Apple opening new LA area retail store 600 feet from existing outlet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thanks to a favorable leasing deal, Apple has decided to open a new retail store in "The Americana at Brand," a retail development just 600 feet from the company's existing Glendale Galleria store.

Tomorrow's grand opening at the new location will create the two closest Apple Stores, but deliver a welcomed relief to the regularly packed Glendale, California store at the Galleria, which was the company's second outpost to open in 2001, according to ifoAppleStore.

There are 19 other Apple Stores in the greater Los Angeles area, including a Pasadena store just 7 miles away from the twin Glendale locations. Los Angeles itself boasts three other stores within about three miles, stretching from Century City to stores in Beverly Center and the Grove.

The new Americana store, which opens tomorrow at 10 am, will be Apple's 239th US store and the 332nd location to open internationally. At 14,000 square feet, the store will be among the company's largest. Most stores range from 3,000 to 6,000 square feet, with the largest being 20,000.

Apple has consistently planned to open stores where it has the most customers and most potential for growth, not simply picking arbitrary locations across the map to cover territory. This has resulted in heavy concentrations of stores in urban areas with significant tourism, with Las Vegas, New York City, Honolulu and San Francisco each having three stores within their boundaries.

The very appearance of an Apple retail store creates traffic and demand that has historically generated a need for addition stores within the same area. Apple is therefore planning a fourth store in Manhattan located within Grand Central Terminal, and has closely located stores in the proximity of Silicon Valley, where Palo Alto and Stanford currently claim the title for closest stores, being located just 3,738 feet apart.

When Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs approached the Cupertino, California city council about building his new vision for a futuristic corporate headquarters there, he rebuffed attempts to cajole his company into opening a retail store within the town as well.

The company's new headquarters would be located less than five miles away from the existing Valley Fair Apple Store in Santa Clara, less than ten miles away from the Los Gatos store to the south, about 11 miles west of the Oakridge store in San Jose, and about 15 miles east of the two stores located in Palo Alto.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    They're building an Apple store 600 feet away from an existing one, and I still have to drive an hour to get to an Apple store from where I am in NJ. \ Hopefully one of those dozens of upcoming new stores will land somewhere in my vicinity.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    It should be noted that while the Glendale Galleria store was the second to open, it is technically Apple's flagship store (and is even numbered internally as store #1). It was only second to open because the Virginia store (Apple Store #2) is on the East coast, thus giving it a 3 hour time zone head start).
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

They're building an Apple store 600 feet away from an existing one, and I still have to drive an hour to get to an Apple store from where I am in NJ. \ Hopefully one of those dozens of upcoming new stores will land somewhere in my vicinity.

I have to walk literally hundreds of yards to the two stores near me

Clearly they need to open another store in London.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
  • Reply 5 of 23
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The very appearance of an Apple retail store creates traffic and demand that has historically generated a need for addition stores within the same area. Apple is therefore planning a fourth store in Manhattan located within Grand Central Terminal, and has closely located stores in the proximity of Silicon Valley, where Palo Alto and Stanford currently claim the title for closest stores, being located just 3,738 feet apart.

It should be noted that the Stanford shop isn't a full Apple Store; they do not carry the full product line. It's a very small space and they won't have much room, so they end up focusing on the iDevices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs approached the Cupertino, California city council about building his new vision for a futuristic corporate headquarters there, he rebuffed attempts to cajole his company into opening a retail store within the town as well.

That makes sense. Cupertino isn't a destination town. If Apple really wanted to build another store near the headquarters, Santana Row would be the most likely retail area.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I think there are fake Apple Stores in China that are quite close to each other. It may be the flagship fake store.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    citycity Posts: 522member
    These are rival malls across the street from each other. One big and old, the other is new and upscale. The Glendale Galleria Apple store might be the first Apple store to close, either after the holidays or at the end of their Lease.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbowood View Post

It should be noted that while the Glendale Galleria store was the second to open, it is technically Apple's flagship store (and is even numbered internally as store #1). It was only second to open because the Virginia store (Apple Store #2) is on the East coast, thus giving it a 3 hour time zone head start).

Of course the original store was the company store at 1 infinite loop which opened about about 15 years before the others.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dankohndankohn Posts: 1member
    New York currently has 4 Apple stores. Grand Central will be the fifth.

http://www.apple.com/retail/locator/...20York%2C%20NY
  • Reply 10 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's getting close to the end of the world. Great for Alzheimer's patients. This way, they can leave one Apple store, forget where they were, and go to another Apple store straight away.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dankohn View Post

New York currently has 4 Apple stores. Grand Central will be the fifth.

http://www.apple.com/retail/locator/...20York%2C%20NY

Staten Island has a store = http://www.apple.com/retail/statenisland/

So Grand Central Station will be NYC's sixth Apple store. Still no store in Brooklyn though.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?

It's an American thing to be irrational about linear measurement. Among other irrationalities . . .

Still waiting for the metric system,

Flaneur
  • Reply 14 of 23
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    And finally, a store in Berkeley opens in another month! No more trips to Emeryville.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Reminds me of the time that the New Starbucks Opens In Rest Room Of Existing Starbucks

Yea, the guy who worked that starbucks took a lot of pee breaks and didn't wash his hands.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Yards? Wouldn't it be better to say "57 cricket pitches" instead?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's getting close to the end of the world. Great for Alzheimer's patients. This way, they can leave one Apple store, forget where they were, and go to another Apple store straight away.

I'm still waiting for the Apple Hotel... then you'd never have to leave...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

It sounded very Googleish to me...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yards? Wouldn't it be better to say "57 cricket pitches" instead?

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.

Planes fly at 40,000 feet. It's never spoken in yards or miles. Horizontal distance is in feet or blocks or factional miles or miles. "Yard" is used on what we call the "football" field. I prefer the base 8 system myself.