Apple and Intel to build new multicore x86/iOS microprocessors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is interesting (excerpt):

For Apple to retain its brand leadership, it needs to co-architect and be first to market with a new multicore processor that combines Intel x86 and process technology with a future A6 that includes Apple?s specified graphics. The multi-core solution will run both iOS and MAC OS. These processors will be built in 14nm and out the door late 2013 or 1H 2014. Intel will build a family of A6/x86 combo processors to allow low to moderately priced CPUs. Apple will have sole rights to the chips and can hide from its competitors the true cost of the CPUs. Apple MAC based PC will drop in price. On Intel?s side, they can continue to serve legacy x86 markets without a price conflict.

Source: Apple Roadmaps Intel to 14nm

http://www.semiwiki.com/forum/conten...ntel-14nm.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    joebjoeb Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

For Apple to retain its brand leadership, it needs to co-architect and be first to market with a new multicore processor that combines Intel x86 and process technology with a future A6 that includes Apple?s specified graphics. The multi-core solution will run both iOS and MAC OS. These processors will be built in 14nm and out the door late 2013 or 1H 2014. Intel will build a family of A6/x86 combo processors to allow low to moderately priced CPUs. Apple will have sole rights to the chips and can hide from its competitors the true cost of the CPUs. Apple MAC based PC will drop in price. On Intel?s side, they can continue to serve legacy x86 markets without a price conflict.

Apple MAC based PC will drop in price?? really right now they are priced at higher prices then other systems.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeB View Post

Apple MAC based PC will drop in price??

This almost-sentence gave me goosebumps from its wrongness.

Quote:

really right now they are priced at higher prices then other systems.

Really right now they are worth more than other systems, work better than other systems, last longer than other systems, are built better than other systems, and retain value longer than other systems.

And if you don't like that, you can buy one of the other systems.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There is speculation, informed speculation and then there are people running at the mouth spewing crap. Semiwiki seems to be built around spewing more than anything.

One issue that always stands out when I see these sorts of articles is the glowing assumption that ARM devices are some how stuck on an old process technology and won't shrink anymore like Intel hardware does. That is rather foolish if you ask me.

Consider this, ARM processors Apple uses are built, apparently on a old process technology. This implies that Apple has to do nothing other than to shrink the process to get even lower power dissipation. Or they can add additional capability.

In any event I suspect there is a long term strategy to the move to ARM for all iOS devices. We may not know what that is but one thing is pretty obvious Intel will be trailing performance per watt for some time.

As to the multicore solution (better stated as a multi ISA) I don't buy that either. Intel would be able to easily emulate an ARM if power wasn't an issue. Power is an issue which is another reason not to go to two different processors on a chip.

Beyond all of that the referenced article was talking about Intel processors in the 3 to 7 watt range in the future. That is way way to much for Apples devices, ideally the SoC used in Apples devices need to be sub one watt. Right now it is understood that the processor int eh iPad can max out at seething over two watts which I'd suggest is a little too much for that machine. All of this suggest to me that Apple will aggressively drive down power usage in future devices. I would not be surprised to find out that Apple has a target of a quarter watts for a maxed out iPhone X processor of the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

• Reply 4 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'd buy it. I'd make do with having to jailbreak all the time even, and getting a case with a keyboard built into it.

This is conceptually similar to the Motorola Atrix, only I imagine it wouldn't suck as much. The Atrix hardware engineering is just stupid. Could've been great.

We should by next year be able to plug any old USB (or BlueTooth) keyboard/mouse into a phone, and plug the phone into a TV over HDMI and use it as a computer. The best way would be to allow it to boot a full OS X. Like Atrix boots a full Linux. That would be an ability a looot of people would love! I don't know if Apple or anyone can get their act together by then. I bet an Android phone will get there first, but perhaps Apple will make a better design eventually. If so, perhaps I'll eventually switch to iphone from my android. I like have a pocket computer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Assface Gruber will either ignore this or have a field-day picking it apart.