Apple's fifth-gen iPhone could be 'bigger upgrade than expected'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I think that's a flawed argument. cajun is saying he finds 4" screens appealing. And Apple actually does have a long and gloried history of changing products because users liked something a different way. There wasn't, after all, "a valid, *design-based* reason" to put video on a 2" iPod screen. Quite the opposite in fact. But Apple was pragmatic about it, saw that people wanted it, and reversed themselves.

Sometimes you do things because it's a good idea. 4" may end up being more the optimum size for the screen. When they designed the original iPhone, they were basically breaking an entirely new trail. Nobody had a design or a form factor like it. I wouldn't see anything wrong in Apple re-evaluating the situation and saying that they were going with a 4" screen.

Seems to me you heard one. Sometimes the whole design-based reason for something like 4" screen is "Wow, I saw one and it sure looked nice." And to be honest, I think that's a better reason than "If we take it to this size, people will quibble about our marketing terms."

Here's how the "design-based" process works at Apple.

Apple engineers build dozens of prototypes using a variety of components from various suppliers. It is likely that within Apple's labs, there are samples of every single commercially viable handset display.

Steve Jobs visits that top-secret lab. He walks around and looks at the various prototypes, picks up some of them. Finally, he'll stop at one and say, "I like this one."

The "design-based" process is what Steve likes. It's not design-by-committee at Apple. They don't do market research, they don't do stuff because everyone else is doing it. It is likely that Steve has personally viewed every single display suitable for a smartphone.

Speculation on what the next iPhone will look like is not about guessing "what makes the most sense." The correct answer will always be "Steve likes this."

Steve has had multiple opportunities to pick a larger display for the iPhone (and iPod touch) yet each time, he has stuck with the same size. It's likely that Steve simply doesn't like the larger screen. That makes sense if you look at Steve's overall aesthetic (heavily Japanese influenced). He likes slender, small, and simple.

Steve is not going to supersize the iPhone. Remember, the overall push is to get these devices smaller not bigger.

On the computing side, the 11" MacBook Air is the epitome of Steve's design sensibilities, not the Mac Pro nor even the iMac.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    I doubt there is going to be a change in screen size unless they have a specific reason for the change (like the multitasking bar is permanent).if there is a change in size then developers will have to rewrite apps, even if you don't change the density. Making pixels bigger just throws off the entire ui of an app and defeats the purpose of a bigger screen. They should have given developers a heads up if that was the case.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Despite, the larger 4.3" screen that the Galaxy has, it is still very pocketable. Truthfully, I find the size/weight/thickness to be very nice.

I have no plans to abandon the iPhone, but I'd be pleased with a slightly larger size. That said, I doubt we'll ever see a 4.3" iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    Both the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are about to be replaced.

The 3GS will be replaced by a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 and will cost around $99.

The iPhone 4 will be replaced by the iPhone 5 which will be a larger, faster iPhone 4 for $199-299.

The iPhone 5 will have a unibody design that looks like a cross between the original iPhone and a larger iPhone 4.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

To give someone a reason to upgrade.

Otherwise, what's the point? My iPhone 4 is plenty fast enough for my tastes, so if all they do is slap a better CPU in it then I'll just skip this generation and wait for the 6.

If Apple does away with the external antenna (or improves it), and gets rid of the back glass panel (or makes it stronger), plus delivers this thinner more rounded design, then this is plenty of reason to upgrade.

A larger screen is not needed or wanted for most users. My pocket and I agree that if they can stuff a larger screen into the current size, then it's all good. Or if they only minimally increase the external size ( a couple of millimeters). But in no way do I want it to swell big enough for a 4 inch screen or bigger. I would be okay with 3.75 if it made others happy, but 3.5 works great.

I don't want an iPad Jr. in my pocket (not that it would fit).
  • Reply 26 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

I'd really like to see a slightly bigger screen (but with the same screen resolution).

I KNEW IT.

The second I read the title, I knew that someone would ignore the word 'upgrade' COMPLETELY and just live in their little fantasy world where 4.5" screens somehow make sense.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The 3GS will be replaced by a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 and will cost around $99.

The iPhone 4 will be replaced by the iPhone 5 which will be a larger, faster iPhone 4 for $199-299.

The iPhone 5 will have a unibody design that looks like a cross between the original iPhone and a larger iPhone 4.

INSIDE INFO, people! I hope your job was worth it!
  • Reply 28 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I KNEW IT.

The second I read the title, I knew that someone would ignore the word 'upgrade' COMPLETELY and just live in their little fantasy world where 4.5" screens somehow make sense.

To be fair, kfury didn't necessarily ignore the word "upgrade". The iPhone5 upgrade could be literally bigger and have a larger screen, or it might be "bigger" in the sense that it completely diverts from the iPhone 4 design. Only Apple knows for sure. But, either way, just because kfury wants a larger screen, doesn't mean he is interpreting this headline as "News Flash! The iPhone 5 will have a HUGE screen!"
  • Reply 29 of 108
    drrjvdrrjv Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 4, but plan on jumping from AT&T to Verizon with the iPhone 5.

I would think hard about jumping to VZW - their data is much slower than ATT (I'm not deciding anything until LTE is out).
  • Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drrjv View Post

I would think hard about jumping to VZW - their data is much slower than ATT (I'm not deciding anything until LTE is out).

Except where it's faster.

You can't make blanket statements about telecom speeds.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Problem is, iCloud doesn't stream multimedia yet, the main reason why you need so much storage..

It's coming.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'll be very disappointed if the screen is only a tiny bit bigger. 4" should be the absolute minimum, but I'd sooner see 4.3 or even 4.5" on offer.

I think Apple would lose more customers than it gains if they went bigger than 4".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

until someone explains to me how Apple can enlarge the screen without reducing pixel density (ie, Retina Display) then I am eternally skeptical about a larger iPhone. There is zero chance Apple will ask developers to go back and fix their apps to run on a resolution other than 960x640.

Since "Retina Display" is nothing more than an Apple marketing term, they can define it however they want. They can slightly lower the pixel density and still call it a Retina Display. How often has Apple reused marketing terms, sometimes for completely different things? SuperDrive started out being the name for the high-density floppy drives in Mac II computers. Then later they reused it for DVD writers, and the speed of those burners changed over time but they were always called SuperDrives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdh5019 View Post

I doubt there is going to be a change in screen size unless they have a specific reason for the change (like the multitasking bar is permanent).if there is a change in size then developers will have to rewrite apps, even if you don't change the density. Making pixels bigger just throws off the entire ui of an app and defeats the purpose of a bigger screen. They should have given developers a heads up if that was the case.

Since I doubt the iPhone screen will get bigger than 4", and I think it will be more in the range of 3.75-3.8", that's hardly a big enough change to require a UI re-write. Your point is valid if we were talking 4" or bigger, but I don't think we are. And your argument about the need for UI changes is one of the reason why I think that.

As for those calling for screens bigger than 4" because that's what their Android friends have, keep in mind that many of those phones have a wider aspect ratio screen than the iPhone. I really don't see Apple changing the aspect ratio as that would certainly cause UI issues. So maintaining the same aspect ratio, a 4" iPhone is going to have to be wider than a 4" Android phone, making the iPhone look more like a mini tablet than a phone. I just don't see that happening.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

.. Sometimes the whole design-based reason for something like 4" screen is "Wow, I saw one and it sure looked nice." And to be honest, I think that's a better reason than "If we take it to this size, people will quibble about our marketing terms."

Well if you're going to just completely redefine what a "design-based" reason is then it's pretty easy to prove me wrong.

I like it, it sells, it looks cool, the other guys are doing it, etc. are all *not* design-based reasons.

I could easily be wrong, everyone (at least in the USA) seems to want these gigantic screens, and Apple may bow to public pressure in that regard. I still doubt it though, and even if they did, nothing about that changes the fact that there is no design-based reason to do it, and that Apple rarely changes a product for any reasons other than design-based ones.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

I'd be surprised to see that happen. With iCloud coming, there is increasingly less need for local storage. They'd rather use that internal space for a bigger battery. I see reducing flash memory as a key trade-off for Apple to enter lower price-point markets (ie, 8GB 3GS being sold off contract, etc). iCloud mitigates this tradeoff.

64 GB can take the same space as 32 GB if money is no object.

I'm sure you're right, with iCloud there isn't much reason for more storage, except that you can't get an unlimited plan with an iPhone. That's a major downside, but I don't watch any streaming videos on my smartphone and I have an unlimited data plan. I don't think any phone is suitable for watching videos - if I am going to do so I would pull out an iPad or laptop (in the dream world where I can afford an iPad )

I'm not much of a portable music listener, but that and photos would be the only thing I would put on my smartphone, so I think 16-32GB is plenty.

Anyway, I am perfectly happy with my 2 GB microSD card and I'm happy to know that I can expand. I seriously don't see what Apple's problem about including a slot could possibly be. I'm sure they could fit one in without making the case larger. (Though I don't like how Android handles external storage)

The 64 GB iPhone will be an upgrade for a price, if it's even offered.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'll be very disappointed if the screen is only a tiny bit bigger. 4" should be the absolute minimum, but I'd sooner see 4.3 or even 4.5" on offer.

Not going to happen with the iPhone. It's already hit the sweet spot in size.

The screen will likely fit within the bounds of the standard iPhone size case but stretched a bit. That's as far as Apple needs to go without messing up all of the third-party accessories.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

I'd be surprised to see that happen. With iCloud coming, there is increasingly less need for local storage.

iCloud is not meant to be a repository where you stream everything from. It's meant to be a sync technology so that you always have access to your stuff. i.e. your contacts, calendar, music, etc. is transferred to and from iCloud, but not in real time. Well, in its present form anyway. Remember, iCloud is also for devices that don't have 24/7 Internet connectivity as well.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    The necessary LTE chipset for Apple (Qualcomm 9615) wont be in mass production until the end of the year. So the new phone wont be LTE.

What I worry about is Apple waiting until next Sept. (of 2012) to bring LTE to the iPhone, even though there will be a capable chip available much earlier (and there will be a ton of LTE devices on the market that have good battery life using this same chip). On the flip side, Apple could release the iPhone 6 as early as May or June of 2012, so whats the purpose of getting the iPhone 5 if the LTE phone is just 8 months away? Its a weird situation they're in with their product release cycles.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Whoa... you're like, a total seer! Amazing! Where did you get those prices? That's so brilliant, the way you segmented the market. you should totally call Apple and suggest it!

And the style prediction of the 5! Amazing! It's like you know what all the rumors said, AFTER they said it! Wow!
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

so whats the purpose of getting the iPhone 5 if the LTE phone is just 8 months away?

Plenty. Because that's NOT how it's going to be.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

The necessary LTE chipset for Apple (Qualcomm 9615) wont be in mass production until the end of the year. So the new phone wont be LTE.

What I worry about is Apple waiting until next Sept. (of 2012) to bring LTE to the iPhone, even though there will be a capable chip available much earlier (and there will be a ton of LTE devices on the market that have good battery life using this same chip). On the flip side, Apple could release the iPhone 6 as early as May or June of 2012, so whats the purpose of getting the iPhone 5 if the LTE phone is just 8 months away? Its a weird situation they're in with their product release cycles.

I wouldn't worry about it. There were plenty of 3G phones on the market before Apple took the plunge and it didn't affect them negatively at all. They basically waited until they could get it right, and this paid off. The change to LTE will be the same. Apple needs to stay the course and wait on LTE until it is power efficient and until the network is much more widespread. It's too immature right now, and most users are just fine on 3G speeds.

Oh, and there is absolutely no way that an additional iPhone with LTE will be released 8 months after iPhone 5. Not unless they had a major problem with the 5 and needed to kill it off quickly. Other than that, I believe Apple has now in effect changed their iPhone refresh cycle to the Fall instead of Summer.