Lookout, Retrevo warn of growing Android malware epidemic, note Apple's iOS is far safer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

serious?

What ever, I've zero sympathy for droid heads.

So you completely ignored the ENTIRE rest of the thread where we establish multiple times the sarcasm of the post.

Much less having ignored the marijuana-smoking emoticon implying sarcasm.

While it's possible his meaning would have been clearer if he had used the proper punctuation for sarcasm, I seriously doubt it⸮​

I mean, there's no possible way that the proper punctuation would have ever been better⸮​
  • Reply 22 of 52
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Security firm Lookout is sounding alarm of a growing trend

"while [Android] malware has increased at a faster rate then spyware, Android users are still slightly more likely to encounter spyware than malware." [/c]

sounding the alarm

Right use and wrong use in one sentence:

faster rate then spyware = incorrect

spyware than malware = correct
  • Reply 23 of 52
    All warm and cozy in my walled garden.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Really the virus thing is a joke. Just like windows the average user does not have to worry about viruses. I have only gotten one virus, let me tell you that is with getting two emails from my university telling me I am using to much download bandwidth, one threat from time Warner. To put things into perspective I download alot. Only virus I ever got was on my old blackberry. Never had any issues with windows seven and kepresky (free with my motherboard) or my current Android phone and not with the tablet in my hand. Of course ifvyou adopted a market based system to deliver Apps you run the risk of having some ass-hat making a malicious software. Good thing is google is quick to react and remove the Apps when they are reported and removing them.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JVP View Post

iOS is only more secure since it has lower market share than Android. Once iOS market share increases closer to that of Android, it will see far more virii and malware since it is not more inherently secure on the os level...

Love it... what a classic response!
  • Reply 26 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Really the virus thing is a joke. Just like windows the average user does not have to worry about viruses. I have only gotten one virus, let me tell you that is with getting two emails from my university telling me I am using to much download bandwidth, one threat from time Warner. To put things into perspective I download alot. Only virus I ever got was on my old blackberry. Never had any issues with windows seven and kepresky (free with my motherboard) or my current Android phone and not with the tablet in my hand. Of course ifvyou adopted a market based system to deliver Apps you run the risk of having some ass-hat making a malicious software. Good thing is google is quick to react and remove the Apps when they are reported and removing them.

Yup it's a joke that everyone that uses a PC has to use antivirus. Good thing Google is still allowing the Android Marketplace to be rampantly uncontrolled but quick to react... Once people report apps.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    jvpjvp Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Your link suggests it is difficult to indicate sarcasm on the Internet without some indication of humor, such as a smiley face. You might want to look at the post again.

To be fair, I didn't add the smiley until later - did intentionally leave it out to see what kind of response it would get. His reference to Poe's law was a valid one.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    j.r.j.r. Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Good thing is google is quick to react and remove the Apps when they are reported and removing them.

Prevention (so that these apps never make it to the market) would be infinitely better.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup it's a joke that everyone that uses a PC has to use antivirus. Good thing Google is still allowing the Android Marketplace to be rampantly uncontrolled but quick to react... Once people report apps.

Agree with the 2nd point, the first however depends on what type of AV software. Are we talking 3rd party like Norton, AVG, Malwarebytes? Because even then while the overwhelming amount of windows users DO use AV software, taken literally your statement would be false.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

Prevention (so that these apps never make it to the market) would be infinitely better.

Agree 100%
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Really the virus thing is a joke.

I want to know how much of this malware is actually a Virus and how much are just Trojans.

Nothing is immune from Trojans, Viruses are a different story...
  • Reply 31 of 52
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Only 1 virus that you know about.

Love that kepresky.

Love that university education!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    I think that the problem with the Android Market is that it's way too easy to install something suspicious if you don't know what you are doing. That's why I downloaded a virus protection program on my Android. I haven't found anything yet, but I'd rather be one step ahead of the game, and if I do loose my phone I can find it. the IOS on the other hand restricts things all over the place and gets quality software in their market. IMHO I think the best solution would be to have a closed Android Market that is only closed in the sense "we make sure your app isn't malicious and works as intended and we'll let you lin". If they do that it might solve lots of issues.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    I think good things are coming constantly from Apple, so there should be no need to publish such rubbish as this "article" in order to make people here feel good. Even if there was a grain of truth in the FUD above, those who should care about it are likely not on AppleInsider... Do you think Android users give a sh8t about this "epidemic"? Probably just as little as any iOS user about the recurrent browser exploits...
  • Reply 34 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

That's why I downloaded a virus protection program on my Android...

Welcome to 1991!
  • Reply 35 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

... That's why I downloaded a virus protection program on my Android...

Having to load anti-virus on a phone. How sad is that. Yet the phandroid community finds this acceptable.

Welcome to Android people. The mobile version of Windows XP!!! No wonder they will need quad-core and higher CPU's to handle all the bloatware that will have to be running just to keep the handset from being compromised!!

So sad...
  • Reply 36 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    So a company selling anti-malware software reckons that malware is on the rise?

I am shocked. /SARCASM
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Unfortunately the author of this article has repeatedly shown that he can't be trusted as impartial in this kind of report.

Whatever te reality is, it will be far less extreme than presented here.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JVP View Post

To be fair, I didn't add the smiley until later - did intentionally leave it out to see what kind of response it would get. His reference to Poe's law was a valid one.

The real problem is that Poe forgot to include a winking smiley at the end of his statement of Poe's Law.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Any unbiased comparison of iOS, Android and malware would have to conclude that Android users have more to be concerned about than Apple users. No doubt about that at all. It doesn't mean iOS is immune, but Apple's closed loop certainly keeps any malware dangers to a minimum.

At the same time, is the danger of malware infection really that high if users stay to the official Android Market? Personally I don't think so. There's been billions of app downloads from Google's Android Market, yet just a comparatively tiny number of users affected by malware infecting any of those applications. At least so far. . .
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Any unbiased comparison of iOS, Android and malware would have to conclude that Android users have more to be concerned about than Apple users. No doubt about that at all. It doesn't mean iOS is immune, but Apple's closed loop certainly keeps any malware dangers to a minimum.

At the same time, is the danger of malware infection really that high if users stay to the official Android Market? Personally I don't think so. There's been billions of app downloads from Google's Android Market, yet just a comparatively tiny number of users affected by malware infecting any of those applications. At least so far. . .

I actually agree with you. I read about this on Ars Technica yesterday and didn't really see anything that was really that newsworthy. What I personally find disconcerting is the fact that there have been actual apps on Google's marketplace that did in fact contain malware and that Google has had to use their "nuclear option" of removing apps directly from people's phones. That is simply unacceptable when dealing with consumers. Do I think it is impossible for something like that to happen to Apple? Nope. That flashlight app that allowed people to tether showed me that not even Apple is immune to potential malware. But I DO think that there is less of a chance of that happening in Apple's "walled garden" because it is much easier to track the developer who created a suspicious app.

Just my $.02