Google complains of patent attacks upon Android from Apple, Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Maybe no individual component was brand new, but ask any person who used a smartphone before iPhone came around and they will very gladly say Apple had something new and vastly better than anything in the industry.

Better? The original iPhone was missing basic functionality that was standard on pre-existing smartphones, and has taken them until now to implement some of them.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Google proves itself once again to be THE new evil. They have borrowed (stolen) IP heavily from others, given it away for free, and then cry out that they are innovating and that its all about open source. The company is perpetuating a huge scam and myth when it comes to android, all the while harvesting our personal data without compensating us for it, and selling it's use to others for BILLIONS through their advertising model.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Google's lawyers state, and I quote, "A patent isn?t innovation. It?s the right to block someone else from innovating." Did these guys actually go to law school and are they licensed to practice law? They've got to be kidding. A patent is for the protection of innovation - of unique and innovative ideas - and to prevent others from stealing those ideas. If google wants to innovate, then they need to invent, not steal. Google is THE new evil.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxijazz View Post

It is excellent diagram showing how efficient Google is in sinking billions in failed projects, just another evidence what we already know, that they had very few successfull ventures in recent years.

If Google is so "good at developing good technology" so why they have to copy everything around?

Why 97% of their income is from ads, not from "good technology? Why most their products are used only because they are for free? You know what, they are innovative in ads business only, because it earns money for them. They give products for free, because they don't care about them, only about ads income when people use product. This is why they don't like patents, it make impossible to give products for free.

+1.

Drummond's sad little bleat is yet another example of the archetypical Big Lie characteristic of Google's PR machine, but Google has taken over the Great Copycat mantle formerly owned by MS. Predictably, a proportion of the populace swallow this fantasy whole and indiscriminately.

To try to conclude from the graph of R&D expenditure that Apple has taken any ideas from other companies is absurd beyond belief - simply, there is no evidence on which to conclude that from the figures. On the contrary, the fact that the least productive and successful company on the list - MS - is throwing away so many billions and achieving so little must be a clue about the part R&D really plays in a company's success. One of the reasons they are spending so much is to play catch up with Apple. That's working, not.
  • Reply 45 of 124
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

How much to license the patents behind Google's search algorithm? You're right that Google would probably be cheap with the Nortel and Novell patents, because they don't care about the mobile OS business per se. Its not where they make their money. But they sure get pissy when Bing copies their search results.

Except they don't have patents on their Search algorithms. It's a trade secret, like the Coca cola or KFC recipe.
  • Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Better? The original iPhone was missing basic functionality that was standard on pre-existing smartphones, and has taken them until now to implement some of them.

And that's why they were critically panned and didn't sell... oh, wait.

I recently bought a Kia Soul. It doesn't have in-dash navigation, full climate control, it can't tow a thing, and has only a 4-speed automatic transmission. Doesn't mean it's not an awesome car that for myself and a heck of a lot of other people is a far better choice than most SUVs and hatchbacks on the market. A product doesn't need to do everything every prior comparable product did to be better.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    sumjuansumjuan Posts: 27member
    https://twitter.com/#!/BradSmi/status/98902130412355585

Google apparently turned down a partnership with Microsoft to bid on the Nortel patents.

I wonder who else they turned down while trying to figure out how to bid pi?
  • Reply 48 of 124
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

Except they don't have patents on their Search algorithms. It's a trade secret, like the Coca cola or KFC recipe.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1024-986204.html

They do have patents for part of it. Either way, the point stands.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    Alas! Poor me! I have vowed to do no evil and what is my reward - patent infringement lawsuits from most of the larger high tech companies that compete in the same space. I must post a blog and complain about unfairly I am being treated. I attempt to innovate and move technology forward and all I get is legal harrassment.

Hmm? Could it be that I have knowingly and willingly stoled patently technology from others? Even if true, I give all my software away for free without profit to myself (Unless you count more clicks for my search engine. I will certainly call my friends in the Administration and get this rectified ASAP. I cannot stand being plundered by those evil executives at Microsoft, Apple and, Oracle. Vengeance will be mine!
  • Reply 50 of 124
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Right. Because Google is the underdog, a victim of conspiracies against them.

That's what happens when you believe your own hype about not being evil

The real problem is what happens with a genuine underdog? Companies like Google and Apple can easily find a few billion dollars down the back of the sofa so losing a major patent case isn't going to make much of a dent.

But what about small companies with great ideas? Modern software and electronic devices are so complex and affected by so many different patents that it is almost guaranteed that whenever you build something new someone is going claim that you are infringing on a patent. But the small company doesn't have armies of lawyers, billions in case and a large portfolio of their own patents with which to fight back.

The current patent system allows big companies to do whatever they like whilst small companies are unable to compete.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Everyone should listen to the 'This American Life' episode on patents:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...patents-attack

Software patents are a nightmarish threat to innovation. Copyrights protect expression, that should be enough to protect a developer against blatant copying of the expression of an idea. Imagine if novels could be patented. No, sorry, you can't write about vampires - I patented that.

Click a button to buy something? That's patented. Ok fine, let's patent 'click a button to <insert any possible action that hasn't been patented yet>.

Just think of the brilliance and engineering - patenting a touch that does something on a touch screen. Wow! I think I will patent a six finger touch gesture, so if future six-fingered mutants appear I'll be able to sue anyone who tries to use it.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    sumjuansumjuan Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

It actually is patented.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6285999

From Wikipedia

The name "PageRank" is a trademark of Google, and the PageRank process has been patented (U.S. Patent 6,285,999). However, the patent is assigned to Stanford University and not to Google. Google has exclusive license rights on the patent from Stanford University. The university received 1.8 million shares of Google in exchange for use of the patent; the shares were sold in 2005 for $336 million.

• Reply 53 of 124
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I'm writing a screenplay, called "Stellar Wars", about a young farm boy who wields his father's laser axe in support of a rebellion against the evil Galactic Emirates.

I admit it sounds a lot like Star Wars but I assure you this is complete coincidence.

Don't worry about it because, as I understand it, the "tools" that you're using to create this masterpiece are simply the letters of the alphabet and, as we all know, they have been around "forever" so therefore you cannot be accused of stealing.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Am I reading this correctly?

Don't waste your time. A brief look at the posting history of "Apple v. Samsung" will tell you all you need to know about what one can expect from this character ..... and it isn't pretty.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:

If the original iPhone was so bad in your opinion, why was everyone and their dog tripping all over themselves trying to copy it? ... and it's still going on .... and still not very successfully, I might add.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

I'm writing a screenplay, called "Stellar Wars", about a young farm boy who wields his father's laser axe in support of a rebellion against the evil Galactic Emirates.

I admit it sounds a lot like Star Wars but I assure you this is complete coincidence.

Except that would be a copyright issue not a patent one.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobdillon69 View Post

OH PLEASE

Apple isn't an R&D driven company, the reason they generate much more profit is because they are the ones "borrowing" from other's research and development, look at iOS 5.

Google is good at developing good technology, but failed miserably to protect their IP. Apple won at patents, they're playing the broken system to win while Google had its head up its a** innovating.

Google may be right but it doesn't matter, the law isn't on their side, Apple army of lawyers will find every way to piggy back on their success. Another win for MS/Apple duo.

Too funny. That graph, if true shows MS need to fire a lot of ppl,
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobdillon69 View Post

OH PLEASE

Apple isn't an R&D driven company, ......

What nonsense. Look at who's on top of that list -- that alone tells you how valid this metric is.

What passes off under the "R&D" budget in many tech firms (similarly, big pharma firms) is a joke. Almost all of it is "D", not "R". And D covers a broad swathe, such as golf outings at pointless conferences......

That said, the most important missing piece of data from your chart is "A&D" -- acquisition & development. Apple does a brilliant job of identifying solid technologies early (e.g., Soundjam), acquiring them, nurturing them, and taking them to a different level.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Except that would be a copyright issue not a patent one.

I think you're just splitting hairs on that one. Ultimately trademark, copyright, patent, etc are all synonymous, use changing depending on the product being referred to (name, literal work, manufactured item).
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:

It must be full of despair to inhabit your world, given how remarkably successful Apple and the iPhone have become....