Investors pushing Nintendo to support Apple's iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Except people who use dedicated games machines play a lot more games (and spend a lot more money on gaming) than the average person. Nintendo might not be addressing the majority of gamers but they are addressing the most valuable gamers.

People buy Nintendo hardware because of Mario and other Nintendo games. By releasing their exclusive titles on other platforms they would be helping to kill their own platforms which would do far more damage to Nintendo's profits than they could hope to gain from releasing an iOS titles.

I am not sure that is true. I spend more time playing games on my phone then I did with my PSP or gameboy, gameboy advanced, or DS. Do you have some credible study that supports your position?

Nintendo is losing money after declines in yoy profits for four straight quarters. Their forecasting seems to predict a loss for this quarter too. There is no profit in Nintendo right now.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    dead

nintendoi is dead

my sons want th e iPads no matter what

7 and 10 yrs old

nintendio is dead

apple is rocking
  • Reply 43 of 74
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    "One fund manager believes Apple should abandon its strategy of only releasing titles for its own hardware, and support other platforms, including the iPhone, iPad . . ."

I like that AI corrects their typos. But am annoyed that they make their corrections with out without leaving a hint that they were wrong in the first place. What is this the Soviet Tass News Agency? Rupert Murdock's Wall Street Journal?

Seriously though, how hard can it be to strikeout unwanted text (leaving it legible) and making the correction properly?
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The demographic for the iPod touch is considerably younger, the 13-24 age bracket whereas the iPhone is the lucrative 25-49 age bracket. Various surveys have shown that iPod touch users download far more apps (and more games) than iPhone owners. As Steve Jobs mentioned, the iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone.

They would sell far more if they would stop hobbling it (bluetooth, certain pieces of software, etc.) and give it a decent camera. Lots of folks would have a Virgin mobile phone with an affordable contract hiding in their briefcase and use their iPt to take calls and interact with the internet. Savings? about $1200 over the time of a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    kazkamkazkam Posts: 60member
    More than old Nintendo titles that might be difficult to adapt to touch input, a niche of iPad game I see as still untapped is the conversion/port of some old turn-based early RPGs written for Win/Mac desktops.

Titles that come to mind are the Baulder's Gate series, and Fallout 1 & 2. Heck, even all the old map-based games like Warcraft I, II, and III, Age of Empires, StarCraft I, etc.

Those games would easily be adapted to touch input and have huge followings of nostalgic gamers that now have iPads, are chomping at the bit for "real" substantial games on the iOS platform, and would be willing to pony up ~$10/title.

From what I've seen, new titles developed for the iPad that try to fill this space, longer plot-based games, are severely lacking. I know I would love to play Fallout II all over again on the iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    I wish Apple can buy Nintendo. According to Japanese law I don't think you can buy a Japan bases company. But the question is can Apple buy the Nintendo Catalog of game franchisees.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

They would sell far more if they would stop hobbling it (bluetooth, certain pieces of software, etc.) and give it a decent camera. Lots of folks would have a Virgin mobile phone with an affordable contract hiding in their briefcase and use their iPt to take calls and interact with the internet. Savings? about $1200 over the time of a 2 year contract.

Apple has to keep their costs down. If they start add a lot more components to the iPod touch, the cost will increase as well as the price.

The retail value of an iPhone is about $700 (many people pay this amount in countries where subsidized handsets and long-term contracts are not standard practice). Apple has been selling unsubsidized handsets in the US for a couple of years (it was not aggressively marketed), more recently they are unlocked as well.

Apple will likely improve the camera quality in future models, however it is doubtful that the iPod touch's images will ever match those of the iPhone because of size constraints (and Steve will not let the iPod touch get as thick as the iPhone).

I would love to see an iPod touch with 3G cellular data with an optional month-by-month plan like the iPad, however I am rather doubtful we will see something like this.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The last two Zelda games on the DS were controlled mainly with a stylus. They'd work fine on an iPhone. Super Mario though, not so much.

Exactly, a stylus. Thumbs are not styluses and do not offer the same precision, and have a tendency to obscure most of the screen.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Not sure but I think Apple might phase out some of the iPOD models. But then again who knows.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    I don't Super-Mario would do good in the touch controller option. But it would be great if Apple and Nintendo Joined forces to create a controller addon for the iphone and ipad. But there brings up the question can apple buy Nintendo's back catalog

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

More than old Nintendo titles that might be difficult to adapt to touch input, a niche of iPad game I see as still untapped is the conversion/port of some old turn-based early RPGs written for Win/Mac desktops.

Titles that come to mind are the Baulder's Gate series, and Fallout 1 & 2. Heck, even all the old map-based games like Warcraft I, II, and III, Age of Empires, StarCraft I, etc.

Those games would easily be adapted to touch input and have huge followings of nostalgic gamers that now have iPads, are chomping at the bit for "real" substantial games on the iOS platform, and would be willing to pony up ~$10/title.

From what I've seen, new titles developed for the iPad that try to fill this space, longer plot-based games, are severely lacking. I know I would love to play Fallout II all over again on the iPad.

• Reply 51 of 74
    kazkamkazkam Posts: 60member
    Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Both my wife and I carry around both an iPt AND a TracFone. We'd love the integration of the devices the iPhone offers, but not for $1200-$2000 ($2400-$4000 for both of us) every two years.

I was so excited and ready to buy the 4th gen iPt when I heard it finally had a camera, then so disappointed when I found out it was a CrackerJack POS, so didn't upgrade. It still also needs GPS.

Crossing my finger for the 5th gen, but not holding my breath either.

Now if I could buy an non-contract iPhone direct from Apple and could use my TracFone card and IDK, an app, that would be ideal. I'd even pay the unsubsidized price for the iPhone. Not holding my breath for that option either.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If *investors* (fund managers and individual investors alike) believe they are so wise in product management and strategic planning for a tech company, why don't quit their day job and put their money where their mouths are? What credibility do they think they have when they start *recommending* product strategies?

ummm, "investors" are quite literally putting their money where their mouths are. That's kind of what makes them investors...
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nintendo is identical to Apple.

They make great software to sell their custom hardware.

The best gaming franchises are Nintendo's, and they're (for the most part) created by one man, Shigeru Miyamoto (宮本 茂). Just like Steve and Apple.

Nintendo would do astonishingly well if they created iOS versions of all of their past games, much less created new ones for Apple hardware.

But they won't. They'll stick to their guns until bankruptcy and intellectual property divvying-up between remaining companies.

And I think that's what makes them just like Apple.

Actually I think Nintendo might more accurately be described as the OPPOSITE of Apple.

Apple write great software in order to sell their hardware. Their margins on hardware are legendary in the industry, whilst they virtually give away their software (iOS updates are free, OS X updates close to free at $29.99).

Nintendo on the other hand make hardware in order to sell their software. Although I don't have the numbers, it's widely acknowledged that games consoles are often sold at a loss to build an installed base, with all of the industry profits then coming from software (games titles) sales.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

Now if I could buy an non-contract iPhone direct from Apple and could use my TracFone card and IDK, an app, that would be ideal. I'd even pay the unsubsidized price for the iPhone. Not holding my breath for that option either.

I'm hoping to do something similar with the iPhone 5.

I'd like to purchase it unlocked at the unsubsidized price (off-contract) and use my AT&T GoPhone SIM. I think my charges would average about $18 per month between voice, data, and a few texts. Apparently, the only thing that doesn't work is Visual Voicemail, however since I use Google Voice, I wouldn't be using AT&T's voicemail anyhow; same with SMS.

Over the course of two years, I think I would save about $400 annually versus the subsidized handset and the cheapest AT&T plan.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Actually I think Nintendo might more accurately be described as the OPPOSITE of Apple.

Apple write great software in order to sell their hardware. Their margins on hardware are legendary in the industry, whilst they virtually give away their software (iOS updates are free, OS X updates close to free at $29.99).

Nintendo on the other hand make hardware in order to sell their software. Although I don't have the numbers, it's widely acknowledged that games consoles are often sold at a loss to build an installed base, with all of the industry profits then coming from software (games titles) sales.

While I understand your point from a economic standpoint, I'm making the point that no one would've bought the Wii if the software had sucked. Remember all the naysayers prior to its launch? It was a Revolution (code name humor), sure, but it wouldn't have been if its games had sucked. Great games built with great care to utilize the hardware sells the hardware. It wouldn't have sold otherwise, much less become the most sold hardware of this generation.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Sony and Microsoft sold their hardware at a loss, but Nintendo never sold hardware at a loss (though the 3DS might be the exception). Nintendo makes money on everything.

The 3DS isn't doing well, but neither did the Gamecube. Back then, people cried gloom and doom for Nintendo and thought they should become a third party developer to Sony and Microsoft. Imagine if they did. The Wii wouldn't exist, and we all know how successful that's been for them.

Just as it would kill Apple to license OS X, it would kill Nintendo to replace their handheld business to make games exclusively for iPods, iPads, and iPhones. Yes, they'd attract more customers selling $1-10 games, but would the volume make up for 1) the revenue they get from their $40 games (and they rarely go down in price), 2) the money they make off the DS and accessories, 3) the money they make licensing third party games? I highly doubt it.

And if Nintendo made an iOS that required an accessory, they'd sell even less games than they would.

Just because the iOS market is a bigger market doesn't mean there's more money to be had from Nintendo or other game developers. With that logic, developers should focus on Android instead of iOS because it's growing in marketshare and that's more important than profit, right?
  • Reply 57 of 74
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

If anybody has ever tried to play games like Madden on the iPad know that most gaming really does need a control stick and buttons. Madden with the PS3 control is great. The iPad, not so good. Even other games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 controlled horribly. Glad I only paid .99 for each or I'd consider them a rip-off. I may be in the minority, but I would rather play great games on dedicated machines than crappy games that are cheap. I also tried Street Fighter IV and ugh, still controls poorly.

... more rambling...

The iPad/iPod/iPhone are great for causal games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope but hardcore sports, FPS, TPS, and platformers are better left to systems that cater to them.

So you're comparing $.99 games to games you'd normally pay $50 for? Oh cry me a river when you're complaining that the quality isn't very good when the price differential is so very high that it takes a hit on software quality. If you'd be willing to pay closer to $10, $15 per game, then you might have something to complain about.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:

"One fund manager believes Apple should abandon its strategy of only releasing titles for its own hardware, and support other platforms, including the iPhone, iPad . . ."

I like that AI corrects their typos. But am annoyed that they make their corrections with out without leaving a hint that they were wrong in the first place. What is this the Soviet Tass News Agency? Rupert Murdock's Wall Street Journal?

Seriously though, how hard can it be to strikeout unwanted text (leaving it legible) and making the correction properly?

C'mon. You can't fault them when they leave their typos up on the screen, and then correct it, and still lambast them anyway
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

C'mon. You can't fault them when they leave their typos up on the screen, and then correct it, and still lambast them anyway

No, but that's not what I or they did.

They made the correction and left no trace of it, which is called revisionism (in some ways it's similar to how you purposely misrepresented the facts in your post.) As an oversight, it's far more sloppy than not proofreading the article in the first place. If intentional though, it's not merely sloppy, it's sneaky and unethical. In this case it's no big deal, but it still doesn't meet the minimum acceptable standard of journalistic practice.

AI shouldn't allow themselves to slide into the same bin with either Murdock, tabloids, or Stalin. Next thing you know they'll be purchasing stolen property, like Gizmodo!
  • Reply 60 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    iPad and iPod Touch are annihilating Nintendo's traditional audience. They are largely the same price but provide way more functionality and cheaper games.

On one hand I think it would make a lot of sense for nintendo to go in the app store, on the other hand I like the new developers like rovio and gameloft and don't want to see them stomped out in favor of some giant big name console publishers.