Apple victorious in WIPO dispute over ipods.com domain

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The World Intellectual Property Organization has ordered the domain name ipods.com be transferred to Apple in the favorable resolution of a complaint filed by the iPod maker.

WIPO panelist David Cairns issued the decision on Friday, as noted by Fusible. Apple had submitted a complaint to the organization in May.

Apple's case with the WIPO may indicate that the company is looking to utilize the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) as a cheaper option domain disputes. UDRP allows complainants to request a domain transfer if the name is "identical or confusingly similar" to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; the respondent has "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name" and the domain name has been registered and "is being used in bad faith by the respondent."

According to the report, UDRP complaints can cost just thousands of dollars, compared to outright domain purchases that can cost in the millions. In 2007, Apple reportedly purchased the iPhone.com domain for a seven-figure sum because it viewed the link between the product and the site as virtually necessary to the success of its entry into the smartphone market.

Earlier this year, reports claimed that Apple paid $4.5 million to acquire the iCloud.com domain from a Swedish desktop-as-a-service company.

The ipods.com domain transfer will come even as iPods have slid to a small portion of Apple's revenue. Sales of the device slipped 20 percent year over year to 7.54 million last quarter, with sales of the iPad already having eclipsed the iPod in just over a year.

2011 will mark the tenth anniversary of the now iconic music player that has been credited with sparking Apple's successful transition into the "post-PC era." The iPod is said to have paved the way for the iPhone and iPad, which now produce more than 70 percent of the company's revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    I wonder how much and how long this process took. I'd like to use that for my company on a few domains.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... 2011 will mark the tenth anniversary of the now iconic music player that has been credited with sparking Apple's successful transition into the "post-PC era." ...

I think it likely that this is the year (the ten year anniversary), that the whole iPod lineup is redone or even eliminated as well.

I'd be surprised if the classic survives this year for instance, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the nano was either axed or renamed as something besides an 'iPod' as well. If I was Jobs, I would make an "iPod classic" app that imitated the click-wheel so that the iPod lives on virtually, but basically delete the whole line otherwise, leaving just the touch.

Maybe keep selling the shuffles under an "iPlayer" moniker or something, but otherwise ... move on.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    I know quite a few people that still purchase the nanos (well less so this year because it doesn't work as well with touch screen) just for running. A lot of the runners don't want high dollar ipods / iphones incase they break.

The iPod Touch is finally catching up in space to the classic, but nothing has replaced my Classic yet for car audio. I can easily store my lossless files on there and not worry about storage limits. I'd really hate to see them drop any of them.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Given that iPod popularity is waning quickly, I'm surprised Apple would even care anymore about that domain.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Given that iPod popularity is waning quickly, I'm surprised Apple would even care anymore about that domain.

No, seriously, what's your real comment?

Apple still sells them. Millions of them. They're part of what made Apple what it is today. It's Apple's intellectual property. There's no reason someone should be able to make that domain into a fake Apple site.

Take your pick.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    madgoatmadgoat Posts: 21member
    Why am I getting an ad trying to come from 80.77.113.200 that tracks back to awempire [dot] com which is an adult affiliate site?

Shame on you Apple Insider
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

Why am I getting an ad trying to come from 80.77.113.200 that tracks back to awempire [dot] com which is an adult affiliate site?

Appleinsider site is affiliated with adult sites?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Why am I getting an ad trying to come from 80.77.113.200 that tracks back to awempire [dot] com which is an adult affiliate site?...

So you go to so many adult sites that you know their IP and DNS by heart?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So you go to so many adult sites that you know their IP and DNS by heart?

Sounds more like that's what showed up in his Little Snitch popup when he visited an AppleInsider page.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Take your pick.

Take your pick of what? Your post was a bit of rambling, but this comment especially makes no sense in the context of your post.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

How or why would you even notice this?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Take your pick of what? Your post was a bit of rambling, But this comment especially makes no sense in the context of your post.

Reasons for Apple to want the domain name in the face of your absurd comment about them having 'no need' for it.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Worried people will recognize you in any of those productions?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Because the iPod branding is still very strong.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think it likely that this is the year (the ten year anniversary), that the whole iPod lineup is redone or even eliminated as well.

I'd be surprised if the classic survives this year for instance, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the nano was either axed or renamed as something besides an 'iPod' as well. If I was Jobs, I would make an "iPod classic" app that imitated the click-wheel so that the iPod lives on virtually, but basically delete the whole line otherwise, leaving just the touch.

Maybe keep selling the shuffles under an "iPlayer" moniker or something, but otherwise ... move on.

Apple basically owns the market still sells millions of them and the line is profitable. Why would any company eliminate a still successful and profitable product line?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Apple basically owns the market still sells millions of them and the line is profitable. Why would any company eliminate a still successful and profitable product line?

Is it? What are the numbers on the classic? It has run its course, I believe. Ten years is a great run for a product, and Apple has been moving to touchscreens for the past four years, so we all knew it was coming.

The classic hasn't been updated for two years. That's the most obvious hint that it isn't selling as well as the old days.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I guess iPod Touch is still going strong, so no reason to give away the iPod domain just yet.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Is it? What are the numbers on the classic? It has run its course, I believe. Ten years is a great run for a product, and Apple has been moving to touchscreens for the past four years, so we all knew it was coming.

The classic hasn't been updated for two years. That's the most obvious hint that it isn't selling as well as the old days.

Was basically commenting on the Prof's comment to kill everything but the touch.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    madgoatmadgoat Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Sounds more like that's what showed up in his Little Snitch popup when he visited an AppleInsider page.

That's how I knew... And I like to look up unknown IP addresses.