iPad competitors still can't match Apple's design efficiencies

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iPad sucks!

My Android tablet is only 2.9 inches thick, weighs 3.2 lbs., has 4 gigs of memory and it's made from laptop parts. This makes it very easy for me to fix it when it needs fixing, and heaven knows, it needs a hell of a lot of fixing. That is one particular feature which sure comes in handy. I happen to walk around with a screwdriver in my pocket, just in case. It also has a super fast 1.8 Ghz quad core processor which means that it only stutters and freezes once every 20 seconds.

Did I mention that my Android tablet has Flash! Yes, that's right you Apple fanbois and fangirls, it has Flash. I am a huge loser and the opposite sex won't even give me the time of day, so I spend most of my time on Facebook playing Farmville. I don't even dream about girls anymore, I now fantasize about having sex with cows. As you can tell by my tablet choice, I'm a picky person, so I won't just settle for any old cow, I prefer white cows with brown spots on them.

And yes, iOS has a ton more apps available than Android, I admit that, but who needs apps anyway? Even though the apps that I have on Android look like they were designed by a blind 5 year old, mentally disabled child, I am more than happy with the offering available on Android. I am also a huge cheapskate, and I don't mind ads at all. I have only spent $1.99 for all of my apps put together.

So there you have it Apple fanbois and girls, I highly suggest that you abandon the closed iOS environment and enter the laggy, choppy, ad plagued, malware infested, inferior performance and amateur app world of Android like I have done. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Oh us Apple fans sure miss the opportunity for the viruses...
  • Reply 62 of 78
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Apple spent years of R&D and hard work on these iOS products stemming from their very first mass consumed mobile product the iPod... They took their time to perfect the game on the iPhone and then learned everything from that to apply on to the iPad. The competition just copied... can't remember when was the last time they brought out a new product and defined a new class of devices?
  • Reply 63 of 78
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers . . . I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I have the MacBook 2.16 and it has to have its keyboard unit replaced every nine or ten months. My warranty is up but the Apple Genius informed me the problem was acknowledged by Apple and I would continue to receive courtesy replacements for as long as I owned it. I don't count that as Apple manipulating their customers. Replacements are a hassle but having to use a myriad of Windows systems and computers at work, I know when I am better off, even with the buggered keyboard hassle. I foolishly mentioned my prob at work and the M$ regularly bring it up and wonder when I am getting a Windows machine. Funny that I am the one they seek out when problems occur on their machines but other than the keyboard, I have never had the problems with any Apple OS or 6 computers that I have owned.

I know over three dozen iPad owners and I have not met one who was dissatisfied.

I suspect you will be much happier with the Xoom. And from what I have read on an Xoom support forum, you will have lots of help should you find it not to your total satisfaction.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Is that really the best you guys can offer as an answer? Because, honestly, sometimes is much better to say nothing and look smart.

While OP did get a bit emotional with his post, there's a point there. On my iPhone sometimes even opening only 2 pages forces browser to reload page whenever switching from one to another. And yes, it can be annoying.

Not sure why no one has mentioned this (or maybe I missed it), but one of the touted features of iOS5 is tabbed browsing on the iPad. I assume this should handle the re-loading of pages when moving between them.

I myself find it a little inconvienent, especially since pages do not load in the background. But I think iOS5 will fix that.

I'm not too sure if the "going back to the top while loading" will be fixed or not.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    abbatiabbati Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers and glad that I can remain impartial and not be brainwashed, despite having owned almost every computer or iOS product they have ever made, other than PowerMac or Mac Pro.

I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I read a review somewhere that claimed apple fixed this problem in iOS 5, can't confirm it... but am sure I did...
  • Reply 66 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Is that really the best you guys can offer as an answer? Because, honestly, sometimes is much better to say nothing and look smart.

While OP did get a bit emotional with his post, there's a point there. On my iPhone sometimes even opening only 2 pages forces browser to reload page whenever switching from one to another. And yes, it can be annoying.

The problem with Safari is an annoying one, no doubt about that. As solipsism noted, fixed in iOS 5. I didn't go back and reread all those replies, but I don't think anyone was defending the problem. I think the objection is calling the whole device rubbish because of the Safari problem. It's not a hardware problem, it is baffling why it was allowed to continue for so long.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbati View Post

I read a review somewhere that claimed apple fixed this problem in iOS 5, can't confirm it... but am sure I did...

Nope. Still does it.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    One decent reason for more RAM might be the ability to open large pdfs in ibooks without splitting the document
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

One decent reason for more RAM might be the ability to open large pdfs in ibooks without splitting the document

iBooks can open PDFs over double the size of the amount of RAM in the system, so I don't see what this has to do with anything.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iBooks can open PDFs over double the size of the amount of RAM in the system, so I don't see what this has to do with anything.

Well in my case iBooks choked on a multi gig design document that I would have rather reviewed on my ipad rather than printing out 100+ pages or reading on a desktop

I realize that it's an extreme case and just assumed that RAM was the limiting factor here and thought nothing of it since
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:

Well in my case iBooks choked on a multi gig design document that I would have rather reviewed on my ipad rather than printing out 100+ pages or reading on a desktop

How multi was multi-gig? Over 5? I see over 5 being a problem.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How multi was multi-gig? Over 5? I see over 5 being a problem.

It was two or three I believe. I don't really remember which one it was exactly or I'd go and double check
  • Reply 73 of 78
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As a side not it has been said that engineers and managers at RIM (or one of the old line phone companies) didn't believe Apples commercials when the iPhone first debuted. They literally thought it was a fake that what they where doing on the platform was impossible. It is no wonder that everyone is still playing catch up.

All the iPhone commercials actually are faked. When they say "sequences were shortened", what they mean is that "the phone can't actually do all these things this quickly, but the ad would look a bit lame if we actually had to wait for these apps to load"

• Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not really, Apple has been very dishonest here in not publicly stating how much RAM is in the various iPad models. This data is valid for comparison within a family of devices.

I don't think public knowledge of the amount of RAM in the iPad is required. Apple is very clear about what devices support which software / OS features. Knowing a device has 1GB of ram vs 512MB doesn't help the end user figure out what the device will do or how it will perform. App/Device compatibility and supported features per device are published on an app's page in the App Store are more beneficial to the end user.

Computers and other devices are moving outside of the world of techies and geeks. Being dependent on knowing the amount af ram in a system and other specs will be a thing of the past. Sure in systems where you can increase it more will always be beneficial but that isn't always needed now as most things ship with enough ram to do most things people will need. Instead of looking at a piece of software that requires at a minimum a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, 1 GB of disk space, 2Gb of Ram and a super fancy video card all you will need to know is if it works on your device or doesn't work on your device and that is exactly what you get wit the iPad now.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It was two or three I believe. I don't really remember which one it was exactly or I'd go and double check

I don't know if doubling the memory will fix that. It might just be that they never expected to read PDFs several gigabytes in size and never tested one that large. If they're your documents, it might help to make sure images don't have an excessive DPI, there might even be software that can process an entire PDF to cut the DPI of raster images to realistic figures, keeping file sizes and render times to a manageable level.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    It is truly fascinating to me how far out in front the iPad 2 is compared to the rest of the tablet world. It's spreading so much in it's reach too. People are using the iPad for just about everything they were previously using a notebook or laptop for. I saw on a tech blog earlier this week that the federal government is actually giving tax incentives for doctors who use certain iPad apps to move their medical practice billing online. Of course, now that Apple technically has more money than Uncle Sam...maybe they should be the one passing out the incentives! I'll line up for mine.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

iOS uses a more modern rendering engine than Android. Animations are much smoother which makes over all system performance feel snappier!

There's a good explanation of this here

Quote:

For instance. The rendering system, that is, the method by which UI widgets like menus and buttons and such get painted on the screen, is primarily software-based.

What does that mean? Let?s take the screenshot above as an example. If you pressed the Down key, you would expect the ?Homepage? entry to be selected instead of ?Go to.? So you press the Down key. This causes an ?invalidate,? meaning, ?please repaint the screen.? So the screen is cleared, then:

The OS redraws the status bar at the top

The WebView redraws the Google.com website

The Menu draws its translucent black background and border

All the menu text is drawn

The blue gradient highlight is drawn over ?Homepage.?

This all happens very quickly, and you only ever see the final result, so it looks like just a few pixels have changed, but in fact the whole screen must be reconsidered and redrawn.

If this sounds familiar, it?s because this is the basic method used in GDI, the rendering system introduced with Microsoft Windows 1.0. That sounds damning, but really most GUIs operated this way.

Until the iPhone came along?

When you?re using an iPhone, you?re playing a hardware-accelerated 3D game. You know, the kind of 3D where everything is made out of hundreds of little triangles.

When you flick through your list of friends in the Contacts app, you?re causing those triangles to move around. And there?s a ?camera,? just like a 3D shooter, but the camera is fixed above the Contacts app?s virtual surface and so it appears 2D.

Which is a long way of saying that everything on iOS is drawn using OpenGL. This is why animation on iOS is so hopelessly fast. You may have noticed that -drawRect is not called for each frame of an animation. It?s called once, then you draw your lines and circles and text onto an OpenGL surface (which you didn?t even realize), then Core Animation moves these surfaces around like pulling on the strings of a marionette. All the final compositing for each frame is done in hardware by the GPU.

Android seems to have made the decision early on that they wouldn?t force their manufacturing partners to include a GPU. This decision made total sense back in the pre-iPhone days, but now it?s causing pain, as even the new hardware acceleration in Android 3.0 is limited by the original software-based compositing system.

So here?s the catch with the wonderful flexible layout system in Android: You must be very careful. If you animate certain kinds of properties, you can easily force the CPU to do all that fancy, expensive layout on each animation frame. And the CPU is very busy right now parsing some JSON from a web API or something, OK?