Inside iCloud: Apple's new web services for iOS and Mac OS X Lion

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Ughh... it's tiring putting up with some of your stuff.

If that were the case then why post? Just move to next post, thread or site.

Quote:

.mac is at least still relevant to Apple. They will continue to sell Macs for the foreseeable future, and they have several decades invested in the brand name.

.me will have no link to any existing Apple product in 9 months time, and will only be a reminder of that self-professed debacle called MobileMe.

I agree. To me, .Mac email address is sort of cherished. Also, I don't ask people if they're on an Apple at home, I ask if they're on a Mac.

Quote:

Having 4 numbered points doesn't make your point impressive.

Well, maybe not. But he does back up his claims with facts, numbers and/or links. Something I ought to do (insert some smiley here)
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino View Post

Also missing in iCloud: email aliases

As of right after the announcement you could no longer edit, add, or delete email aliases (the decoy addresses to use for shopping or site registrations) in MobileMe. I will miss this if it doesn't get added to iCloud later on.

Really? Wow. I thought losing Gallery & iDisk was *&%^#$#. Now this. Hmm, the rest better be good then. Maybe one can still upload other than iWork files by suffixing files with .pages or whatever. Anyhoo, I won't be migrating my MM account to iCloud the moment it's released. I'll read the informative posts from y'all first!
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Facebook is now the medium of choice for sharing photos and videos.

Facebook becomes the owner of the file once uploaded. No thanks, I don't want my photo's seen used elsewhere by them. And if you download a pic or vid from there site the metadata is stripped (and the creation date is altered).

Facebook? No thanks!
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydrew View Post

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Thanks for including a link to a larger view instead of making the page 12 feet wide
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

What does Outlook do that Mail, Calendars and Address Book don't do?

Crash
  • Reply 46 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Really? Wow. I thought losing Gallery & iDisk was *&%^#$#. Now this. Hmm, the rest better be good then. Maybe one can still upload other than iWork files by suffixing files with .pages or whatever. Anyhoo, I won't be migrating my MM account to iCloud the moment it's released. I'll read the informative posts from y'all first!

I don't think this is an issue unless I'm missing something. Now that @me.com addresses are free you can simply create a new iCloud account and then forward any mail from that address to your preferred account.

edit: Proof!
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think this is an issue unless I'm missing something. Now that @me.com addresses are free you can simply create a new iCloud account and then forward any mail from that address to your preferred account.

Aha! Informative as ever, I just shouldn't take things at face value. Thanks
  • Reply 48 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Web Gallery is the one thing I'll really dislike losing. Having the ability to upload photos to it right from iPhoto, and movies up to it right from iMovie, was very convenient and allowed friends and family around the world to see photos and videos of mine all in one easy to use place. It's obvious that I'm in the minority when it comes to using this service, and most likely don't care about sharing photos and videos with family members and friends, but it was well integrated into iLife and it made it easy to do. I guess Apple will have to erase those features from iPhoto and iMovie and replace them with nothing.

After iWeb/MobileMe hosting, gallery is the second feature I'll miss most. See my later post to someone else for details.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Facebook is now the medium of choice for sharing photos and videos. They made it so simple that everybody is using this feature. It used to be only for the most technically inclined to get your galleries on the Web. Facebook made it possible for most technically challenged. Like it or not, Facebook killed all other companies' attempt to hold any significant share in that "market". Apple doesn't want to expend resources on something that will compete with Facebook but will bring no significant revenue. I don't blame them - it's a smart way to do business. Google will be chasing all these "opportunities" notwithstanding low potential revenue streams. That's why everything that Google has is in Beta except their search, ads, and a few other products.

When my friends and family go to my photos and videos on my MobileMe Gallery they are immediately presented with a nice, neat, clear, and easy to view black-backgound light table from which they can view, download or add to my images. When I open my Facebook page I see a chaotic mess with messages, postings, ads, and junk all over the place. And oh yes, some little thumbnails up in the corner. Facebook tries to be all things to all people, Gallery does one thing and does it supremely well. What is so much easier about posting images to Facebook than simply clicking on the Share button in iPhoto? Facebook may be taking over, but it is the devolution of personal image sharing. It's not better, it's just the cockroaches inheriting the earth.

Bitter, table for one.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: Proof!

It looks like aliases will be available on iCloud soon enough

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4632from apples support pages:

Currently active email aliases will continue to work for sending and receiving emails.

The ability to add, delete, or change an email alias will be available for MobileMe members that move to iCloud, once it is available this fall.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Your poor, poor Mac...

Outlook is the epitome of taking a simple task and creating a piece of software that makes that task look like a lunar landing. What does Outlook do that Mail, Calendars and Address Book don't do?

I've no idea - I don't use Mail, Calendars or Address Book. The geeks in our IT department handed over a Mac with Outlook installed, and I actually rather like having everything in one place rather than three different applications.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Calling iCloud an evolution of MobileMe is a pretty nice way to cover up Apple's world-wide 100% product recall.

Even though it's software, they just couldn't fix the problems that were damaging people's data.

I hope that Steve Jobs is right when he describes iCloud as a total re-write from the ground up.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In short, I don't take quite as jaundiced a view of Apple's record on change as you do. But I do fault them for this one. The web as a medium for communication is just too fundamental to trash this way.

You want RapidWeaver, then. I went from teaching myself basic HTML just to build my own simple websites to using iWeb about two years ago. Though iWeb was easy to use, its abilities were far too limited. Still, for me, it was better than using the powerful but very confusing/buggy DreamWeaver. RapidWeaver splits the middle and lets you design sites using a GUI, much like iWeb, except that RapidWeaver is significantly more powerful. In addition, if you purchase a relatively inexpensive website template (http://seydesign.com has some great ones), you'll have about 80% to 90% of the work done for you. Any further work you need to put into your site can be accomplished by hand or through free to cheap ($20) add-ons.

I know this sounds like an ad for RapidWeaver, but it's not. That app has practically changed my life. It's everything iWeb should have ever been.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    laleslales Posts: 33member
    Well, the migration WILL be a bit of a pain for me. As a video editor, I used iDisk for sharing many sound and fx elements (motion files, FCP project files, even completed short form mov files of completed projects). Not to mention critical Quicken, and now Moneywell files. Okay, so I need to move to Dropbox...

HOWEVER.. I also used iWeb to create my website (hosted by Apple, but with a domain name through Yahoo). So even though I started with an iWeb template, the final site now looks NOTHING like any iWeb template. I know I can export my site to a folder, but then what? I'm not sure I want to (or have the time) to now learn Dreamweaver. My questions are: What now? Who do I give my exported files to? I saw 2 hosting sites recommended. Do I supply them with my exported folder? Any additional hosting sites that can be recommended?

While I can easily cope with the loss of iDisk, the EOL of iWeb is what gives me pause.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Facebook becomes the owner of the file once uploaded. No thanks, I don't want my photo's seen used elsewhere by them. And if you download a pic or vid from there site the metadata is stripped (and the creation date is altered).

Facebook? No thanks!

Sigh...

Facebook doesn't OWN () your image once uploaded, they get a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to display and modify your images. They need this to re-compress your images for their servers and then show those images to your friends.

The problem is that Facebook worded their EULA in a way that people freaked out about it. If you check, I'm sure Apple has similar license agreements that you're saying yes to when you use their services as well.

Now, I agree that Facebook is not the ideal way to share photos?the metadata stripping sucks and their JPEG compression looks horrid in many cases?but to say "no thanks" because they'll "own" your photos is pretty misguided.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Sigh...

Facebook doesn't OWN () your image once uploaded, they get a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to display and modify your images. They need this to re-compress your images for their servers and then show those images to your friends.

The problem is that Facebook worded their EULA in a way that people freaked out about it. If you check, I'm sure Apple has similar license agreements that you're saying yes to when you use their services as well.

Now, I agree that Facebook is not the ideal way to share photos?the metadata stripping sucks and their JPEG compression looks horrid in many cases?but to say "no thanks" because they'll "own" your photos is pretty misguided.

Thanks for pointing that out. I now read their updated policy. I'm pasting a snippet of it here:

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).

When you use an application, your content and information is shared with the application. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, read our Privacy Policy and Platform Page.)

When you publish content or information using the everyone setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).

We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

• Reply 57 of 58
    Any word on using your own domain with iCloud email?
  • Reply 58 of 58
    I am trying to get information about server hosting. While searching on the web I found a site http://www.inetservices.com/ that talks about dedicated server hosting. But I really didn't get what is [url=http://www.inetservices.com/]dedicated hosting servers[/url] . Could can anyone describe about dedicated server hosting.