Rumor: Apple set to launch 'iTunes Replay' for re-downloading, streaming

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple will soon fully launch its long in-the-works "iTunes Replay" service that will allow users to re-download and potentially stream purchased content, including Hollywood movies, a new rumor claims.

The Apple TV set-top box and the iTunes Store were updated on Monday to allow users to re-download TV shows they have already purchased. According to AppAdvice, Apple is expected to add that functionality for movies in the near future.

The report claims users will be able to see which content can be re-downloaded with an arrow indicating that content is "iTunes Replay eligible." In order for content to qualify, Apple must have secured the appropriate licenses.

Apple is also expected to add streaming of content to its so-called "iTunes Replay" service. The company is said to be testing the service internally, and it will launch publicly in a matter of weeks.

Sources also reportedly indicated that some content will only be available to download a maximum of five times. The site said they "don't know how streaming will count towards that limit."

In early June, Apple launched its iTunes in the Cloud service, which allows users to re-download music and applications previously downloaded. The service, powered by Apple's $1 billion server farm in North Carolina, even allowed users to re-download applications that have been removed from the App Store.

AppleInsider first reported in 2009 that Apple was working on an "iTunes Replay" service that could allow re-downloading of content, as well as streaming to devices without a need to save files locally. But the company is believed to have been held up by licensing issues, some of which were settled in negotiations with content providers this year.

During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call last month, Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer teased that his company would be making changes on the iTunes Store in the coming months. Oppenheimer revealed that Apple has "neat stuff coming" to the iTunes Store in the near future.

Before this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, numerous reports indicated that Apple had reached streaming music agreements with all four major record companies. But at WWDC, Apple's formal announcement of the iCloud service only included the $25-per-year iTunes Match, which allows users to re-download songs through iTunes that they have purchased elsewhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mikepromikepro Posts: 21member
    About time. What a novel idea, let me re-download something I already paid for and own. Movie studios have to stop holding this up. It's only hurting them and pushing people towards piracy if you make it difficult for them to get to content THEY ALREADY PAID FOR!

I personally would buy a lot more of my movies on iTunes if I knew I could re-download them or stream them at any time. Adds a lot to the value proposition of buying digital copies over physical media.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    I can't wait to see what happens if Ultraviolet takes off.

It's going to end up Apple vs the-rest-of-the-world.

• Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Movie studios have to stop holding this up. It's only hurting them and pushing people towards piracy if you make it difficult for them to get to content THEY ALREADY PAID FOR!

As above. I think it has more to do with studios wanting to maintain control and not have Apple rule all digital media like they already rule digital music, rather than a blatant disregard for the future.

There are going to be some head clashes around this over the next few years. Hopefully it ends up bloody.

I can't wait
  • Reply 4 of 19
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    As of Monday August 2 I was able to download any TV shows I had purchased from Apple through the iTunes store via a new section called purchased. There is an iCloud button with a download arrow. It also worked on my iPhone with version 4.3. I downloaded a show I bought 2 years ago at no charge.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I can't wait to see what happens if Ultraviolet takes off.

Except everything that Ultraviolet promises to let you do you can already legally do for free, so there's no point to it existing except to increase the cost of physical media.

LIKE THAT WRETCHED "DIGITAL COPY" BLASPHEMY.

I'm NOT buying an "Ultraviolet computer", "Ultraviolet TV", or anything else specifically designed for Ultraviolet. I refuse to spend extra money for something I can legally do for free. It's abject nonsense and I won't have it.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report claims users will be able to see which content can be re-downloaded with an arrow indicating that content is "iTunes Replay eligible." In order for content to qualify, Apple must have secured the appropriate licenses.

If I read this right, iTunes will indicate eligible content in the store.

Personally, I would avoid anything that is not eligible.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

If I read this right, iTunes will indicate eligible content in the store.

Personally, I would avoid anything that is not eligible.

Implying that what is eligible now is the only stuff that will ever be eligible...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Implying that what is eligible now is the only stuff that will ever be eligible...

Actually only implying that one is not sure WHICH things will eventually become eligible, so he prefers to wait for confirmation. Not bad logic, if this feature is a requirement. For me, not so much.

Thompson
  • Reply 9 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

As above. I think it has more to do with studios wanting to maintain control and not have Apple rule all digital media like they already rule digital music, rather than a blatant disregard for the future.

I think it isn't an either/or but a both. Studios and networks both are not ready to face that the future is now and the old systems like the Nielsen ratings and Box Office just aren't the end all and be all anymore. Folks watch tv on their devices, folks don't want to deal with rude people in movies that text or bring crying babies to action flicks etc. Things like the whole 'higher priced digital rental between a movie leaving the theatre and the DVD release' could go over like gang busters but the studios don't want to do it. And the big filmmakers are supporting this resistance even though it's only being looked at for limited release stuff and things that aren't viewing anymore anyway.

Studios are also resisting the notion of a digital blu-ray file or adding features packs to movies. iTunes Extras could have been awesome but it didn't gain like it should have. And it never went over to TV like it could have. Studios also resist multi language and CC/subtitles in digital tracks so the DVDs have that advantage.

And then as you say, simply refusing to license to Apple's desired terms as a way to remind Apple who has the power. It's a pissing match that we customers lose out on.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I still think Apple is going to offer a $10-a-month music streaming service in September/October. You'll be able to stream and keep the tracks on your devices, but you'll have to wireless or wired sync with Apple every month to update the licenses. You'll have unlimited streaming on unlimited devices but no burning to disc. Basically the same deal as Spotify.

(I wonder how Apple and the labels would handle the licensing for people on the streaming plan to use music tracks in iLife projects? Limitations on export to iDVD?)

Apple has streaming deals with all the major labels and is not going to let Spotify have six months or longer to raid the top volume purchasers of iTunes Store music.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Actually only implying that one is not sure WHICH things will eventually become eligible, so he prefers to wait for confirmation. Not bad logic, if this feature is a requirement. For me, not so much.

Knowing Apple, they won't settle for less than everything, so it's safe to buy anything.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I still think Apple is going to offer a $10-a-month music streaming service in September/October. You'll be able to stream and keep the tracks on your devices, but you'll have to wireless or wired sync with Apple every month to update the licenses. You'll have unlimited streaming on unlimited devices but no burning to disc. Basically the same deal as Spotify.

(I wonder how Apple and the labels would handle the licensing for people on the streaming plan to use music tracks in iLife projects? Limitations on export to iDVD?)

Apple has streaming deals with all the major labels and is not going to let Spotify have six months or longer to raid the top volume purchasers of iTunes Store music.

September would be good timing, since that is when Netflix's price changes go into effect. It would be nice for Apple to pick up a large number of disgruntled Netflix subscribers.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

September would be good timing, since that is when Netflix's price changes go into effect. It would be nice for Apple to pick up a large number of disgruntled Netflix subscribers.

Except Netflix' streaming-only remains the same price and that's what Apple would be going up against, not their discs.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Except everything that Ultraviolet promises to let you do you can already legally do for free, so there's no point to it existing except to increase the cost of physical media.

That's not correct.

If I purchase a Blu-ray from Best Buy, Netflix are under no obligation to allow me to stream that movie to all my devices.

If someone purchases a bunch of movies and TV episodes through whatever marketplace HP decide to create for WebOS, and then HP pull the plug on WebOS, there is currently no legal path I can take to get me access to those same movies on another online streaming service.

That is the kind of stuff Ultraviolet promises (if it will actually deliver is a debate for another day).

Quote:

I'm NOT buying an "Ultraviolet computer", "Ultraviolet TV", or anything else specifically designed for Ultraviolet.

You likely won't be able to avoid it. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba and LG are all members. Where is your next TV coming from?

Netflix and LoveFilm are also members. So good luck avoiding any devices that support either one of those.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

If someone purchases a bunch of movies and TV episodes through whatever marketplace HP decide to create for WebOS, and then HP pull the plug on WebOS, there is currently no legal path I can take to get me access to those same movies on another online streaming service.

Sure there is. It's perfectly legal to just download them after you've bought them.

Quote:

Where is your next TV coming from?

Won't be buying one. I don't have a need for a television, so my existing one will do.

Quote:

Netflix and LoveFilm are also members. So good luck avoiding any devices that support either one of those.

Somehow I see Apple ignoring this completely, so I should be just fine.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Am I missing something? This started for me last week. I can download all of my 2500 purchased songs, 1400 TV shows and hundreds of apps.

Am I special???

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydrew View Post

Am I special???

Yes, but that's completely unrelated to your posts. Everyone has had this for about a month.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Sure there is. It's perfectly legal to just download them after you've bought them

From where?!?! Is there a magical Internet movie repository that will kindly let me stream all my purchases?

Or are you saying companies like Apple are legally obliged to let me have access to movies and TV shows that I have purchased on DVD or Blu-ray?

Quote:

Won't be buying one. I don't have a need for a television, so my existing one will do.

You're never going to buy a new TV? Really?

Quote:

Somehow I see Apple ignoring this completely, so I should be just fine.

The Apple TV already supports Netflix.

Here. Read it for yourself.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/#netflix
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

From where?!?! Is there a magical Internet movie repository that will kindly let me stream all my purchases?

FINE. I concede Ultraviolet's utility when it comes to streaming.

Quote:

You're never going to buy a new TV? Really?

Yeah. I couldn't care less about TV. Don't need one.

Quote:

The Apple TV already supports Netflix.

Oh, you know I'm talking about Ultraviolet; come on, now.