Apple posts new iCloud login page as a revamped MobileMe, iWork.com

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has posted a not yet fully functional login page for its new iCloud service, representing a revamped version of its existing Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Find My iPhone MobileMe apps as well as newly integrating the document sharing features of iWork.com.

The new iCloud login page, which appears as an Apple Store-like name tag on a lanyard, enables some users to log into functional apps. Other users are presented with an iOS-style popup asking them to migrate their data from MobileMe to iCloud, a feature which isn't yet working.

Hope for mobile users

The iCloud login page is also available from mobile devices (below), suggesting that Apple will finally make its web-based apps accessible from iOS devices. MobileMe web apps are currently blocked from iOS mobile users, apparently because Apple's mobile browser does not support the "real web" well enough to work acceptably with them. This prevents iOS users from accessing a secondary account.

Android and other mobile users are similarly blocked from accessing MobileMe, and get the same "download the iOS native apps" message iOS users get, despite there being no MobileMe native apps that Android or other mobile users can install.

The first user to report successfully logging into the new service, Rafael Fischmann of the Brazilian MacMagazine blog, presented screen shots of the new Mail, Calendar and Contacts apps, all of which have adopted a new iPad-like appearance.

The new service also includes iCloud for Keynote, Pages and Numbers, which "stores your documents and keeps them up to date on your devices and the web." This new service goes above and beyond the former iWork.com, which simply enabled users to share documents over the web to other users, with a web app client that enabled others to view and comment on documents even without owning iWork.

The new iCloud for iWork apps incorporates "iCloud for Documents," a new storage and sync feature that third party developers can incorporate in their own apps to allow their users to keep documents in sync across the users various devices, updating changes made on one machine across every other instance of that file, automatically.

The first 5GB of documents users store within iCloud will be free, while Apple appears set to make 10, 20 and 50GB options available annually for $20, $40, or $100, respectively.

Missing in the transition from MobileMe to iCloud is the Gallery and iDisk web apps, which are largely replaced by similar functionality offered by iCloud's Photo Stream and Documents features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I was able to successfully log in with my developer account, but not my MobileMe account (as I have not transferred it over yet). First thoughts:
    • Beautiful design. Really lovely look.

• Very iOS like. From the icons, homepage and apps, to the pop-up dialogues and transitions.

• Did I mention it looks like an iPad on the web?

• Also, it's gorgeous. Cannot understate how really elegant everything looks, feels, and works.

It's a great site, and I can't imagine how useful it'll be for all iOS users being free and well-designed. Funny enough, I see things like this as being subtle trojan horses for Apple. It's like they give people a taste of really good taste and then they're hooked. After seeing something done really well, they don't want to settle for anything less.

Really great work.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    This looks beautiful!

Will we be able to thumb through versions of documents on every device also? Or only on the device on which it was being created?

Color me excited.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's a great site, and I can't imagine how useful it'll be for all iOS users being free and well-designed. Funny enough, I see things like this as being subtle trojan horses for Apple. It's like they give people a taste of really good taste and then they're hooked. After seeing something done really well, they don't want to settle for anything less.

I agree. Like offering one single chip and then kicking back and eating the bag in their presence.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    This is pretty cool... I opened up Pages on both my iPhone and iPad and everything is there. It's kinda neat creating a document on your iPad and watching it appear on your iPhone.

I can start brainstorming an idea on my Mac and pickup where I left off on my iPad or iPhone and never miss a beat.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It just works.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Nevermind.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Worked perfectly for me, although I didn't have an old MobilMe account, just my developer account. This is great. I can get rid of my GMail account.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    I get an incorrect username/password dialog that looked like an iOS dialogue (which looked surprisingly nice on OS X!). Anyways, it asked me if I wanted to use iForgot to recover my password, but the password is correct!
  • Reply 9 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The iCloud page is GORGEOUS, by the way.

That background? Just tiled with a great-looking gradient applied to it. I'm sure it's HTML5.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Agreed... EXCEPT the whole thing is worthless to me because I have a DOT ME email address and iCloud doesn't support custom domains even though Google and Microsoft have been supporting them for years.

Quote:

I was able to successfully log in with my developer account, but not my MobileMe account (as I have not transferred it over yet). First thoughts:
    • Beautiful design. Really lovely look.

• Very iOS like. From the icons, homepage and apps, to the pop-up dialogues and transitions.

• Did I mention it looks like an iPad on the web?

• Also, it's gorgeous. Cannot understate how really elegant everything looks, feels, and works.

Really great work.

• Reply 11 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iCloud page is GORGEOUS, by the way.

That background? Just tiled with a great-looking gradient applied to it. I'm sure it's HTML5.

We can call it Cotton.

It's the new Linen.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Agreed... EXCEPT the whole thing is worthless to me because I have a DOT ME email address and iCloud doesn't support custom domains even though Google and Microsoft have been supporting them for years.

So you have for example [email protected] as your email? And you're not able to use it with iCloud? Do you use it for your iTunes purchases? I wasn't aware of this if so; I'm guessing because it's a bit of a niche case (not that that's bad). You should file a report with Apple about it.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    513513 Posts: 21member
    Ok, so for 100$ you get 55 GB.

For the same price, you get 400 GB at Google.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

So you have for example [email protected] as your email? And you're not able to use it with iCloud? Do you use it for your iTunes purchases? I wasn't aware of this if so; I'm guessing because it's a bit of a niche case (not that that's bad). You should file a report with Apple about it.

Particularly since @me.com is the basis on which iCloud is founded...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 513 View Post

And?
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:

I believe you get ads as well.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Anyone managed to actually buy more space?

When I try I get an unknown error occurred dialog.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

I believe you get ads as well.

Only in Gmail, no ads in Calendar, Picasa, Docs.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And?

Maybe it's a bit expensive ?

What is wrong to make a comparison with competitors ?
  • Reply 19 of 77
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

For under $100, you can get 1 TB with a 3-5 year warranty at Fry's.

Talk about great deals, though, from AT&T wireless you can get 50 GB data transferred for $500 or 1 TB for $10K (not counting the cost of overhead bytes of course!)
  • Reply 20 of 77
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iCloud login page is also available from mobile devices (below), suggesting that Apple will finally make its web-based apps accessible from iOS devices. MobileMe web apps are currently blocked from iOS mobile users, apparently because Apple's mobile browser does not support the "real web" well enough to work acceptably with them. This prevents iOS users from accessing a secondary account. [/c]

Believe it or not, some of the current MobileMe web apps use...Flash...shock horror!!

Try it yourself, install Click2Flash and try to upload images using the web apps. You need to click to allow the Flash buttons to work.

Hopefully, that's all behind us now. These web apps look lovely and as has been said, they'll be a great piece of advertising for Apple's ethos. Apple don't get enough credit for their website work. They really make some nice stuff.