Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding the ability to re-download TV shows through iTunes [updated].

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:

iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.

Vimeo: Browse and play videos from Vimeo, access your video inbox, and mark videos you want to watch later.

Update: In addition, users can also re-download TV shows via Apple's iCloud service through the iTunes desktop software, or iTunes on iOS devices. A new "TV Shows" section shows up as a tab in the "Purchased" section of the iTunes Store.

Released in 2010, the new Apple TV represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

Apple's latest update would seem to circumvent those issues, allowing users to watch shows they already own and buy new content. It's also a departure from the rental-only approach first attempted with the new Apple TV.

However, even with the changes, major U.S. broadcast networks CBS and NBC are not listed under the "TV Networks" section of the Apple TV. Fox and ABC remain the only two of the "big four" that are listed on the device.

The last Apple TV update was issued in May, with version 4.2.2 offering a handful of minor fixes. it addressed issues with audio and video playback, including a setting allowing users to switch to 16-bit audio for compatibility with some TVs and AV receivers.

Last week, AppleInsider revealed that Apple has been selling a half million units of its set-top-box since the device launched late last year. Though sales of the Apple TV are much higher than other similar devices, Apple has famously referred to the relatively niche product as a "hobby," as it doesn't command nearly the kind of sales or attention as a product like the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    TV shows down, now we just movies to complete the set that will give user peace of mind for online content purchases.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Can anybody confirm if this is US only? I'm assuming it is.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Great... all we need now is Hulu (same as 6 months ago).
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Great... all we need now is Hulu (same as 6 months ago).

Not just Hulu, but Hulu plus.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather
  • Reply 6 of 73
    etsleeetslee Posts: 18member
    So you can purchase shows, but they won't be on Apple TV itself right? I hope it can go to the upcoming cloud since HD shows take up alot of memory. Every HD show I have purchased also forces you to download the SD version as well.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Sweet.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Great, but what about untethered jailbreaking on this update?!
  • Reply 9 of 73
    dbbcdbbc Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Can anybody confirm if this is US only? I'm assuming it is.

It works in Canada, too; I just installed and tested it.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I purchased a butt-load of movies, stream purchased movies.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    What I want to know is when they are going to add support for viewing and adding comments to YouTube. One of the main reasons I go to YouTube is so that I can read what other people have thought about a video. Sometimes I go to a YouTube video's page just so that I can read the comments.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

Yep...ESPN3 would be great, also.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...
  • Reply 15 of 73
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...

Content is king. Everything else is just a distribution pipe.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.

And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding support for the website Vimeo.

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:

iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...
  • Reply 18 of 73
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.

And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.

Big thing for me here is that this indicates that iCloud is getting extended to video sooner rather than later, which means I can stop worrying about the 2 terabytes of TV and movies I bought off Apple dying to a RAID-5 disaster. Better yet I can go and buy another 2 terabytes soon without having to worry about buying yet more storage.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

TV shows down, now we just movies to complete the set that will give user peace of mind for online content purchases.

Movies and a way to watch the extras on both tv and device which would make them more like digital DVDs

As for the hobby comment, I don't buy that the term is a sign that Apple cares little for this device. I think it is more a reflection that it isn't going to be this huge all powerful thing that really works independent of the computer etc for a while. By calling it a hobby, folks don't over expect and thus complain less.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...

Ease of use. You don't have to set up all the home sharing. And potentially one could leave your home network, say on a trip and so long as the Apple TV is signed to your Apple ID you can access you purchases, in effect the very streaming folks have been asking for, just not with a flat monthly rate. If this proves profitable, that step on bulk rentals on a monthly fee akin to Netflix could happeninthe near rather than far future
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

Not just Hulu, but Hulu plus.

Actually what we need is for Apple to buy Hulu and make it work. What a cumbersome nightmare - Why am I prompted to "share with friends on Facebook" every fricking time I visit Hulu (hint to Hulu: I will *never* want to share what I'm watching). Why do they think the default view should be to mix episodes up with clips and trailers and all sorts of crap? Do people really watch all of those, as often or more often than actual episodes?

And of course the biggest nightmare - why do I have to buy an app for my iPad (which apparently gives me *less* content than the Hulu website itself), instead of being able to watch via Safari? I can hook up my Windows laptop to my TV and watch directly from the Hulu site; there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same thing via my iPad. The whole notion that different devices have different web access is faulty.