Do you think there be a iPad 2HD/3 coming out soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Family member is wanting a iPad 2 but its a little difficult to say "yeah get it!" with all the rumors of a updated/new version coming out/possibly announced in a few months. So whats your opinion? Do you believe it will come out as rumored or its just another rumor that ends up wrong?

Trying to get my bearings on what the apple community thinks on the topic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

2011 is the year of iPad 2.

Thread.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Cause hes trust worthy... Half of his quotes from his last conference were incorrect stats and incorrect jabs at Android. Would a iPad 3/2HD be bought if it came out in 4 months? Oh man yes...so would they make money? OOOOH man yes...so do i put it past a CEO to say something then do something opposite to make money? OOOOh no i dont. So quotes from him are pointless.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Cause hes trust worthy... Half of his quotes from his last conference were incorrect stats and incorrect jabs at Android.

Pretty sure a company doesn't get to be the second most valuable in the world by lying.

Quote:

Would a iPad 3/2HD be bought if it came out in 4 months? Oh man yes...so would they make money? OOOOH man yes...

Would trust in Apple be forever shattered in the public opinion? Yes. So they won't.

Quote:

so do i put it past a CEO to say something then do something opposite to make money? OOOOh no i dont. So quotes from him are pointless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

We're going to make an iPad 3 this year.

WHOOPS THERE GOES THE ARGUMENT.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Please don't try to twist a comment made about iPad into something that never was said nor implied.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pretty sure a company doesn't get to be the second most valuable in the world by lying.

Long term honesty is best policy. However sometimes they need to deflect or compromise the competition.

Quote:

Would trust in Apple be forever shattered in the public opinion? Yes. So they won't.

This is absolute BS, I really don't understand why people are so damn thick about what was said. Saying that this year is the year of the iPad say nothing about the possibility that other iPads will or won't be released this year. I'm not sure how people can even parse that phrase into meaning such. It is just plain ignorant to do so.

I'd actually liked to see somebody post a reasonable explanation of why they take that phrase to mean it is impossible for Apple to introduce new iPads this year. In all the forums I watch I've yet to see one decomposition that is reasonable or logical.

Quote:

WHOOPS THERE GOES THE ARGUMENT.

The problem with people using this quote is that they irrationally turn the phrase into something it never said. What is worst is that even when this is pointed out they stick to their guns.

Steve implied that 2011 will be the year of iPad 2. Frankly that is a prediction of great success for the new iPad. No where in that statement does it say anything about no new iOS devices in 2011. Anybody with a reasonable grasp of the market would realize that there is significant potential for more hardware. In any event any argument made against new iPads this year based on this phrase are irrational.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Steve implied that 2011 will be the year of iPad 2. No where in that statement does it say anything about no new iOS devices in 2011.

I don't know of a single person making that argument. Do you have a quote link?

We're making the argument against a new model of iPad only.

Quote:

Saying that this year is the year of the iPad say nothing about the possibility that other iPads will or won't be released this year.

That's absolutely correct. But he didn't say this is "the year of the iPad". He said this is "the year of iPad 2". Implying that model. Implying ONE model.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    To date we have had exactly two models of the iPad. From what I can see they would have liked to get iPad 2 out sooner. So there is no history to suggest updates will stick to one time period.

The second issue is that it makes a lot of sense for Apple to update iOS devices all at the same time. This avoids software issues with special iOS releases. Beyond that iOS devices are actually a family of devices so why nit update them at the same time.

Third being highly consumer oriented the iPad would benefit from pre holidays releases. It would give buyers the confidence that the device won't be updated three weeks into January. It is no surprise that iPods get updated when they do.

Most importantly this poll sucks due to the lack of a third option. That one is the option that says I really don't know and tire of the rational that says it is impossible because Steve said "xyz". The reality is Apple is a business and as such will move forward with new hardware when it makes sense. Oh by the way when it makes sense to them, not the average blog poster.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

I don't know of a single person making that argument. Do you have a quote link?

Huh?

Quote:

We're making the argument against a new model of iPad only.

That's absolutely correct. But he didn't say this is "the year of the iPad". He said this is "the year of iPad 2". Implying that model. Implying ONE model.

You can twist that phrase all you want but in the end you are still wrong. All the phrase did is, correctly in my mind, predict great success for the iPad. You can't rational twist that into Steve saying there will be no new iPads this year.

Look I don't really care if a new iPad surfaces this year or not, it really doesn't matter to me right now. What bothers me is people latching onto and twisting something somebody said into something it can't possible mean. I see this inability to comprehend what is said all the time, it can be very frustrating to deal with.

Further Steve does not normally speak in code at these events. If he wanted people to believe there would be no possibility of new iPads in 2011 he would simply have said that.

I can see good reasons for Apple wanting to sync up iPad releases with the iOS/iPad releases. That doesn't mean that I have insider info, rather as a business one could make an argument that an update in the fall could make sense for the long term. Wether or not such an update takes place has nothing to do with that little phrase Steve uttered.

In any event you failed, like everyone else, to answer the question most important to this thread which is how can you twist what was said to mean something it doesn't. Look at the phrase with more than a passing glance, no where does it say no new iPads in 2011. It is a fundamental problem as I see it as people read things into the words that just aren't there.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Huh?

I mean to ask if could you quote someone here who has said that (or on any other site, I guess).

Quote:

What bothers me is people latching onto and twisting something somebody said into something it can't possible mean.

Like you are. By saying that the only thing it does is"predict great success for the iPad".

Quote:

If he wanted people to believe there would be no possibility of new iPads in 2011 he would simply have said that.

Now THAT I don't buy.

Quote:

Look at the phrase with more than a passing glance, no where does it say no new iPads in 2011.

Quote:

...twist that phrase...

So the Chinese "Year of the Dragon" must mean that it's not JUST the year of the dragon but also could potentially be the year of the Dog, Rabbit, Tiger, Ox, or any of the other animals because they haven't explicitly stated the dragon will be the only animal this year.

I don't think we're the ones twisting the phrase.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    This poll is for me to get a clue as to what the Apple community thinks about if there will be a iPad 3. I had not read any quotes or anything, i had just read a article here and see a title of one there, that said "Possible iPad 3/2HD Q4 2011" and i wanted to see what the community thought cause my sis plans on buying a iPad 2. However it seems this community kinda blows, this post has you two argueing back and forth about what Jobs said and what it meant or didnt mean. And i have gotten 4! poll responses. I shouldn't be surprised considering this is a Apple forum, but its sad over on [H]ardforum i can get more replies (and way more helpful, and kind) about apple products than here on a Apple forum. 772 people have looked at this thread and im sure all 772 have a opinion on if there will be a iPad 3 or not this year yet clicking "yes" or "no" then the Vote button (takes 5 seconds tops) is too much work for Apple fan boys. All im trying to do is help out my sister and 772 just glance and walk by and 3 stop to argue specifics and meanings while NObody actually helps. I could honestly get more help from a Android forum about the iPad 3 chances of coming out this year or not. Might as well cancel my account here.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

I mean to ask if could you quote someone here who has said that (or on any other site, I guess).

Like you are. By saying that the only thing it does is"predict great success for the iPad".

my take on the phrase would not be uncommon in the business/marketing world. The whole point of product launches is to create a lot of positive energy around an item.

Quote:

Now THAT I don't buy.

So the Chinese "Year of the Dragon" must mean that it's not JUST the year of the dragon but also could potentially be the year of the Dog, Rabbit, Tiger, Ox, or any of the other animals because they haven't explicitly stated the dragon will be the only animal this year.

You still don't get it do you? Even if it is the year of the dragon that doesn't prevent the celebration of anything else important. A couple that celibrates their first child's birth hardly cares what years it is on the Chinese calendar. It may be the year of the dragon but that isn't what is important to them.

Like wise Apple announcing a new iPad this year would take nothing away from the declaration that this is the year of iPad2.

Quote:

I don't think we're the ones twisting the phrase.

I'm not twisting anything rather I'm not reading into the phrase points that are not there. This is the most important part of the conversation, because I really don't care if another iPad comes out this years. I'm more bothered by this stretch to read something into a phrase that isn't there. So I ask again how do you decipher the phrase to mean no new iPads this year?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    No, and the reason is because the iPad 2 is really good. This was the iPad everyone was waiting for. The original iPad was "wait and see" but this one definitely is not. You can tell just by picking it up. It has a standard, settled feel to it, refined, carefully crafted after much study. It tells you that its a product that's here to stay for a while and you're going to want one.

Consider the iPhone 4. It's 14 months old and they're selling MORE iPhones now at this point than history says if they introduced a new one. The iPad 2 is going to make a lot more money before its replacement arrives.