Running Windows on my iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking about loading windows onto my iMac only because I need windows for work but I wanted to get feedback before I do this. So please give me some feedback pros & cons Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Pro: A...pparently you need it?

Con: It's Windows.

Pro: Boot Camp couldn't be easier to use, provided you follow the directions.

Con: It's Windows...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    p40whkp40whk Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pro: A...pparently you need it?

Con: It's Windows.

Pro: Boot Camp couldn't be easier to use, provided you follow the directions.

Con: It's Windows...

Agreed, Bootcamp is the way to go. Might want to through in a cheap hard drive strictly as a windows drive rather than partition an existing drive
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Has anyone tried using the minidisplay port out to VGA from within Windows? The first aluminum imacs were not able to mirror the display through windows with the mini dvi to vga out adaptor. This will be necessary for me to run the Smartboard in my classroom. The HP all-in-ones don't have video out ports at all. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Personally, I prefer Parallels (or Fusion) as it allows me to run both OS's simultaneously. No need to reboot and quit all my OSX stuff when need a stupid Windows program (as is the case with the Bootcamp method.)

Now, if you're using it in a classroom, it MIGHT be easier to just have it booted into Windows without using OSX... that's for you to decide .
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

... This will be necessary for me to run the Smartboard in my classroom. ...

Convenient? Maybe. Necessary? Hardly. Download and install the Mac version of Smartboard software.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Convenient? Maybe. Necessary? Hardly. Download and install the Mac version of Smartboard software.

I need to be in Windows to run other software required for the job, such as student system software. I only use Bootcamp, since Parallels is not as easily repairable when Windows has problems, as Windows will.

I consider to be necessary whatever is needed to do my job the "best" that it can be done. I ended up ordering the HP TouchSmart 610q today and I'll just use a USB to VGA adaptor. I can use the added ability of the HP to tilt back 60 degrees and then use the 610q's touch screen to run the computer while standing up. Using a mouse from a standing position is difficult on the wrist for a taller person.

You'll probably ask why I need to use the touchscreen when I have a smartboard. With the desktop extended instead of mirrored, Smart Notebook software can be on the smartboard for students to view, while the student system software for attendance, gradebook, etc., can be on the HP touchscreen for my use.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

I need to be in Windows to run other software required for the job, such as student system software. ...

This is a Mac forum. My point is that you do not need Windows to operate a SmartBoard. Why you may or may not use HP hardware is your business, but is outside the purview of this forum.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This is a Mac forum. My point is that you do not need Windows to operate a SmartBoard. Why you may or may not use HP hardware is your business, but is outside the purview of this forum.

I am aware of the OS SmartBoard software, that wasn't my question. Since Windows and a video out was necessary for me, I was comparing the iMac running Bootcamp vs the HP all-in-one. In most forums people are allowed to discuss, compare and contrast company products to other products not made by the same company.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I don't know why so may people here get so bent out of shape with the mention of any other computer manufacturer and/or Windows.

Windows will run in Boot Camp very well and it'll suit your needs just fine. If you wanted to down the road, you could install VMWare Fusion or Parallels and set those to run off the Boot Camp drive which is really handy (lets you play around in Windows without a reboot). That would also maintain the ability to use Boot Camp to boot into Windows natively if you wanted the full power of the machine.