsteps of firms like Thinking Machines, who you probably also never heard of. Apple is following in the footsteps of Sony.

That statement has no basis what so ever. If Googgle was all that great of a technology company Android wouldn't suck the way it does. For that matter Android wouldn't be a Java app. My god man look at the tech in iOS, that should be convincing enough that Apple has some viable comp-sci chops.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If Googgle was all that great of a technology company Android wouldn't suck the way it does.

Curious what features of Android "suck" in your opinion? Honest question.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 95
    deleted
  • Reply 46 of 95
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 95
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree but don't forget their 'How to place mole on a leading tech company's board of directors so as to be able to enter all the fields they are in'. That was pretty innovative

Don't worry about that one. There is prior art by the Greeks in Troy a few millennia ago.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    How do patents kill innovation? an engineer would simply figure out another way to make the same thing work.

If they want to be lazy and use the same technology they should pay to use the rights, in another report with google and oracle. Google, directly ignored getting rights to use java, now they being sued for something they had acknowledged but decided to do nothing about. Major corporations have to know what they are getting themselves into when some of these issues arise.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:

Sure, Google is no Apple, it's never brought complete disruption to a consumer market the way Apple has. But Apple is also no Google, they've never brought the same levels of disruption to server side or datacenter that Google have.

Google is, from a comp-sci perspective, the most interesting firm today. They're pushing concurrency and distributed computing to a level that nobody else is even close to. Maybe as a consumer you don't see that, maybe as a consumer you don't care, but it's still true.

Google is following in the footsteps of firms like Thinking Machines, who you probably also never heard of. Apple is following in the footsteps of Sony.

Again most of the "disrupting" technology they purchased either by acquisition or by product buyout to drive what their core needs are. This is not innovation, as the results are directed away from purely developing the process or concept for the purposes of the process or concept and bending it instead to serve their own needs. They grabbed the technology to serve their needs from a data center perspective AND to hamper competitve efforts in their information management space. That is categorically NOT disruption - you can argue that it is innovative perhaps and incrementing along an evolutionary path, but no, nothing there is as you claim, either in server or data center technologies, disruptive. Unless you are an industry insider there is no way you would know what is being done in other data centers. You only know what Google has chosen to reveal. Beyond that, there could be revolutions taking place in a multitude of data center into which you have no view because they do not publish to the public the proprietary processes and advances.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    [redacted] I'm not going to give credence by responding to this commentary.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

This is really well put, even if I disagree on some points. Search, IMO, is a consumer market. Google sure disrupted it. I agree wholeheartedly that Google is a fascinating company from a comp-sci perspective, but I think the fascinated audience spans beyond comp sci. Clearly, most consumers don't care but we are benefiting.

I agree Apple is following the footsteps of Sony (the pre-Stringer Sony, I'd say). Even Jobs himself has admitted as much. But Google and Thinking Machines? The analogy reminds me of a French documentary (Google, la machine a penser) and is not one I really see.

Despite my "semantic" disagreement, I think your points are really well put and really put some of the "wizardry" here to shame.

As for "innovation is invention" - NO. The difference is perhaps subtle but really important. Those who don't get it are undermining themselves by continuing their stream of invectives.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Again most of the "disrupting" technology they purchased either by acquisition or by product buyout to drive what their core needs are.

Goodness, no. Oh no. I really recommend you do some homework. True, acquisitions have played a big part in their business. But then, that's also a page shared with Apple's playbook. After all, what is the iPhone without Fingerworks?
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Ironically, the Internet was invented by a bunch of hippies

Ironically, not really. Not at all.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Beyond that I totally reject your assertion that being innovative is simply a matter of refactoring somebodies else's work.

That just might be the strongest anti-Apple sentiment ever expressed here. You Android troll you!
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:

Google is following in the footsteps of firms like Thinking Machines, who you probably also never heard of.

I'd like to come back to this. Although, as mentioned, I disagree with the analogy, I am fascinated by it. Can you explain a bit your rationale behind it?
  • Reply 56 of 95
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That just might be the strongest anti-Apple sentiment ever expressed here. You Android troll you!

Did you decide to take the day off from work? Maybe you retired. Maybe you never worked... whatever... fuck, man, give it a rest...
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Did you decide to take the day off from work? Maybe you retired. Maybe you never worked... whatever... fuck, man, give it a rest...

Say what?
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:

Goodness, no. Oh no. I really recommend you do some homework. True, acquisitions have played a big part in their business. But then, that's also a page shared with Apple's playbook. After all, what is the iPhone without Fingerworks?

I am embedded in the industry - I have been in more than a few data centers, directed development of data center-based technologies and work directly with many of the companies supplying data center technologies to all of the big players across a swath of industries.

No. Google is not innovating in the data center. Much as you would like to believe that. Sorry, they're not. They are doing some interesting things, yes. But nothing to date is worthy of innovative. I could care less whether Apple acquired anyone or not - the point is the ridiculous adulation of Google for things that are simply driving their search and ad business. I live eat and breath what you so laughingly call "homework" sonny. We're done here. You go back on the ignore shelf. At least you never fail to disappoint - there is something to be said for consistency.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I'd like to come back to this. Although, as mentioned, I disagree with the analogy, I am fascinated by it. Can you explain a bit your rationale behind it?

I mean the actual corporation Thinking Machines who were a remarkable oddity for their time. They were started by a Theoretical Physicist, one of Feynman's grad students - indeed Feynman himself apparently did some work for them and is credited with patents in the area.

Before them, supercomputers were massively vectorized but had relatively few CPUS, but they completely turned the industry on its head and of course now the norm is massive arrays of vector processors. They took multi-processor from 8 or 16 to 64,000 in a single jump.

What I'm reaching to here is that Google are in many ways really an applied mathematics company, and their core competency is that they've taken multi-processor computing up orders of magnitude, the way that TM did with the CM.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Unless you are an industry insider there is no way you would know what is being done in other data centers. You only know what Google has chosen to reveal. Beyond that, there could be revolutions taking place in a multitude of data center into which you have no view because they do not publish to the public the proprietary processes and advances.

Let me get this clear, even though Google has unveiled things like MapReduce and Go, and described GFS, BigTable, etc - that doesn't mean that they're innovative in datacentre software because one of the two or three other players might have even more amazing stuff that they simply haven't told anybody about?

Is that your argument or am I mischaracterizing it?