Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anybody have a feeling when 10.7.1 will come out? I know some people that are waiting to download Lion until it comes out to insure they encounter less bugs than one might now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Does anybody have a feeling when 10.7.1 will come out?

When it comes out.

Quote:

I know some people that are waiting to download Lion until it comes out to insure they encounter less bugs than one might now.

Good for them. They're missing out.

And it's unlikely we'll even see 10.7.1 since 10.7.2 is the one they're already working on.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Thanks for being rude in your response.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Ignore that guy.

Its almost always a good idea to wait for .1 or .2 of an OSX release. Just be patient.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Its almost always a good idea to wait for .1 or .2 of an OSX release.

What's your reasoning behind that ?

For 25 years I've been keeping my Macs running the most recent version of the OS within weeks of their release. I've NEVER had a problem with .0 releases.

I can say the same thing about the few windows computers I've owned... the latest (including .0) releases work just as advertised.

If you're waiting for legacy application compatibility, well... that's not a fault with the OS, but with the maker of the App that doesn't work.

When you start spouting that unsupported BS about how .0 releases are nasty, that's when people start getting rude.

Support your claims or shut up. (rude enough? )
  • Reply 5 of 26
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Yes, the benefits of OSX Lion 10.7.0 seem to more than outweigh any potential bugs or problems. I haven't encountered any so far. The only potential downside about upgrading now is using legacy software programs that haven't been optimised for Lion. At worst, they may crash, but you probably need an update from the software vendor not Apple. All in all, I'm finding Lion a slick and useful new OS. Should buy with confidence.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Support your claims or shut up. (rude enough? )

I guess you didn't read about this.

I have always waited for .1 or .2 releases for OSX major upgrades since Tiger except for SL. I got that one when it was released.

If you want to get it as soon as its released, have at it. For most users of moderate, or less than moderate, technical abilities or who don't want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting it has always been a common held belief that waiting for .1 or .2 release was a 'good' idea. You've been here long enough to know that many forum members hold this belief even if you don't.

Yes I understand that no software is bug free. But why not let some bugs get ironed out before adoption?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

... a common held belief...

...is not necessarily a fact.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

...is not necessarily a fact.

So I have to submit scientific proof to hold this belief?

Regardless of your position on this, many users will wait for a .1 or .2 update before upgrading. It doesn't hurt to do so. It also gives 3rd party SW vendors a chance to get their SW Lion compatible.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

How in frick's name could you call that "rude"? Do you really expect us to know things we can't possibly know?

Quote:

Its almost always a good idea to wait for .1 or .2 of an OSX release. Just be patient.

Except when it's not necessary. Like now.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    MatthewGavin and backtomac, you're both quite right. Fanboys jump on every fart Steve Jobs releases. Sensible people wait until the biggest bugs have been ironed out. Especially since SL (still) works like a charm. Actually better than ever. It would be different if SL had major shortcomings. But it doesn't. OSX.6.8 is the result of years of use by millions of users. OSX.7, barely a week old, simply isn't yet, of course.

I wait until at least OSX.7.3 (this from someone who's worked 300 days a year for 27 years with every single OS, and every iteration thereof, that Apple ever fielded since the original Macintosh; oh, and earlier I groped Lisa a couple times... ).
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

MatthewGavin and backtomac, you're both quite right. Fanboys jump on every fart Steve Jobs releases. Sensible people wait until the biggest bugs have been ironed out. Especially since SL (still) works like a charm. Actually better than ever. It would be different if SL had major shortcomings. But it doesn't. OSX.6.8 is the result of years of use by millions of users. OSX.7, barely a week old, simply isn't yet, of course.

I wait until at least OSX.7.3 (this from someone who's worked 300 days a year for 27 years with every single OS, and every iteration thereof, that Apple ever fielded since the original Macintosh; oh, and earlier I groped Lisa a couple times... ).

Why wait till 7.3??? ... wouldn't it be better to wait till 7.5... or even 7.6 ???

Why are you even using OSX ?!?! ... it still has bugs here and there... you really should have stuck with MacOS7... it was pretty stable.

For christ's sake, it's not like this is a Beta release !!!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

I hear that Windows 95 Service Pack 4 is pretty stable. Why not just go back to that?

Quote:

you really should have stuck with MacOS7... it was pretty stable.

Oh, or that. System 7 ROCKED.

You're disturbing. I have to end the sentence there to stay within the rules.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    I just don't get all the vitriol and vinegar against those who wish to wait till .1 or .2 before adopting Lion.

It's not like they're slamming Lion as a weak upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

I just don't get all the vitriol and vinegar against those who wish to wait till .1 or .2 before adopting Lion.

Nothing wrong with waiting, if that's your choice... but short of some incompatible app, there's just no reason to avoid it.

I think the vitriol is aimed at those who claim it's not WORTH updating till the 163rd revision.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Why wait till 7.3??? ... wouldn't it be better to wait till 7.5... or even 7.6 ???

You hit the nail on the head, bro. OSX.7 stands to get better as it matures. That's life, mate. Evolution.

So as with everything in life it is a trade-off. Weighing the pros and cons. And making an informed choice.

Some people don't have respect for that.

Make no mistake: I really appreciate you guys jumping on the Lion bandwagon from Day One. You're welcome to the endless restarts, incompatibilities, and exasperation, so I don't have to. Your efforts make 7.3 come around that much more quickly.

So I really hope you enjoy your status as 'early adopter' because my opt-in moment will of course be influenced by the experiences of all the early adopters. But I rather wait for concrete developments – i.e. 7.3 – than some bozo's hyper opinions, if you don't mind.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

wish I had waited. don't care if the problem is apple or adobe. either way its a problem with routine crashes.

hopefully by 10.7.1 apple or adobe will have fixed this.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

wish I had waited. don't care if the problem is apple or adobe. either way its a problem with routine crashes.

hopefully by 10.7.1 apple or adobe will have fixed this.

I rest my case.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

don't care if the problem is apple or adobe.

It's Adobe. But then again, I don't care that you're having a problem if you're going to be so cavalier about it.

Quote:

hopefully by 10.7.1

Having absolutely nothing to do with Adobe and making zero case for you to to have waited to buy Lion when you can just as easily download the Flash 11 beta, Click2Flash, and use HTML5 variants of everything so that you never see Flash content again.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    The problem posts imply it's more than Adobe as problems occur with Quicktime and Youtube

as well as with Flash.

However, based on your note I have now downloaded the latest Flash and hope that will help.

Most of my crashes are with the BBC web site (one of the worlds most popular) and that does use a lot of flash.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Most of my crashes are with the BBC web site (one of the worlds most popular) and that does use a lot of flash.

Well they closed my iPlayer loophole so it's not as popular anymore.