Rendering shows off Apple's new, simplified Fifth Ave glass cube

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has provided an artists' rendering of its redesigned 32-foot glass cube entrance on Fifth Avenue in New York City, showing what the $6.7 million project will look like once completed.

The rendering, provided by Apple to Gothamist, shows what Apple intends for the new, simplified glass cube to look like. The multi-million dollar project will reduce the number of panes of glass on the structure from 90 to just 15.

The rendering shows far fewer seams in the cube made possible because of the use of larger pieces of glass, giving a cleaner look to the structure that is among one of the most photographed structures in New York.

The illustration of the new cube marks the second occasion this week that Apple has decided to publicly share information about its $6.7 million project currently underway at its flagship store in New York City.

Earlier this week, the company posted a sign at the Fifth Avenue construction site explaining the purpose of the major project. Previously, the company had not disclosed why the cube was being replaced.

"We're simplifying the Fifth Avenue Cube," Apple's note to passersby reads. "By using larger, seamless pieces of glass, we're using just 15 panes instead of 90."

Left, the old Fifth Ave glass cube. Right, Apple's rendering of the new cube.

The store remains open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as always, but the iconic 32-foot cube that usually serves as the entrance to the underground store has been shrouded underneath another, even bigger temporary cube as construction continues. Customers must pass through a makeshift lit hallway to enter the store.

The task of replacing the glass structure began in June, when a temporary wall of grey plywood was erected to shield the public from the work-in-progress. Permits filed with the New York Department of Buildings show that the entire project will cost Apple $6.7 million, and that construction is expected to be completed by November.

The cube first opened in May of 2006, and was personally designed by Apple's chief executive, Steve Jobs. The CEO even paid for the project himself, and is the owner of the structure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    It's going to look stunning
  • Reply 2 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Eventually Apple will just invent a superconducting electromagnet and they'll be able to get rid of the cube altogether and just have the Apple logo floating there.

It'd be nice for inclusion in laptops, too. Drop one? No problem; it'll just hover a few inches off the ground.

Way better than the Sudden Motion Sensor.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    umairumair Posts: 16member
    is that only me who thinks OLD 1 was much better
  • Reply 4 of 48
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Sexy design for the most valuable company in the world.

Shame they cannot figure out how to have each side of the cube be a single piece.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Sexy design for the most valuable company in the world.

Shame they cannot figure out how to have each side of the cube be a single piece.

Or better yet, one piece for it all!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shev View Post

It's going to look stunning

Yes, it's gorgeous.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UMAIR View Post

No, me too. Glass in itself is invisible, it's the edges that refract light light and give it dimension and interest. Imagine a polished diamond cube without facets. It would make sense if the building behind were some kind of architectural landmark that you wanted to get out of the way of. But it appears to be an uninspired piece of 20th century functionalism. I don't get it.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Will the next cube be made of air?
  • Reply 9 of 48
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Looks nice.

But man the things I'd do with 6.7 million....
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Less is more. For a cube, it looks absolutely stunning. I hope Apple has a patent on it or everyone will be building them.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

No, me too. Glass in itself is invisible, it's the edges that refract light light and give it dimension and interest. Imagine a polished diamond cube without facets. It would make sense if the building behind were some kind of architectural landmark that you wanted to get out of the way of. But it appears to be an uninspired piece of 20th century functionalism. I don't get it.

Well, glass is not really invisible. Its highly reflective depending on the time of day and direction of light sources. As an Apple computer user you should know this . But it is no use comparing the two images as they are show the cubes at different times of day, one with a powerful light source below and with a yellow cast.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Or better yet, one piece for it all!

I imagine if Steve were able to make a version like an enlarged Power Mac G4 Cube (without the components), he'd do it.

• Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Will the next cube be made of air?

The NeXT Cube was made of magnesium.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ferdinandcc View Post

The NeXT Cube was made of magnesium.

great topic

• Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Maybe. The new one looks way better! Maybe not $6.7M better...
  • Reply 15 of 48
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Quote:

I like the old one better too.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like the new one better. It's cleaner and less visually cluttered, HOWEVER they need to keep those metal pylons surrounding the structure in case someone in a truck accidentally or on purpose tries to run into the structure.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I like the new one better. It's cleaner and less visually cluttered, HOWEVER they need to keep those metal pylons surrounding the structure in case someone in a truck accidentally or on purpose tries to run into the structure.

Or, so you can see its there(sarc). There will be people, birds, dogs, cats, running into this thing because the can't see its there. The ACLU, ASPCA, Green Peace etc will soon be suing. If it was in east Texas, Im sure someone will start a class action.

M'eh ultimately it will be covered in bird doo doo so it wont be a problem.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    I'm betting this new one is what Steve originally had in mind but had to settle for the old one due to technological and manufacturing limitations at that time. Those limits have now been removed.

In fact, when the cube was first described but had not yet been seen by anyone, this newer cube is more like what I had imagined.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Unfortunately no. But that's the problem with most humans: they are utterly tasteless.