Rumor: Apple may hold iPod media event on Sept. 8

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An unverified report claims Apple will hold its annual iPod media event on Sept. 7 and could possibly announce the iPhone 5 later that month September or in early October.

Updated: The publication has clarified that the Sept. 8 date provided is for the Japanese time zone, with the event expected to take place on Sept. 7 in the U.S.

Japanese Mac site Kodawarisan put forth the specific date in a short report on Friday. MacRumors confirmed with the site the date does indeed come from a source, rather than mere guesswork.

According to the report, Apple will release a new line of iPods at the event. The rumor also claimed the fifth-generation iPhone is "likely to be announced" in late September or Early October. Though the publication has been an accurate source for Apple predictions in the past, Friday's report remains unconfirmed.

Last year, the iPod maker held the event on Sept. 1, releasing a new iPod touch, new multi-touch iPod nano, iPod shuffle and the $99 cloud-centric update to the AppleTV.

AppleInsider exclusively reported last month that Apple's product roadmap does not appear to have significant changes in store for the iPod touch, though it may introduce a white model.

In May, photos of a part allegedly for the seventh-generation iPod nano have fueled rumors that Apple may add a 1.3-megapixel camera to the device. The supposed leak came on the heels of a separate unverified photo purportedly of an iPod nano frame that emerged in April.

As for the next-generation iPhone, there is some disagreement as to whether it will arrive in September or October. After numerous reports suggested a September timeframe for the launch, All Things D claimed that their sources were wrong and the handset would not go on sale until October. However, some analysts have continued to put forth September as a likely launch date for the so-called iPhone 5.

Apple's next smartphone is expected to sport the A5 processor found in the iPad 2, as well as an 8-megapixel camera. Recent leaked case designs purportedly for the iPhone 5 that have popped up in China suggest that the externals of the device have been redesigned to include curved sides.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    stsjstsj Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unverified report claims Apple will hold its annual iPod media event on Sept. 8 and could possibly announce the iPhone 5 later that month September or in early October.

I find it unlikely that they would hold an iPod-only media event this fall. The iPod isn't important enough to Apple (or the public) anymore. I think they will either have a combined iPhone/iPod-event, or simply refresh the iPod-lineup quietly.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stsj View Post

I find it unlikely that they would hold an iPod-only media event this fall. The iPod isn't important enough to Apple (or the public) anymore. I think they will either have a combined iPhone/iPod-event, or simply refresh the iPod-lineup quietly.

Not really. Music never goes out of style you know. And not everyone can afford an iPhone (and still pay for monthly bills). iPod appeals to the young and serves as a 'entry' product to make them fall in love with Apple products. And with Apple's wealth today, a media event costs nothing really. Also, it's a part of marketing strategy to keep on organizing events, no matter what the product is, so that the brand can stay visible all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Considering the flagship iPod is almost the exactly the same as the iPhone, why would they announce the iPhone later and after the event.

It's more likely that they will be announced together, and possibly we will have to wait a couple of weeks after the even for the iPhone it to become available.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    I'm starting to get burnt out on Apple rumours.

Seriously... an "unverified report" Apple "might" have an event for the iPod where there is a chance they will annouce a white iPod... does anyone care?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Music never goes out of style you know. And not everyone can afford an iPhone (and still pay for monthly bills). iPod appeals to the young and serves as a 'entry' product to make them fall in love with Apple products. And with Apple's wealth today, a media event costs nothing really. Also, it's a part of marketing strategy to keep on organizing events, no matter what the product is, so that the brand can stay visible all the time.

Everything you said is true... and Apple will continue to sell iPods for the foreseeable future. But I wanna add this:

Apple sold 20 million iPhones with an average selling price of $600 last quarter.

Apple sold 8 million iPods in the same quarter... not sure how it's divided between the Touch, Nano, Shuffle, etc.

While music is still important to many people.... there aren't lines for the latest iPod when it's released. That's why I kinda agree with the idea that Apple won't do an iPod-only event anymore.

Apple certainly could do two events. You're right... it costs Apple next to nothing to hold an event.

But the iPhone event will be the more important one. That's when they bring up developers and all sorts of other people. And with iCloud on the horizon... that's more of an iPhone thing.

Maybe this has something to do with the "product transition" they mentioned in July.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    stsjstsj Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Also, it's a part of marketing strategy to keep on organizing events, no matter what the product is, so that the brand can stay visible all the time.

True enough. They could afford to have events every week without problems. But I guess it's also part of the marketing strategy to have something they can present as important and "magical" on their events. Otherwise media will lose interest and stop coming. My guess is that the iPod alone is not seen as important enough anymore.

But as always - time will show
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Assuming Apple holds ONE September event for it's iPhone/iPod collaboration this year (how could they release new iPods BEFORE the iPhone? Nope. More likely they're not having an iPod event rather than doing iPhone later) this is going to be one jam-packed schedule.

Presumably, we'll see the following:

- iPhone 5

- iPod Nano update

- iPod Touch update

- iOS 5 GM unveiled

- iCloud launch date announced

- iTunes update?

- I believe an iWork update is also on the cards to unify iWork for iOS and OS X a little more.

So with all these things, it's going to be a pretty big event for Apple. I would suggest the Classic and Shuffle will be discontinued, or at the very least not updated this year at all.

The other suggestion is new iPhone/iOS 5/iCloud and then the usual iPod/iTunes event later in Sept or early Oct.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Unbelievable, the iPhone owning users don't seem to know enough to give the iPod its proper respect. The main distinguishing characteristic of the iPhone and iPod touch is iOS and the wealth of apps that often, though not always, take advantage of an internet connection. The main characteristic that separates the iPhone and iPod touch is that the iPhone comes with a mandatory monthly bill of approximately $100 per month.

I agree with the sentiment of this tweet from Tim Bray: "Not really sure this "phone" app on my pocket computer has much of a future."

Another often published tech commentator, John Siracusa, has stated that he purchases iPod touches but not iPhones.

In other words, some of us regard the iPhone (and the competing products) a quaint legacy product that Apple was quite wise to emphasize because there are so many willing customers. But the voice telephony aspect is grotesquely over emphasized and overpriced.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

The other suggestion is new iPhone/iOS 5/iCloud and then the usual iPod/iTunes event later in Sept or early Oct.

If they did 2 events... I could see the iPhone 5 event being held in one of their usual big venues... with a hands-on room afterwards. It will be full of bloggers and press.

The iPod event could be held in the small auditorium on the Apple campus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan. View Post

Unbelievable, the iPhone owning users don't seem to know enough to give the iPod its proper respect. The main distinguishing characteristic of the iPhone and iPod touch is iOS and the wealth of apps that often, though not always, take advantage of an internet connection. The main characteristic that separates the iPhone and iPod touch is that the iPhone comes with a mandatory monthly bill of approximately $100 per month.

In other words, some of us regard the iPhone (and the competing products) a quaint legacy product that Apple was quite wise to emphasize because there are so many willing customers. But the voice telephony aspect is grotesquely over emphasized and overpriced.

I don't think anyone is disrespecting the iPod... it's still the best selling device in its class.

But... the iPhone has become the most important product Apple sells now.

That's not a slam against the iPod... it's just the direction the market is moving.

It used to be that a large portion on WWDC in June was spent on the new iPhone.... with a separate event in September for iPods.

Since they missed a June iPhone launch... it looks like the iPhone will be stealing the iPod's thunder.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Putting a camera in the iPod Shuffle is just about the only thing I can think of that would make that particular device any worse.

I really miss my 2nd gen.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Man, I REALLY hope Apple adds bluetooth to the Nano. I have a 6th gen Nano in a Lunatik band that I wear all the time, but it would be so much more useful if it could communicate with my iPhone similar to how the Sony Ericcson Liveview device works...
  • Reply 12 of 62
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Come on guys - surely the iPhone 5 will be Apple's 'One More Thing'...

• Reply 13 of 62
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Many are expecting the announcement (or lack thereof) of the killing of the iPod Classic form factor.

Whatever happened to the flash being moved far away from the camera on the iPhone?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Putting a camera in the iPod Shuffle is just about the only thing I can think of that would make that particular device any worse.

I really miss my 2nd gen.

Do you mean iPod Nano? They're never going to put a camera on the Shuffle. I know a lot of people who liked having the video camera on the 5th gen Nano. I was really surprised they took it out of the 6th gen along with the video playing ability.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Many are expecting the announcement (or lack thereof) of the killing of the iPod Classic form factor.

Problem with the classic is it's just so bloody good. I bought mine shortly after the 160Gb launched, and it's still perfect. For a 4 year old piece of consumer technology that's damned shiny, but it can't be doing much for the sales figures.

Still I don't expect it to die yet, because it's not an expensive product line to maintain, and they don't yet offer an alternative device that provides close to the same storage.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Problem with the classic is it's just so bloody good. I bought mine shortly after the 160Gb launched, and it's still perfect. For a 4 year old piece of consumer technology that's damned shiny, but it can't be doing much for the sales figures.

Still I don't expect it to die yet, because it's not an expensive product line to maintain, and they don't yet offer an alternative device that provides close to the same storage.

My original (fat) 160GB Classic is beat up all to hell, but it's the only iPod I've owned that hasn't had its battery go bad. I use it constantly.

The Classic is awesome.

But it won't be continued this time. It will be replaced by a (much more expensive) 128GB version of the Touch.

Hell... I really should go out and but a new 160GB Classic before it's too late.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

Man, I REALLY hope Apple adds bluetooth to the Nano. I have a 6th gen Nano in a Lunatik band that I wear all the time, but it would be so much more useful if it could communicate with my iPhone similar to how the Sony Ericcson Liveview device works...

I also have a Nano in a Tik Tok, and I get compliments all the time, even from non-tech people who are amazed that a watch can do that. But yeah, BlueTooth is the missing ingredient.

Still, compared to the Nano 5G, it's crap as a media device.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unverified report claims Apple will hold its annual iPod media event on Sept. 7 and could possibly announce the iPhone 5 later that month September or in early October.

Updated: The publication has clarified that the Sept. 8 date provided is for the Japanese time zone, with the event expected to take place on Sept. 7 in the U.S.

Japanese Mac site Kodawarisan put forth the specific date in a short report on Friday. MacRumors confirmed with the site the date does indeed come from a source, rather than mere guesswork.

According to the report, Apple will release a new line of iPods at the event. The rumor also claimed the fifth-generation iPhone is "likely to be announced" in late September or Early October. Though the publication has been an accurate source for Apple predictions in the past, Friday's report remains unconfirmed.

Last year, the iPod maker held the event on Sept. 1, releasing a new iPod touch, new multi-touch iPod nano, iPod shuffle and the $99 cloud-centric update to the AppleTV.

AppleInsider exclusively reported last month that Apple's product roadmap does not appear to have significant changes in store for the iPod touch, though it may introduce a white model.

In May, photos of a part allegedly for the seventh-generation iPod nano have fueled rumors that Apple may add a 1.3-megapixel camera to the device. The supposed leak came on the heels of a separate unverified photo purportedly of an iPod nano frame that emerged in April.

As for the next-generation iPhone, there is some disagreement as to whether it will arrive in September or October. After numerous reports suggested a September timeframe for the launch, All Things D claimed that their sources were wrong and the handset would not go on sale until October. However, some analysts have continued to put forth September as a likely launch date for the so-called iPhone 5.

Apple's next smartphone is expected to sport the A5 processor found in the iPad 2, as well as an 8-megapixel camera. Recent leaked case designs purportedly for the iPhone 5 that have popped up in China suggest that the externals of the device have been redesigned to include curved sides.

\\But what about the iPhone 5? What is the delay? Is it like cut ands paste, which took Apple years to figure out how to do?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I am still using the first generation iPod shuffle, I have been waiting/wanting to upgrade to iPod Nano for quite some time now. Hope that Apple has something really great to offer.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

I'd agree it would make sense for a joint media event as I assume the top of the range iPodTouch will be close in looks to the iPhone 5.