Apple takes aim at copycat fake retail stores with new lawsuit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Steve believes in Eastern Mysticism and it looks like there may be something to it. The more wacky Apple gets the more he looks like death warmed over.

Steve, don't look now but it looks like Karma's catching up with ya. Keep it up and you will be pushing up daisies!

Very distasteful.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

... That Apple Story store looks NOTHING like an Apple Store. Where do they get off on suing these guys. So no we need to add the word Apple (Not Apple Computers, not Apple, Inc.), just Apple...to the "hands-off" list. Disgusting. No, Apple is not loosing money, nor are the customers "confused" as to whether this is an official Apple Store or not. Nonetheless, I am sure that will be part of Apple's complaint.

The store knowingly plays on Apple's trademarks. The very fact that it has two large displays that look like iPhones and the name of the store differs by one letter (Apple Store vs. Apple Story) in that neighborhood is bound to confuse many. Hell, it made me do a double-take when I first saw it a few weeks ago. After spending just a few minutes inside, I'm pretty sure that much of their merchandise is gray market at best. And the one receipt I saw a customer receive after a small purchase gives me the impression that this may not even be a legitimate store: the receipt did not have a store name and did not have a telephone number printed on it. I don't recall seeing a written return policy or tax ID notice anywhere.

I suspect this store will be closed very, very soon or it will radically change its look.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

I have used Apple computers since 1985 and I have about had it with their strong-arm tactics the last few years. I am seriously considering giving up on Apple products entirely. That Apple Story store looks NOTHING like an Apple Store. Where do they get off on suing these guys. So no we need to add the word Apple (Not Apple Computers, not Apple, Inc.), just Apple...to the "hands-off" list. Disgusting. No, Apple is not loosing money, nor are the customers "confused" as to whether this is an official Apple Store or not. Nonetheless, I am sure that will be part of Apple's complaint.

Yet, even the employees in the China knock-off stores thought they were working for Apple Inc.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011...g-up-in-china/

"BirdAbroad says, ?We struck up a conversation with these salespeople who, hand to God, all genuinely think they work for Apple.? As she tried to take some photos of the store, five employees approached and asked her to stop. However, after she implied she and a companion were Apple employees visiting from America, the staff turned friendly and allowed her to snap some photos. "
  • Reply 24 of 37
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

In his job to get out 10 posts a day, he hardly has time to read the article or the thread. See his post in yesterday's thread on QuickTime for Windows and Leopard.

Thanks for that. I missed that thread altogether, but thanks to you I didn't miss that tidbit. You gotta hand it to AppleLover2 .... if you don't take him seriously, he's always good for a laugh ..... and laughter is the best medicine, don't cha know.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Thanks for that. I missed that thread altogether, but thanks to you I didn't miss that tidbit. You gotta hand it to AppleLover2 .... if you don't take him seriously, he's always good for a laugh ..... and laughter is the best medicine, don't cha know.

I'll take your advice on that, thanks right back.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

I have used Apple computers since 1985 and I have about had it with their strong-arm tactics the last few years. I am seriously considering giving up on Apple products entirely. That Apple Story store looks NOTHING like an Apple Store. Where do they get off on suing these guys. So no we need to add the word Apple (Not Apple Computers, not Apple, Inc.), just Apple...to the "hands-off" list. Disgusting. No, Apple is not loosing money, nor are the customers "confused" as to whether this is an official Apple Store or not. Nonetheless, I am sure that will be part of Apple's complaint.

What are you going to switch to? Windows? You do know that Microsoft is just as bad, if not worse than Apple, right? It's called business. Whenever reports come out about Apple having more than 50% of smartphone profits, people say that those who praise Apple are stupid since they seem to like getting ripped off. Essentially, they are arguing that profitability does not do anything for them as a consumer. The flip side should be true. How should Apple's "strong-arm tactics" affect you as a consumer?

Never mind that, though. Despite all your soapbox speeches, you would do the exact same thing in Apple's position and you know it.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    OK. I've gone and done it. I've saved a pic of horizontal "Apple employee" from China. The pic just cracks me up. The guy looks so smug, so sure that he is an Apple employee and that we are all lesser humans! It's just too hilarious to pass.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnexpectedBill View Post

It should be interesting to see how the whole "fake store" thing plays out.

A fake courtroom that doesn't even have any relevance in China seems oddly appropriate for this.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    The salesman in the lower picture wearing the blue shirt is just too cool. How could Apple with a clear conscience want to put him out of work? Take another look at the salesman and you'll see what I mean.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

It was my understanding that the fake store in China was selling authentic Apple products.

The obvious questions that don't seem to be answered are:

1) Are they an Authorized Re-seller

2) If not, how do they obtain the products

3) Did I read somewhere that their prices match Apple's listed online prices?

4) If so, how do they obtain the products at a low enough cost to earn a profit?

5) If the answers above lead to buying and selling stolen goods, where is the investigation into criminal activity?

6) Let's assume you are an Authorized Re-seller. Would you be able to design your store any way you like? What requirements would Apple put on the appearance of your store? Beyond requiring a clear sign that says "Authorized Re-seller" - would Apple dictate that you not use wood tables, not display the products and encourage you to sell other things that Apple doesn't approve of?

7) Let's assume another Authorized Re-seller. Have a po-dunk small store as the official "Front" of your operations. Get enough product to stock 3 stores. Your other 2 stores you copy cat Apple and that's where you really sell your product, while the 1st and only official re-seller store is where you maintain your Apple relationship. Is that possible?

Plenty of authorized resellers here in Australia have renovated their stores in recent years to make them look more like Apple Stores. This whole story is a fairly ridiculous media beat up.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently you didn't even bother to look at the photo of the "fake" blue shirt with a very prominent and realistic Apple Logo on the front. Now that you're armed with more accurate info ... do you still feel like laughing? Well, do you ?

Yes, I'm still laughing, more at you now though.

When you get to work later and they let you off the tills to tidy up, have a look down aisle 12 for a sense of humour.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Plenty of authorized resellers here in Australia have renovated their stores in recent years to make them look more like Apple Stores. This whole story is a fairly ridiculous media beat up.

Agreed. I've been in many authorized resellers around the world that look just like an Apple Store. And in China (including Taiwan) there seems to be a store exclusively selling Apple products on every block. This story has been so blown out of proportion.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Yes, I'm still laughing, more at you now though.

When you get to work later and they let you off the tills to tidy up, have a look down aisle 12 for a sense of humour.

Oooh .... did you think that up by yourself .... or did your mom help you ... again?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

It was my understanding that the fake store in China was selling authentic Apple products.

The obvious questions that don't seem to be answered are:

1) Are they an Authorized Re-seller

2) If not, how do they obtain the products

3) Did I read somewhere that their prices match Apple's listed online prices?

4) If so, how do they obtain the products at a low enough cost to earn a profit?

5) If the answers above lead to buying and selling stolen goods, where is the investigation into criminal activity?

6) Let's assume you are an Authorized Re-seller. Would you be able to design your store any way you like? What requirements would Apple put on the appearance of your store? Beyond requiring a clear sign that says "Authorized Re-seller" - would Apple dictate that you not use wood tables, not display the products and encourage you to sell other things that Apple doesn't approve of?

7) Let's assume another Authorized Re-seller. Have a po-dunk small store as the official "Front" of your operations. Get enough product to stock 3 stores. Your other 2 stores you copy cat Apple and that's where you really sell your product, while the 1st and only official re-seller store is where you maintain your Apple relationship. Is that possible?

Actually you are right on almost all counts. having just lost my Apple Warranty service provider contract i had with Apple Since 1999. All the shops have to fill out a form online by every Authorized shop asking for the shop to provide photos of the T Shirts the employees wear and to photos of the sales and repair areas. So if these guys are really resellers then they are doing nothing wrong and actually doing what Apple requires of them. the only think i know you can't use the word Apple or Mac as the name of your company. so you can't be Joe's mac shop but you can be Joe's Tech shop that is an Apple authorized reseller and repair shop.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

It makes me laugh that every time AI bring up the story of the fake Apple shops they can't help but mention the blue shirts.

"even wear signature blue t-shirts."

I doubt even Apple can stop retailers wearing blue shirts. I can just imagine the scenario...

"Hey Steve, we've just found a fake Apple shop, take a look at these pictures"

"OH MY GOD! They have even managed to get hold of our blue shirt technology"

Jeez, even I can fake a blue shirt, the Chinese copycats are way ahead of copying clothing.

But the only reason they are making “fake” blue t-shirts with the Apple logo is because they want the public to think they are dealing with the real Apple, Inc.

The stores are not trying to look similar to an Apple Store.

They are trying to pass themselves off as an Apple Store.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Very distasteful.

Agreed.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But the only reason they are making ?fake? blue t-shirts with the Apple logo is because they want the public to think they are dealing with the real Apple, Inc.

The stores are not trying to look similar to an Apple Store.

They are trying to pass themselves off as an Apple Store.

How can anyone not see this as the issue? I'd really hate to be on jury duty with the people here saying Apple is out of line. Some people are just incredibly dumb, I guess.

Take a deep breath, lamewing. Read that post fifty times.