Walmart to shutter MP3 store after failing to catch Apple's iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Some people actually believe such remarks are some sort of moral litmus test. Cheaper and easier than real morals, but of course completely meaningless. Sad.

Walmart has some truly despicable business tactics. But I guess you are the expert on which morals are real and which aren't.

• Reply 22 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    In better news for Apple's rivals, Spotify has gained 175,000 paying customers in the US since launching, worth $1.1 billion.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

In better news for Apple's rivals, Spotify has gained 175,000 paying customers in the US since launching, worth $1.1 billion.

Yes, yes, we all know Apple is doomed to failure.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What method is used to conclude that Spotify customers are worth $629 each?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    askewaskew Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

....noting that Walmart may be better off focusing on what it does best, rather than continuing to deliver a sub-par experience to consumers.

Um... that's what Walmart does best.

I have always had a sub-par experience in Walmart stores. The only thing I buy there is ammunition and it usually takes about 10 minutes for someone to find the key to open the ammo case. Then they have the weird store policy of asking if the ammo is going to be used in a handgun. Since I'm normally buying 9mm ammo, the question is bizarre since the only non-handgun firearms I know that use 9mm are automatic weapons.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Good catch
  • Reply 27 of 31
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Because the world isn't just America. Spotify has been out in other countries for many years.

They also make money on sending advertising out to non paying customers.

"Apple sold 1.5 million iPhone 4 in the first day, the company is worth 60 Billion dollars"

"How is that possible unless each iPhone 4 costs $40,000 each"

Companies have history.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Because the world isn't just America. Spotify has been out in other countries for many years.

They also make money on sending advertising out to non paying customers.

"Apple sold 1.5 million iPhone 4 in the first day, the company is worth 60 Billion dollars"

"How is that possible unless each iPhone 4 costs $40,000 each"

Companies have history.

The post I was replying to says "In better news for Apple's rivals, Spotify has gained 175,000 paying customers in the US since launching, worth $1.1 billion." The sentence clearly says that the 175,000 US customers are worth $1.1 billion, not that the company is now valued at 1.1 billion.

If I say "In better new for Apple's rivals, Bill Gates has gained 175,000 diamonds, worth $1.1 billion" wouldn't you assume I'm talking about the value of the diamonds rather than Bill Gates total net worth?

It is entirely possible to put a per customer value on a customer base for a subscription-based company. It isn't nonsense that the OP did so, I just wonder where he came up with such an amazingly high value per customer.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Thant's a shame - I'm told that competition is supposed to be good for innovation.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Walmart had an mp3 store? Really?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

estion would have been something along the lines of "MP3's aren't DRMed" (which only took one extra character to write).

so long as it is downloaded files it really doesn't matter. If they are DRM'd someone has probably already hacked that out of the files or will very shortly.

And if they don't it sounds like it could be iTunes Match for the win.