Skype for iPad app arrives on App Store with iPad 2 video calls

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The Skype for iPad app, which includes support for video calls on the iPad 2, began rolling out to App Stores around the world on Tuesday, but was "temporarily removed" by the company for unknown reasons [updated].

Update: Skype has pulled the app. "To ensure your best Skype experience, we've temporarily removed Skype for iPad which went live prematurely today," the company said on Twitter. "We know you've been eagerly awaiting Skype for iPad and apologize for the inconvenience."

The free app appeared first on the New Zealand App Store early Tuesday shortly before making its way onto other international storefronts, including the U.S.

After Skype's native iPad app was leaked in June, an executive with the company confirmed an upcoming release, noting that the app would have basically the same functionality as the iPhone version and is expected to enjoy "similar success."

Two-way video calling is enabled for iPad 2 users, while first-generation iPad owners will only be able to receive video. Video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above. Skype calls can placed over Wi-Fi or 3G.

Apple's long-time rival Microsoft acquired Skype in May for $8.5 billion, sparking some concerns over the future of Skype on iOS. The Redmond, Wash., software giant has reassured that it will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

The arrival of a native Skype app on the iPad should pose a challenge to Apple's FaceTime standard. Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the video chat functionality as his characteristic "one more thing" last year alongside the announcement of the iPhone 4. The company subsequently followed an aggressive plan to bring FaceTime to the iPod, Mac and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I don't see it in the App Store yet...

Been waiting for this!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just downloaded it.... Sweet!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    about time
  • Reply 4 of 30
    is same garbage as desktop OS X version 5.x then I see no chance for it to compete with Facetime.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Still not present in App Store (US)
  • Reply 6 of 30
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

is same garbage as desktop OS X version 5.x then I see no chance for it to compete with Facetime.

Can facetime communicate with others on PC's or Android phones? No? I don't think Skype has much to worry about.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Searching for "Skype" in the App Store only displays it on the second page of results for iPad apps in the App Store.

Trying to download it gives the message "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." This is in US App Store.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

Facetime cannot compete with Skype, and facetime has to go a loooong way before its as useful.

I have used facetime a lot, but skype even more on my iphone.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Searching for "Skype" in the App Store only displays it on the second page of results for iPad apps in the App Store.

However, when I try to install it, it tells me the app is no longer available.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I use Facetime A LOT (lucky enough to have a large circle of fellow Apple cultist friends/family) and find it to be a superior experience to Skype, but the fact still remains that most of the world around me cannot utilize Facetime. So, I suffer the Skype experience until Facetime sees wide adoption.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    For the love of God I wish they would just hurry up and make this work.

Just make one unified communication platform covering messaging/chat/VOIP/video by combining Messenger/Skype and Facebook.

Then bake it into Windows/Xbox/WP7, ensure there are top quality apps for all major platforms and offer cheap and fair licensing agreements to bake the communication platform into other OS's.

If Microsoft doesn't hurry up and capitalize on their position with Skype we are going to end up with three totally separate and incompatible communication platforms from Microsoft, Google and Apple... and if that is the case the default method of communication will continue to be the backwards crappy version that the carriers provide to us.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

To add to the comments

FaceTime is useless. It presents regardless if the contact has it or not and there is no way to know if a person who does have it can receive a call.

From the users perspective it is a frustrating experience.

It suffers the same issue as mms vs sms, every mobile number in your address book can receive SMS but you don't know who can receive mms.

It is a bit dumb since you have to register with Apple's servers to use it but then the servers can't look at your address book to advise who else has it.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Does this finally let you use a bluetooth headset for calls? I don't understand what's the holdup with the regular Skype app. It'll ring on my headset, but I have to fish out the iPhone and hold it to my ear to actually take the call.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Actually, doesn't the facetime button gets greyed out when it's not available?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

To add to the comments

FaceTime is useless. It presents regardless if the contact has it or not and there is no way to know if a person who does have it can receive a call.

From the users perspective it is a frustrating experience.

It suffers the same issue as mms vs sms, every mobile number in your address book can receive SMS but you don't know who can receive mms.

It is a bit dumb since you have to register with Apple's servers to use it but then the servers can't look at your address book to advise who else has it.

• Reply 15 of 30
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Can facetime communicate with others on PC's or Android phones? No? I don't think Skype has much to worry about.

Any corporation that needs to spend $8.5 billion on video conferencing software has a serious problem.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    After Microsoft will have spun down most operations in an attempt to avoid bankruptcy, they may be able to survive as a developer for iOS/MacOS. But they also will need to vastly improve on such things as Quality Control, non-spywareness, leanliness (no tons of unnecessary crap) etc., to make it, after this major reorganization. They may even need to fire Ballmer.

Buying Skype may be the best investment they ever made, notwithstanding all the negative commentaries
  • Reply 18 of 30
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Any corporation that needs to spend $8.5 billion on video conferencing software has a serious problem.

Or, they bought incredible market share. Everyone I know knows Skype. FaceTime, iChat are by comparison unknown.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    How do you post something like this 'prematurely?' It takes like two weeks to be approved doesn't it?

I wonder what's in this version that made them pull it.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Pulled it? Idiots...only Skype, how many people do they have working for them, 5?

After the abomination that is Skype for mac....