Apple officially killing MobileMe sync for keychains, widgets, accounts, preferences

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    Clearly Apple hasn't been as successful with Gallery as, say, Facebook has been with photo sharing. I think Apple realizes this and really just wants to get your photos onto your mobile devices so that you can share them on Facebook (or somewhere else) with others.

I don't think we'll be deleting pictures from Photostream. It just... is. You can put photos into albums from it if you want, or just leave it be. It's only the last 1k pics, so no major storage hog.

My take is that Photostream is really just meant to facilitate having all your pics handy to post and share on other social sites.

I just wish I could add pics directly from my digital camera into Photostream without an iPhoto download first. Now THAT would be awesome.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Just wanted to throw in my vote for keeping Gallery intact. I use it all the time!! There are no other services out there that are as pretty or easy to use. Photo Stream sounds like it will be nice, but it should not be thought of as a replacement for Gallery. Totally different concepts.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbell52 View Post

To me this sucks for Mac people, when you look at the windows requirements, they get to use anything from vista forward, for us people that support Apple we have to be using Lion only. I have 2 machines at work that I can't load Lion on and have been using mobile me all this time to sync all my calendars, but not anymore thanks to Apple. They should give more flexibility to Apple users.

Clearly this issue seems to be getting little press, almost no push back and very little discussion in these forums... This effects MILLIONS of Macs users that can't move to LION and are stuck with NO SOLUTIONS! This seems more like a trick from Redmond than Cupertino... This truly sux...
  • Reply 64 of 127
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmel View Post

The keychain sync is incredibly useful and really fiddly to achieve any other way. It does seem that Apple is looking at this from the point of its own convenience rather than end-user utility.

I'll also miss iWeb. Handy for quickly running up pretty websites \

Any surprise here???

Apple's MO
  • Reply 65 of 127
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Man, I was so happy running 10.5.8 with my Mac.com account. I created TONS of great websites and published them soooo easily. I could uber sync my five Macs, no problems. Calendars, bookmarks, you name it. I had docs on my iDisk. The whole system was pro.

Now I'm like, holy cr*p I can't do any of the above. No more website publishing. No more Calendar syncing unless I upgrade first to Snow Leopard and then to Lion. And even then I won't get my websites back. Bummer.

I'm sad as an Apple user but glad as an Apple stockholder.

This stuff is becoming extinct like dodo birds:

Logic

FCP

iWeb creation

Website publishing

Mac OS

Pro Apps of any kind

Content creation

Niche "pro" market

Audio for audiophiles

Here's what seems to be Apple's future:

iOS only

Content consumption only

Mass market only

Maybe I'm just doing a grumpy rant. If so, my apologies to the great members of this forum.

I hope I'm wrong... but for now, Google syncing is my new best friend. Bummer.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While many of the features of MobileMe are simply being upgraded in the move to iCloud, Apple has previously noted that Gallery, iDisk and iWeb are on the chopping block. Now, the company has further made it clear that data sync features will also be canceled in its iCloud transition steps.

Lot of people seem to be second-guessing Steve here. But don't they remember that when Apple makes changes, we always learn eventually that they did the right thing?
  • Reply 67 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmel View Post

The keychain sync is incredibly useful and really fiddly to achieve any other way. It does seem that Apple is looking at this from the point of its own convenience rather than end-user utility.

It's not hard to backup manually or automatically to a location of your choice. The login.keychain file is located in ~/Library/Keychains.

One simple method is to use Lingon to do a backup of the login.keychain file to Dropbox everytime there is a change made to the file.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    What happens to "find my iPad/iPhone?" This was sold as being one of the great free features of MobileMe when you had an iPad or iPhone?
  • Reply 69 of 127
    zynikerzyniker Posts: 75member
    For those who enjoyed the features of MobileMe that seem to be on the chopping block: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

What happens to "find my iPad/iPhone?" This was sold as being one of the great free features of MobileMe when you had an iPad or iPhone?

It's still a feature. It also now includes Find My Mac for those with 10.7.2 and iCloud.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not hard to backup manually or automatically to a location of your choice. The login.keychain file is located in ~/Library/Keychains.

One simple method is to use Lingon to do a backup of the login.keychain file to Dropbox everytime there is a change made to the file.

If DropBox was a publicly traded company I would definitely be a buyer. iCloud is an utter disaster and I'm sure DropBox is anxious fill the void.

I use iDisk but I can easily switch over to DropBox where I already have an account. I also use Back to my Mac a lot but it is not too difficult to just vnc:// to get to the other machines as long as they are on a known IP.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am only guessing but I'd think there are two ways deleting across devices would occur. From the temporary and initial import stage and later from a universally shared album. I am sure once in an Aperture Library they would be immune from deletion from another device unless that album was designated as shared rather like a current galley does now. There would be no syncing as we now think of it, it would just happen.

Hmmm, are you sure? Why would the photo stream care or know whether Aperture is using it? Where does the photo stream even show up on the Mac, for that matter? In iPhoto? But no longer understanding galleries???

The whole 'it just works' doesn't sound like it just works in this case. I'd rather have a indicator on the photo thumbnails on each device indicating whether it's been 'shared' or not. But really, so what does it mean when you want to delete a shared photo? It's very counter-intuitive - what is a 'this device' semantic, what is global, can you control what you share (screen grab I just email to someone that doesn't need to be in my global library, or 3 versions of the same shot - I'll pick the good one to keep later, etc.).

I'm just not feeling the love on this one - oh, it's simple all right, but putting 'iPhoto' or 'iGallery' into the cloud with unlimited photo storage, galleries, controlled sharing, incoming box, and using that as a sync mechanism, etc., would have been nicer as far as I'm concerned. I'd pay for the damned storage - I mean, I already was!
  • Reply 73 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iCloud is an utter disaster...

Can you explain that position?
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I only sync bookmarks, contacts, and calendars. Seems those will all be in iCloud

If no calendar syncing I am goingbto be very upset. As is my wife. Especially after so much aggravation over these years.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you explain that position?

I could but it would be rather long winded and involve my dislike with many things in Lion as well as iCloud. Suffice it to say I do agree with almost every complaint already stated in threads of both topics.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Before I started really using 1Password, I would have really missed the keychain syncing. The rest - meh - I never did see the value in dock or system preferences - especially since my main two Mac's are a laptop and desktop where preferences for one often make no sense with the other.

But Keychain syncing was very useful.

Thank goodness they have kept bookmark syncing! That would be impossible to duplicate on iOS devices with the current SDK.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

How is this all going to effect 1Password users?

Less than those who aren't using 1Password!
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

"1Password - $40"

This is a one-time purchase cost, not a recurring fee.

Not only that but 1Password does so much more than simple password syncing that it should be a tool in every Mac or Windows users tool belt! How many people have one password on multiple sites?

With all the recent high profile compromises of sites, I would hope it's obvious now - more than ever before - that you MUST have a different password on each web site. 1Password makes that trivial.

I wish Apple would provide better paths for them to integrate with Safari and other developers on the iPhone, but it's still light years ahead of just having one or a few similar passwords on all of your accounts.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    this f.ing sucks, come on how hard or complex is it to sync this? I think this it top to bottom from Steve by virtue of him not trusting the mm guys to do a good job, otherwise, and for such simple things there's no real rationale to discontinue them.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Less than those who aren't using 1Password!

Good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

this f.ing sucks, come on how hard or complex is it to sync this? I think this it top to bottom from Steve by virtue of him not trusting the mm guys to do a good job, otherwise, and for such simple things there's no real rationale to discontinue them.

Not a good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Not only that but 1Password does so much more than simple password syncing that it should be a tool in every Mac or Windows users tool belt! How many people have one password on multiple sites?

With all the recent high profile compromises of sites, I would hope it's obvious now - more than ever before - that you MUST have a different password on each web site. 1Password makes that trivial

Excellent point.

Quote:

I wish Apple would provide better paths for them to integrate with Safari and other developers on the iPhone, but it's still light years ahead of just having one or a few similar passwords on all of your accounts.

Agile can use the plug-in SDK for 1Password but they have decided to move to an Extensions-based system. I'm not liking it as much as the plug-in but it has gotten substantially better so there is potential for it to be great.