2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Regardless of disturbingly large number of rude and non-informative remarks, the question is actually quite good, and I wish I had had a compiled list of potential problems before I decided to make the switch on my iMac. So, here are my reasons for putting off the upgrade on my newer and shinier MacBook Pro:

1. Missing the Spaces/Expose (no, Mission Control is NOT the same thing, esp. when you have your iMac hooked up to TV that is not always showing your secondary desktop)

2. Digital Audio Output Problems -- (apparently, this "feature" creeped back into 10.6.8, too: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 )

3. Kernel error: nstat_lookup_entry_failed: 2

4. Kernel error: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero -- If you claim to have built a rock-solid system, can you please explain me how come some 3rd party player/plugin/whatever may crush the browser, let alone the whole system? I mean, whatever it is that (those idiots at) Adobe messed up... So, I have to agree with Graham Reeves: "I (REALLY) don't care if the problem is Apple or Adobe!"

5. Full Screen -- Quick time renders my other display useless when playing something in full screen (it's the same for all other applications, but, while full screen is new feature for them, QuickTime actually had completely useful full screen feature before Lion)

6. Performance issues (on my iMac 2008) -- boot takes longer, animations are not that smooth (they were flawless in SL), and it feels twitchy at times

This is not a complete list, just those things that bother me virtually every day and remind me that I should have been more cautious with .0 release. Now, if you feel like you're "missing out" the Launchpad, natural scrolling, prettier UI, improved mail, or some other features not present in SL (what are they, exactly?) and that they outweigh all the shortcomings, knock yourself out.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igotim View Post

Now, if you feel like you're "missing out" the Launchpad, natural scrolling, prettier UI, improved mail, or some other features not present in SL (what are they, exactly?) and that they outweigh all the shortcomings, knock yourself out.

• Reply 23 of 26
    Loss of Rosetta emulation killing off many older versions of applications which makes conversion expensive. Obvious if you read these forums, but not if you read Apple blurb or mainstream reviews.

Still onward and upward and by the way since installing the new version of Flash I have not had a crash so can see all the BBC video coverage of riots back in the UK.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What's your reasoning behind that ?

For 25 years I've been keeping my Macs running the most recent version of the OS within weeks of their release. I've NEVER had a problem with .0 releases.

I can say the same thing about the few windows computers I've owned... the latest (including .0) releases work just as advertised.

If you're waiting for legacy application compatibility, well... that's not a fault with the OS, but with the maker of the App that doesn't work.

When you start spouting that unsupported BS about how .0 releases are nasty, that's when people start getting rude.

Support your claims or shut up. (rude enough? )

Upgraded my MBA and had no problem. Then I upgraded my dad's iMac, which is a little over 2 years old, and it toasted the wi-fi connection from it that I use, while I'm visiting, to surf and get my e-mails. As of now, I can't get my e-mail without going through a 3g USB dongle- which I'm using right now because I've also lost access to tons of web-sites, which don't want to download on this glacial connection. Look through Apple's support commentaries for tons of examples like mine.

What is particularly exasperating is that I can't access Software upgrade. If I'm still here when, and I hope that it is very soon, the .1 upgrade comes out, I'll try going down to the Apple store to download it. If not, I just won't install Lion on my own iMac until I know this bug is fixed. BTW these are my 24th and 25th Macs and I had previously always downloaded system upgrades religiously and had bought new OSs as soon as they came out. Guessed I learned my lesson...
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Waskal View Post

Upgraded my MBA and had no problem. Then I upgraded my dad's iMac, which is a little over 2 years old, and it toasted the wi-fi connection from it that I use, while I'm visiting, to surf and get my e-mails. As of now, I can't get my e-mail without going through a 3g USB dongle- which I'm using right now because I've also lost access to tons of web-sites, which don't want to download on this glacial connection. Look through Apple's support commentaries for tons of examples like mine.

What is particularly exasperating is that I can't access Software upgrade. If I'm still here when, and I hope that it is very soon, the .1 upgrade comes out, I'll try going down to the Apple store to download it. If not, I just won't install Lion on my own iMac until I know this bug is fixed. BTW these are my 24th and 25th Macs and I had previously always downloaded system upgrades religiously and had bought new OSs as soon as they came out. Guessed I learned my lesson...

I guess so...
  • Reply 26 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Does anybody have a feeling when 10.7.1 will come out? I know some people that are waiting to download Lion until it comes out to insure they encounter less bugs than one might now.

I've been using 10.7.0 quite a bit this past few weeks (Safari, Firefox, Mail, Mission Control, Keynote, Photoshop, VMWare Fusion Windows7, Evernote, iTunes, Skype, FaceTime, iCal, iPhoto, Numbers) and honestly there are no deal breakers for me.

Do you have anything mission critical or any known bugs that you think would hold you back? If not it's a nice upgrade.

Believe me, I was quite skeptical (you can see all my pre-launch posts were quite negative, I didn't think too much of Lion) and some things are a bit weird like the reverse scrolling (which I immediately changed back to normal) and some Mission Control glitches and occasional lags. But there's cool things like instant right-click dictionary/wiki lookup, autocorrect, Safari tab crashing control and much more.