Amy Winehouse is ~Dead~ How? Why?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Just heard it from my work colleagues. I suspect OD. More info anyone? Researching now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Amy Winehouse's Back To Black re-enters the album charts after her tragic death

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml
  • Reply 2 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think we'll have to wait for the autopsy.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just heard it from my work colleagues. I suspect OD. More info anyone? Researching now.

They will do a postmortem examination today to see what caused her to die. She was heavy into drugs and booze.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    She wasn't that talented. She died from a drug overdose. It's sad how she is being compared to truly talented people who died to young but were apparently equal in their stupidity.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

She wasn't that talented. She died from a drug overdose. It's sad how she is being compared to truly talented people who died to young but were apparently equal in their stupidity.

I recently read the analysis on Kurt Cobain and his suicide note. In his case it wasn't outright recklessness or stupidity but a distinct underlying mental illness (guilt, overwhelming feelings, stress to perform and give his best while feeling he can't, etc.). All the drugs and booze didn't help of course.

The initial autopsy on Amy Winehouse turned out inconclusive. So we'll still have to wait.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Honestly...

She probably should have gone to rehab, but she said, "No, no, no."
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Wow. Nobody else here cares? Poor Amy.

Her family thinks she died from, get this, *quitting* alcohol cold turkey:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/am...-thinks-52989/
  • Reply 8 of 16
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    I feel for her family and loved ones. As a parent, one of the worst things imaginable is your child dying before you do.

I am not a fan and don't have any of her music, although I did think she had a good voice.

Addiction is a terrible burden - and some people are more prone than others. Apparently she had given up the illegal drugs some time ago, but as is so common in these cases it was probably the legal intoxicant alcohol that killed her.

If you are drinking 2 bottles of vodka a day it is best you cut down gradually before stopping, otherwise the body/nervous system can go into shock.

There are many prescription pain-killers (and even some anti-depressants) that you must not just stop taking or it can kill you. You have to agree a reduction regime with your doctor. This is well documented.

Amy Winehouse RIP
  • Reply 9 of 16
    This is nothing to be joked about. She had a tragic addiction.

Next time, people should just learn to say "no" to black eye liner.

All joking aside, I do feel vary bad for her family, and for the great loss of musical talent. I don't agree that she wasn't talented. She just couldn't quite get her act together, and it's so sad that it had to end before we could see what she could have done without this terrible monkey on her back.

My dad was a heavy alcoholic during my teenage years, and we're lucky to have gotten him back. He's been clean for twenty five years now.

And this post is for Marvfox: If she had been a user of LSD instead of alcohol, she almost certainly would still be alive today.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    The music industry does NOT help (!!) when it comes to substance abuse. Artists, especially the younger naive ones under record label contract (usually indentured servitude) who don't know the industry, are encouraged to go out, party out, and be seen by the press.... to become fodder for the ever present tabloid media. The type of antics associated with drug/alcohol abuse have for decades provided gossip and publicity material..and as anyone in the entertainment industry knows, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Anyway, the punters take notice when what *they see* as "rebellious" behavior happens.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

The music industry does NOT help (!!) when it comes to substance abuse. Artists, especially the younger naive ones under record label contract (usually indentured servitude) who don't know the industry, are encouraged to go out, party out, and be seen by the press.... to become fodder for the ever present tabloid media. The type of antics associated with drug/alcohol abuse have for decades provided gossip and publicity material..and as anyone in the entertainment industry knows, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Anyway, the punters take notice when what *they see* as "rebellious" behavior happens.

So....you're blaming her death on....the music industry? \

I disagree it's the industry, the labels, etc. I think you may have watched Get Him to the Greek a few too many times. I think it's more about not being able to handle fame in general and the old saying: Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I disagree it's the industry, the labels, etc. I think you may have watched Get Him to the Greek a few too many times. I think it's more about not being able to handle fame in general and the old saying: Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll.

I'm not directly blaming her death on the industry pre se. *BUT* the record biz is well known for turning a blind eye to substance abuse amongst signed acts. It seems very strange, that in these days of obsessive drug testing, the entertainment industry remains mutely accepting of the issue. In the end, of course, it was Amy who was responsible for her own fate, but she undoubtedly was amongst company that did not act in *her* interest, either via ignorance or a "don't give a shit" attitude.

Considering that entertainers of all varieties (actors, musicians, comedians etc) are those who garner the greatest public visibility, even more so than (most) politicians, especially influential amongst the relatively impressionable youth, it seems odd that their tacit, yet often highly visible endorsement, via the media, of addictive, toxic and dangerous substances is a non-issue, especially when there is supposedly a "war on drugs" going on. For other highly visible stars, such as top athletes, drugs are, for the public, a no-no.

Even though I support neither the "war on drugs" nor employee testing (with obvious exceptions, such as those who drive/fly professionally), the drug-fest that is embedded within the entertainment industry is one of the biggest factors that keeps the false "coolness"/"rebellious"/"lets party"/"good times" etc. etc. image of drugs alive in the minds of kids. One could argue that here might be a principle factor in keeping the demand for intoxicants sky-high... as well as peer pressure. Education re. the effects of drugs (especially narcotics) is almost non existent...

It seems strange that record execs don't fire artists who keep getting strung-out and fvcked up, knowing that there are *thousands* of incredibly talented kids out there who would give their proverbial left arm to sing/play/act professionally, without all the chemical baggage. Also, it is well known that intoxication does NOT enhance either performance or creativity... quite the converse. To quote from a well-known musician's blog:

Quote:

Playing under the influence actually makes it harder. Friends don’t let friends drink and jam. Not to be prudish (I dare you to keep up with me after my set is finished), but if you’ve spent a lot of time honing your skills, there’s just no way you’re going to perform as well if you're 'rat-faced' as you would straight. If you have any doubt, record yourself the next time you have one of those chemically induced moments of brilliance at 2:00 a.m., and see how it sounds after coffee clears the cobwebs in the morning.

George Martin, producer of the Beatles, had words in this article about the industry and intoxicants.

And, never a truer word was spoken in jest.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

I have a few DJ friends and recently they managed to get some commercial releases and will be remixed by some "Top-100" DJs (trance/house/etc DJ Mag list).

They claim to be Christians (please don't hijack this thread, I'm mentioning it for completeness)... But previously have done some drugs and what not. Even though they've been relatively clean and don't drink alcohol in general, their lifestyle involved sleeping pills and possible abuse of that. Working a day job, spinning gigs and spending loads of time in their home studio producing tracks, plus all the online marketing, chatting and trying to connect with other DJs and labels.

Bottom line? They're a husband-and-wife team that divorced a few months ago and in the meantime still kinda working together.

The music industry is tough, there is plenty of blame to go around. But the artist is also responsible because of the choices they have made or are making. However in some cases it is complicated because there are underlying mental health or addiction-prone traits which kinda go with "being and artist(e)". This is where people around Amy Winehouse might have failed.

Partying can be fun, alcohol and recreational drugs can be fun, or insightful, and can accelerate various mental/ spiritual/ physical processes. The "problem" is individuals having very different reactions to various kinds of substances, underlying propensity for addiction or mental illness, as well as a very vague sliding scale of acceptable "levels of intake". I've partied with people where they can go all night on various things, and the next morning hit up some meth or I don't know what. And they seemed to be able to live "normal"-enough lives.

It's sometimes unfair. Look at Charlie Sheen and Tom Cruise. Clearly in their own ways batshit-crazy... But still hanging on somehow. Britney was a mess for a while but seems to have come back from the brink.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly...

She probably should have gone to rehab, but she said, "No, no, no."

That is her life drugs and booze and stupidity to die so young.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I missed that one on the theater round. Added to netflix queue Looks like a funny one. Thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

I missed that one on the theater round. Added to netflix queue Looks like a funny one. Thanks!

Get Him To The Greek is pretty darn good. The best part is when (that chubby actor guy) is in the car with Russell Brand, and he keeps saying, "No! No!" to Russell. It's hilarious. I thought Rose Byrne's "Ring Around My Posie" video was brilliant. Outrageous but believable as something you'd actually see in a music video.