Apple ends day the most valuable public company on Earth

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
After temporarily passing oil giant Exxon Mobil in market capitalization yesterday, Apple has jumped into the lead again and remained there as the market closed today.

Apple's market cap valuation, which ended the day at $337.2 billion, edged into the lead despite the stock falling down 2.8 percent today. Exxon was valued at $330.8 billion after its shares closed down 4.4 percent for the day.

Market capitalization only pertains to how much, in total, the outstanding shares in a publicly held company are valued by the market. Apple's stock price is based on the composite of what investors think the company is worth now, combined with how much potential it has to grow earnings and expand into new markets in the future.

In the past year, Apple has earned $23.6 billion on revenues of more than $100 billion. Exxon has earned almost $38 billion but has collected revenues of nearly $393 billion.

As Apple has appreciated in value, it passed Dell, HP and finally Microsoft in May of 2010. It is currently worth over $130 billion more than Microsoft (which ten years ago was itself worth more than Exxon).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    "Apple has jumped into the lead again" suggests that Apple having a greater market cap than Exxon is a result of Apple's stock price increasing. In fact, Apple started the day at $374.01 and closed at $363.69. The change is because Exxon's price fell more over the day than Apple's.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Not earth but rather the USA. Here is at least my source.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eatsexxon.html
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

From that article: "Apple, which is based in Cupertino, Calif., generally introduces a new product every three years, which means something new in 2013. Marshall does not expect the company to slow down any time soon."

Uhhhhhhh... if Apple is going to now only release a new product every 3 years then they're definitely slowing down.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

"Apple has jumped into the lead again" suggests that Apple having a greater market cap than Exxon is a result of Apple's stock price increasing. In fact, Apple started the day at $374.01 and closed at $363.69. The change is because Exxon's price fell more over the day than Apple's.

Wait, is this my ex-wife online?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Uhhhhhhh... if Apple is going to now only release a new product every 3 years then they're definitely slowing down.

How do you figure?

ipod in 2001

iphone/appletv in 2007

ipad in 2010
  • Reply 6 of 40
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:

You could infer that Apple is smaller than PetroChina, but strangely, the article didn't offer any value to those international companies. I am left wondering whether being number one internationally means more or less value than being number 1 in the U.S., and by how much.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Those are state owned enterprises and thus they don't actually have a market cap, another would be Aramco which has been valued in the past at over a trillion dollars. But it's not a meaningful comparison, you can only compare market cap with other publicly traded firms - and of those Apple is the most valuable.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wait, is this my ex-wife online?

No, She's mine... But, you're welcome to her!
  • Reply 9 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How do they fair on the moon though? That's the real question on everyone's chapped-lips.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

How do you figure?

ipod in 2001

iphone/appletv in 2007

ipad in 2010

Ignoring every model of computer for whatever reason, I guess...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

What if there's no other planets in the Universe with stock markets? Apple could be the most valuable company in the Universe! Think about it.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ignoring every model of computer for whatever reason, I guess...

Umm a product refresh does not count as a new product.

iMac 1997

Mac Mini 2003

MacBook 2005

MacBook Pro 2006

Mac Pro 2006

MacBook Air 2006

Mac Mini Server 2007

Mac Pro Server 2010

My dates are more than likely out because I was working off the top of my head but there have been no new Macs since around 2005/2006 just product refreshes.

Going on this basis it's been 1 year since a new Mac product was introduced.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No, She's mine... But, you're welcome to her!

Take my wife.....please!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Umm a product refresh does not count as a new product.

iMac 1997

Mac Mini 2003

MacBook 2005

MacBook Pro 2006

Mac Pro 2006

MacBook Air 2006

Mac Mini Server 2007

Mac Pro Server 2010

My dates are more than likely out because I was working off the top of my head but there have been no new Macs since around 2005/2006 just product refreshes.

Going on this basis it's been 1 year since a new Mac product was introduced.

Here are the correct years.

iMac - 1998

iBook - 1999

Mac mini - 2005

MacBook - 2006 (year of the Intel switch and introduction of Intel Macs)

MacBook Air - 2008

Mac mini - Server - 2009

One might also consider design overhauls as counting.

Anyway, I guess the author means game changing introductions like the iPod, iPhone, iPad and now the MacBook Air, products that grab much more consumers than other Apple products do.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Your linked article isn't the only one written today or yesterday on the subject. I suggest you poke around a bit to find a few more articles that make the valid point : biggest on the planet earth!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    So in other news, Apple has announced plans to go to the moon to open an Apple store.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

I believe headline of that article is wrong. My understanding is that Apple is now the largest publicly traded company in the world. If you are aware of a larger one, I would be interested to see. I suppose both articles may be right, because I do not believe there are any private companies in the US that are larger.

http://allthingsd.com/20110810/apple...-passes-exxon/

By the way if you are referring to

Quote:

International companies that vie for the most valuable spot include PetroChina Co., the publicly traded unit of China's biggest oil and gas company, and Petrobras, Brazil's state-controlled energy company.

He is either just wrong or not referring to the market cap of the publicly trade arms of those companies. It is not unusual form the AP to be wrong or unclear, take your pick. Both of those companies have smaller market caps then Exxon. Petrobas has a lower cap then Microsoft.

PetroChina did reach a trillion when it debuted, but that was short lived.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Here are the correct years.

EXACTLY. For HEAVEN'S sake, how do you get that many wrong?

Quote:

there have been no new Macs since around 2005/2006 just product refreshes.

As has already been shown, this is nonsense.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Market cap is shares outstanding x share price.

PTR is only $223 billion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=PTR

The government owns 86% of the company. The rest is public.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You could infer that Apple is smaller than PetroChina, but strangely, the article didn't offer any value to those international companies. I am left wondering whether being number one internationally means more or less value than being number 1 in the U.S., and by how much.

The article title says on the Earth. As far as I know that includes China. BTW Apple passed PetroChina many months ago.